It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Ghosts are not Real

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Yet you have no proof to back this up. Why do I believe there is no life after death? A little something called science. I don't choose to believe in something just because it makes me feel better.

People see something like a shadow anomaly and immediately based on their pre-conditioning think it's a ghost. I just don't understand how someone can do that. It's because they want to believe!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulstone
reply to post by danielsil18

Yet you have no proof to back this up. Why do I believe there is no life after death? A little something called science. I don't choose to believe in something just because it makes me feel better.

I am sure some people want to feel better. However, it's not true for all people. Some people, like me, want to investigate the phenomenon simply because we are interested in the subject. There are enough witnesses and evidence to seriously investigate this matter. Yes, this is science.

People see something like a shadow anomaly and immediately based on their pre-conditioning think it's a ghost. I just don't understand how someone can do that. It's because they want to believe!

I don't understand? If a person sees a ghost, then he sees a ghost. Nothing more, nothing less. If it is something else, fine. Science will explain in time. Right now, it's mostly unexplainable.

If it's just shadows, then they're just shadows. However, some people, like me and my friend, have witnessed "shadows" that had substance and mass much like you would see in smoke.

There is no use in trying to convince people who have witnessed ghosts because they know what they have seen.

There are many good research on survival after death. Someone mentioned that the brain produces self-consciousness. Well, here's a quote from a doctor:

Some scientists theorize that NDEs are produced by brain chemistry. But, Dr. Peter Fenwick, a neuropsychiatrist and the leading authority in Britain concerning NDEs, believes that these theories fall far short of the facts. In the documentary, "Into the Unknown: Strange But True," Dr. Fenwick describes the state of the brain during a NDE: "The brain isn't functioning. It's not there. It's destroyed. It's abnormal. But, yet, it can produce these very clear experiences ... an unconscious state is when the brain ceases to function. For example, if you faint, you fall to the floor, you don't know what's happening and the brain isn't working. The memory systems are particularly sensitive to unconsciousness. So, you won't remember anything. But, yet, after one of these experiences [a NDE], you come out with clear, lucid memories ... This is a real puzzle for science. I have not yet seen any good scientific explanation which can explain that fact."

www.near-death.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tunedbeats
Ghosts are not real because the whole concept of having a "Soul" (that alot of people hold on too) is false in itself.

Our brain gives us our self-coinciousness, personalities and such. It's all a awesome combination of chemicals that are triggered through experiences. Old and new. I could go deeper in on how this process works but that's not what this thread is for and surely those interested in it can look it up themselves

It''s really scary for alot of people to realise this, because it makes you oh so less special. And it doesnt give you the sanctuary of having a life after death. Personally, I can't even grasp the fact why people even get it in their heads that our "sprits" live on and such. How arrogant is that?

News flash: You are not THAT special.

We are a product of our brains, everyone you meet on the street is a evidence of this.

Energy, now thats something different. People who die might have their life energy "released" and maybe this could manifest into what we call paranormal sightings. Thats all speculations though

EDIT: Let me add that I have had my fare share of paranormal experiences. I have felt chakra's, seen aura's and felt energy flow through my hands (as if I was wading them in water
) - However this is no proof that I have a "soul" or a "spirit". We could very well have some sort of energy flowing through us, but that does not mean that this energy is "me".

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Tunedbeats]

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Tunedbeats]

Our soul is our energy, we never die. Energy can't be destroyed. We always reincarnate.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

We all have energy, energy can't be destroyed.

Of course there is no proof. What can anyone show you? You can't say it's a feel good statement because there is no proof that it doesn't exist. That means it's all up to belief. Do you want to believe that you die and that's it or that your soul reincarnates and you live again in another body?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ghosts will not always stay where they died. They may reside in places that hold importance to them, they spent a lot of time at (enough to leave an energy "print," In these cases often non intelligent residual hauntings), or may be with those they loved.
It is probable that ghosts do not roam most of the world is that they died in peace/contentment, or there was not enough physic energy being put out at the time of their death, or more reasons unknown to us yet.
Please, do more research before posting something like this.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

dave, why do you think that science is so powerful that it can prove or disprove everything?? this seems to be a common belief these days, if you cant prove it it doesnt exist. notice that on this planet only the western world takes such a rational approach, other folks such as people in asia, africa and latin america have spirituality incorporated into their mainstream a lot more.

people once thought that the earth was flat and had every possible rational explanation to back that belief up.

if youre so rational, you should also see the limits of science, but you think that somehow science is above all and if science cant prove it, it doesnt exist.

i think thats stupid.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think the only way to see if souls are real is to have an OBE. Tell someone that lives with you to write numbers in a piece of paper. Tell that person to put it on top of something facing up. If you have an OBE then look at the numbers. If you get them right then you did get out of your body. I think that's the only way to have proof.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Well, it would be nice to be able to prove it. I have ghost photos, and EVP's, but of course you would just argue them, so I am not going to post them. I can tell you I started ouot as a complete skeptic. I didn't believe in ESP, or psychic phenomena, ghosts, god or santa clause.

Then I married a girl from a truly psychic family line, and very quickly I had come to believe in the psychic/esp side. Ghosts came soon after. You have to admit there is something there when you sit and watch things move by themselves. You have to admit there is something there when you are coming up to an intersection and you wife says STOP even though the light is green, and causes you to brake just enough to avoid a pickup truck that comes out of nowhere going 70 miles an hour and blows the redlight. Even though she did not see the truck coming whatsoever, a voice whispered right into her ear. Spirits that my wife doesn't even know come to her, sometimes trying to get messages across, sometimes I think just because she can see and hear them.

I have seen spirits as real as life in a sweat lodge, and ghost lights or what people refer to as "orbs" are very common in a sweat lodge as well. I tell you this. be happy your eyes are not opened, because it changes your whole life when you have to believe.

As for animal ghosts, they most certainly DO exist
We have Yorkies, little dogs, and they run in a little pack. Several have died over the years, yet when the dogs all come running for treats or because someone comes to the door, sometimes there appears to be more dogs than we really have. The others are still here.

We had a huge North American Timberwolf that went about 160 lbs. A truly big massive dog. He ate something that poisoned him, and died suddenly. He is still here. He sometimes is at the end of the dirt road, and runs up the road with me. I just catch glimpses, but he's still here. When we sit in the yard, he is there. One night he came slinking up on our bed and scared us to death in the middle of the night. That really freaked us out cuz he was heavy and pushing down on the bed.

So hey, open your mind. Go seek out some spiritual guidance. Work with meditation and your chakras. This all helps you to connect. We all can do it, so go seek it out like sonya said in the beginning.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If you are looking for proof of ghosts, you need to look no further than a series on Sci-Fi channel called ghost hunters!

Your point about the world being filled with ghosts is valid but not thought out....

Knowing that ghosts are real for fact (personal experiences), I know what you are saying is rubbish.

Did it ever occur to you that people like you and me, go on to a better place after we die? Why the heck would all the dead want to stay in this corrupt world?

The ghosts that ARE here, are here for reasons unknown. Theories suggest that spirits are either staying here by choice, or have unfinished business. Also ghost sightings can be attributed to residual hauntings, which are nothing more than a skipping record of the past.....

For you to dismiss EVERYTHING, is ludicrous!

I would keep an open mind if I were you...........

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well, I have decided to stay open minded. I will continue to find the truth through the resources I have and evidence from previous ghost hunts. I will remain an open minded skeptic. I understand now that doing it under controlled conditions may very well be impossible. There are too many variables that go into a haunting or electromagnetic inter-sections as I call them that enable us to view the phenomena.

I will continue ghost hunting. My next stop is with a group of people including a Wiccan who has had some personal experiences as a medium. We will be going to Valley Forge some time in the fall. That is where I have gotten the most evidence previously. I will continue searching for the truth. I still have doubt as I think any rational person should.

So far, I have an EVP and a light which has no possible way of being there. Unfortunately almost all my evidence was deleted since my brother re-formatted the hard drive on the old computer I was using. I will have to start a new. I will post my findings from the latest ghost hunt which will be probably be sometime in fall or winter.

But still I wonder why no one sees dinosaur spirits if such things exist. Where did they all go? It only seems reasonable that there would be neanderthals and dinosaur ghosts if ghosts exist.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I have to side with the believe on this one. If you have ever had a true experience it would change you forever. I am not sure they what we think, but you can't tell me something is not there. Trust me, just wait and when you least expect it..POW

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soulstone
The title is a bit abrupt and my motives behind it is to grasp your attention as to why ghosts might not be real.

If ghosts or spirits are real why aren't there reported sightings all over NYC after 9/11. Shouldn't the old WTC ruins be completely amassed with ghosts?

Why is it there are places that are haunted in particular when there are death tolls in the thousands in certain places where there does not seem to be any residual or conscious hauntings?

Shouldn't there be ghosts everywhere given the amount of people that have died throughout history on this planet?

Why is it always humans that haunt and not animals? Don't they have the same biological functions.

Some questions that need answers before I can begin to consider the possibility seriously......

This is quite silly to ask all these questions.

But...as an Atheist, I do believe in the paranormal. However, I believe it's all energy.

At Ground Zero in NYC where the towers once built, I assure you if there are buildings built on top of that area, there will be some energy left behind...

Also, there are reports of sightings of the crash in Pennsylvania. Do some research.

Animal hauntings are actually quite common. Once again, do some research.

Ghosts usually haunt areas where they are not at peace with themselves. Others, just cling to that specific location or person they find appealing. Or even individuals are haunted by deceased loved ones. Ever notice graveyards don't get much haunting stories? Well, it's because the dead are finally in a place of peace. If they are disturbed, they will attempt to make their presence known.

Google.com is a great thing. Use it sometime before asking Logical questions that can be answered with No Problem. No harm though, some folks are just not as educated as others...

[edit on 29-8-2008 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
there's about as much evidence for the existence of God and aliens as there is for ghosts. i mean, what are you trying to prove here? did you specifically pick a topic that's near impossible to prove, just to make you feel better about yourself being "right"? why do people always have to choose a side or claim they know the answers just to fit in and ease their mind?

God exists because we exist, aliens exist because you'd have to be pretty darn ignorant to think that we're the only ones in the ENTIRE universe, and ghosts exist because God created many dimensions. as for proof for all of this, well, i have none!

call me "delusional" all you want, and i'll call you an ignorant, closed-minded know-it-all for even daring to challenge the subjects that us humans know next to nothing about. yes, that includes you.

does anyone even know where the subject of ghosts originated??? i don't think ideas exist for no reason at all - something obviously had to spark the very idea of spirits roaming the land after death, because God knows us cavemen can't come up with anything entirely new since every idea ever created was based off of something else.

in fact, i'd LOVE to hear someone mention an idea that is completely novel and unique - one that's NEVER been thought of before and is not based on or stemmed from some other idea! PLEASE enlighten me!

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I didnt read every single post so I apologise in advance for any redundancy that my post may bring. I do not believe in ghosts in the sense that most do but is this plausable:

given energy can not be created or destroyed
assuming our life force is a type of energy(some report auras etc)

could it be possible that all if not some apparitions are displaced energy still maintaining the shape of its last vessel, like some sort of etherial energy echo? I doubt that the "spirit" would have a concious mind but it might "remember" certain actions (protocols) that it used to follow but rather than moving past them it is traped within another energy barrier or its like a "virus for the soul" that the energy will not evolve or do what ever it might do once it leaves the body.

Im probably way off or just being rediculous, but I have yet to get a responce to anything ive posted(i catch everything sooo late) so I will never know.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulstone

If you do try to experience something, and go ghost hunting or whatever, I would suggest recording for evp's. You may not trust what you see or feel, but if you get a weird recording that you can play back that might provide more of what you seek. You can't prove it to the rest of the world, but it might provide the personal proof you seek.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

People devised that the spirit lives on because they couldn't face their own mortality. It's common sense.

Seems people are starting to get angry with me for simply raising a question. I have been open minded throughout this process. As I said I am an open minded skeptic. I said there is something to what's going on just not necessarily ghosts.

I don't get why people are starting to become attack dogs towards me. If anyone here is close minded skeptical it is dave. Maybe you all should read the posts instead of just doing selective reading.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I know, I am recording all of them and will post them

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well i have a story for you Soulstone, feel free in beleaving it or not.
A few years ago i was living in a flat on the 2nd floor with my parents, and one night when i went to sleep i woke up because i heard some knocking on the door. When i watched at the clock it shoved 12am or 1am, i cant remember for sure, but it was a fix time.
So i went out and i opened the door but no one was there. I thought that somebody just came to the wrong apartement and thats why nobody was there.
So i've went back and tried to go to sleep. After one minute or something like that i heard the same knockings on the door strangely with the same rhythm.
So i went out again thinking this time that someone is f..ing with me. I went to the door very quietly. When i looked out still no one could be seen, but i didnt hear any footsteps either. So i went ou and looked around on the floors if somebody is there. Nothing, nobody wast on the floors. I went back but at this time i started getting confused. I laid down in my bed and i was waiting. At this time i was starting to feel something strange, when you know that something is not right. I didnt had to wait for long because the knocking returned with the same rhythm in it. Now i was starting to get scared, and many things rushed through my mined. I thought that what if my mind is playing tricks on me. I was confused and wery scared. I went to the door for the 3rd time also very quietly. This time i've put the chaine on the door so nobody could come in if i opened the door. S o when i opened the door only a few inches still nobody was there. At this time i was so scared tha i was almost pissing myself. I went back to bed and when i heard the same knockings on the door i rushed to my parents and told them to come with me. My father said that he could also hear some knockng. But with this moment when telling to my parents about these happenings, everything just stoped of a sudden.
So if you are sceptical about paranormal activities that means that you have never had any real life experience with these things.
After my grandfather has died there were also some paranormal thing going on in our house, but in my parents room. And the strange thing is that my mother is a very sceptical person, you cant convince her about these things, but when she experienced it also than she changed her mind totally.
So my message to you is that there are many things around us that we cant understand, and only a few people has experienced these strange things, but those who do can change there beliefs radically.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

call me "delusional" all you want, and i'll call you an ignorant, closed-minded know-it-all for even daring to challenge the subjects that us humans know next to nothing about. yes, that includes you.

Do you see you are contradicting yourself? You said in your post that God created many dimensions and all humans. "You know next to nothing about it" so why make up stories?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xshocker33

So how does knocking translate to a ghost?

Also sorry about your grandfather.

[edit on 29-8-2008 by Soulstone]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join