It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain disrespects the dedication of American workers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by evanmontegarde

This McCain way to promote and support illegal immigration in America.

Plain and simple, he doesn't want to come out right and tell America how important is for corporate America to have slave workers, so he is using his words.

Once again marg6043 you nailed it!

Look at McCain's record on immigration. I can't believe he is the GOP candidate. The NAU will be here before we know it and we will all be slave workers. All hail the Corporatacracy!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

.why don't you hire those unwed, welfare mothers and get them off the govt. payrolls!! you know the kind... the ones that went to private schools, had 2 loving parents, a good home enviornment, people like you encouraging and helping them in the community.

At the corporations I worked for I did not have final say on hires. Also human resources does the screening before I ever saw a candidate, so I told them I want older workers so they do not get screened out due to age. (Age discrimination is NOT part of the equal rights act) The one time I did have say, I interviewed several college graduates and hired a guy who was 22, worked construction and had a GED. The boss (Phd) could not understand why I wanted him instead of the college grads. I had a real uphill battle to convince the boss but I did hire him and he was the best worker I ever had. No the best worker I ever had was a 12 year old foster kid. That girl was more mature and sharper than a lot of the college grads I have worked with. The key word is MATURE, I have hired, Blacks, Hispanics, Orientals, old, and young I do not care as long as they are willing to do the work.

unwed mothers” I have hired them when I worked for corporations. Unfortunately as a small business I can not compete with the amount they are paid NOT to work unless I pay “under the table” and that gets me in trouble with the government.

I want to clear up one myth that many people seem to have. There are two types of farms. Corporate farms and traditional family farms. Please keep in mind I am talking about GROSS sales not net. (net is 5 to 10 % of gross, if you are lucky) In 2002 there were over 2.1 million farms according to the Ag census. Only 70,642 of those had GROSS sales over $500,000 (or $50,000 net). 1.67 million had GROSS sales under $50,000 that is a net of around $5,000. According to NAAI 80% of the livestock is controlled by less than 1000 people/corporations. My neighbor who raises chickens said he has not gotten a pay increase for his chickens in over 10 years. The company owns the buildings and when they are finally paid for the regs change or it does not pass the company inspections and he has to tear it down and go into hock to the corporation to build a new one. So he like most farmers I know he has a full time job so he can continue farming and provide the food you buy so cheaply.

”...And I owe my soul to the company store...”

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
come now, its no secret that the wealthy elite openly despise the working class american. Almost None of our politicians and representatives have anything in common with us, which is why we cant understand how they could wage war for oil or power, and why they dont understand why social services and civil protections are necessary. They believe that freedom and reasonable salaries are just tools the poor ignorant masses would use to wedge themselves further into depravity, alcoholism, and laziness, so they go out of their way, from the kindness of their hearts, to protect us from those 2 evils. In a country as powerful and wealthy as america you dont have an average per capita income of 28k by mistake. In a country as powerful and wealthy as america you dont have 2.2 million people in prison on accident. In a country as powerful and wealthy as america, you dont have 40 million people without recourse to good healthcare, and 4 million people losing their homes, unless its something your representatives think is ok.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I feel like I also need to point out this video was from 2006 - two years ago. It's possible McCain has changed his stance on this somewhat now that the crackdown of illegal workers is in full swing and we see that yes, Americans actually WILL fill these manual labor jobs. Even politicians can be proven wrong and can learn from their mistakes. The question is, did McCain?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Yup. Absolutely, dumb move and execution on his part.

He does have a valid point in there, even though he completely loses it with this poor attempt.

The point he attempted to make, of course, was that business can't find sufficient labor to get some jobs done.

It hardly rises to the level of "disrespecting American workers".

[edit on 28-8-2008 by loam]

Except I imagine what he means by saying business can't find sufficient labor to get some jobs done here, is in relation to their new standards: China, which admittedly has a small growing middle class, with a huge slave labor work force that has the lowest wage imaginable and almost zero rights. Guess thats pretty much what they want for here as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Is he serious? Because I'd totally pick some lettuce for $50/hr man. That's some good money for an honorable task in my book.
How can anyone say picking lettuce is a bad thing?

McCain has failed to impress me with any point he's tried to make and if anything, appears to be senile were it not for his "handlers" helping him along.
Whatta stooge.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Unfortunately, here in Arizona this is a real problem, and apparently elsewhere too:

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-11-20-winter-harvest_x.htm
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9766514
www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/us/05export.html
www.jobbankusa.com/News/Jobs/jobs_in_jeopardy_1.html
azimmigrationcompliance.com/arizonaimmigrationlaw/

Especially since Sheriff Joe started enforcing AZ's new anti-illegal laws and conducting large raids to round up illegals and send them packing. Many illegals here didn't wait for Sheriff Joe's posse to round them up. We've had a mass emigration of illegals since McCain said this, so it's even more true now. And remember this is a desert. Temps hit 100 degrees in May, and 110+ days are common during the summer. At times, we're just happy if our low hits below 100. High temps don't go down below 100 until at least October, sometimes November. There are not enough Americans who can and/or will and/or do get the job done. McCain was just calling it as it is.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This video is hilarious and it's already becoming a Youtube phenomenon:

I seriously cannot believe that anyone would even consider voting for this guy. He is obviously completely clueless.
I can understand that he was making a point about the work ethic of young people but seriously.....

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I think you are sadly mistaken if you believe anyone can carve out some sort of life while on welfare let alone also provide one for there boyfriend. That is unless a life would consist of barely feeding yourself let alone your child, constant verification of your current situation to see if it has changed. Getting cut off from your welfare for various infractions(missing appointment, paystub problem). Forced court actions against babies father, even if father is part of childs life financially. The whole process is demeaning and it can hardly count as a way to live unless your previous situation and/or life has been in complete poverty.

As soon as you said it I knew you must have never been apart of it or known anything about it.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

At first I was going to tell you that it is unfair to say something like this and generalize a generation of people- but after some thought I think I will have to agree with you on this. I am only 24, but I look around at other people my age and within my same generation and I can't understand what is going through their head. I enjoy life and love to have a good time as much as the next guy but it seems like more and more people are thinking that 30-35 is the new 20 and have no desire or ambition to do anything until around that age. Some actually step up to the bar once there is a child in the picture, but so many don’t and Its ridiculous. How many 25 an higher people need to live at home with mommy, get out of the house and earn some money. At 24, and from a broken single parent(grandma) home way below the poverty line we did ok- and at my age I am married, have an excellent job with great benefits, own a house and 3 cars(not new or fancy, but we own them)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
come on his statement is rediculous, and it does nothing to reflect our current situation. His point, as stated, is that americans couldnt hold a job for GREAT or good pay due to their lack of work ethic....but thats not the situation our country is in. Our manufacturers expect our workers to slave away for horrible pay, in fact a pay that often wont pay bills and living expenses, and when americans wont do the job for this minimum amount of subsistence, they offer the job to illegals. All this in a country whose GDP has DOUBLED since the 70's as the average workers buying power has DROPPED. What this basically means, is that since the 70's our business owners have been making more and more money, and demanding more and more productivity, and yet paying our average workers less and less. THAT is a more realistic representation of the picture. So why would an average joe want to beggar themselves working for a farthing, for an owner who obviously just wants to make the maximum dollar of his sweat, while providing him as little as possible in return. Industry for a small time was groups of people working TOGETHER and taking care of each other so they could all benefit, now it is about funnelling the work of many blue collar people all up to the profit of one. So solve THAT problem mccain or obama, and then you will have solved half the problems of our nation.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Maybe the reason why Mr.Mccain was bold enough to make his statement...

Is because to John Mccain, $50.00 an hour "is the minimum wage" lol!!!!

I'd do anything for $50.00 an hour...

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by baffledon911

No I did not fall into that trap but I did live in the combat zone in Boston, you know with the dead guy in the parking lot and the women raped behind the building. I realize those who got trapped and were honest have major problems but I know a whole heck of a lot more that worked the system big time. I hate the welfare system because it is just that, a trap with no good way out, and the government wants it that way.

Even those with an education have a tough time getting decent jobs these days. I am very glad I am near the end of my life and I do not have children. Do not aim you anger at me. I spent most of my life working in factories and living in apartments. I now spend a lot of time talking to kids and their parents about how important a good education is. I have had some of my kids come back and thank my husband and I for changing their lives and getting them on the track to a better education. At least I have tried to make a difference.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
50 dollars an hour? I'll pick lettuce. Who wouldn't?

Just shows how out of touch McCain is if he thinks 50dollars an hour is a low wage.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Let me see...lettuce grows in cool weather. Right now it's 8:50 pm where I live and it is 81F, so anything below 80 degrees would be nice. I've worked as a nurse in surgery for 22.5 straight hours one holiday, I've torn out and rebuilt hundreds of feet of fence by my little 4'10" self, I move hay bales and feed horses every day---50/hr.? No phones ringing, no people dying, no stress.... I'm short, so I can cut the lettuce easier than a tall person. Where do I sign up? I could chill my brain with some menial work for one season. Sorry, McCain, I WON'T pick okra.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

There is a lot more to it than that. Before the seventies there was no OSHA, EPA and most of the rest of the bureaucracy. Taxes were reasonable. On minimum wage (that is what I was earning) you could afford a decent life if you were careful. More important corporations expected to hire someone and train them. You expected as an employee to stay with one company for the rest of your working life. Then a whole lot of laws were passed. Taxpayers got hit with a triple whammy.

1. We had to pay in taxes for the additional bureaucrats.
2. Our real wages decreased due to inflation from the Vietnam war
3. Corporations had to make changes in equipment and buildings to meet the new standards. They also had to hire new people to deal with the increase in paperwork. All this added cost was passed to the consumer.

On top of this mess, laws were changed and leveraged buyouts became the rage. Well run Corporations became targets. I worked for a place with no debt. They were self-insured and a great place to work. They became a target and a well run corporation is no more.

Now the government employs over 14% of the work force directly. and those who actually produce, farmers, factory workers, miners... are a mire 11%. Is it any wonder the US is in trouble?

Capitalists were not to blame the government laws passed in response to liberal pressure to "save the enviornment" and "protect the worker" were along with pressure from investors to change banking laws.

"Suspicion is a Virtue, if in the interests of the good of the people." Patrick Henry

top topics

<< 1   >>

join