It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain disrespects the dedication of American workers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

John McCain suggests that even if offered $50 an hour to pick lettuce, they wouldn't do it because they don't have enough work ethic.

Well, "you can't do it" is not what I want to hear out of a Presidential candidate and not what the American Dream is all about.

Mod Edit: BB Code.

[edit on 27/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

The link does not work.

Please fix it, thank you.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
You sould fix the link

Yes, McCain appears to be in the middle of another "oops" statement on this one...

[edit on 8/27/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
$50 an hour?! Sign me up!! Ive hauled alfalfa hay (tossing 80-100 lb bales on a trailer and then stacking it in a barn later) for days on end for way less pay than that.

Granted it would be a pretty crummy job but for that kind of pay I know tons of people that would do it. I just don't know who to vote for, it seems like both candidates have zero respect for working class Americans. This is coming from someone who grew up on a farm and knows what its like to work literally from sunrise to sunset. (not all the time of course
)

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
That's it! These are the only comments people care to say about McCain??? Seriously, he is truly disrespecting Americans all over this country and none of his supporters have anything to say about this?

Well I guess the standard response would be.......wait for it............wait for it...........

"Well that statement is taken out of context"

Ahhhhh politics, gotta love it. I think I will take my chances on a black dude with little experience over an old dude with no concept of anything that remotely involves the "average Joe".

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Yup. Absolutely, dumb move and execution on his part.

He does have a valid point in there, even though he completely loses it with this poor attempt.

The point he attempted to make, of course, was that business can't find sufficient labor to get some jobs done.

It hardly rises to the level of "disrespecting American workers".

[edit on 28-8-2008 by loam]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Thats because the business doesn't offer sufficient reimbursement

Mexicans come over here and do the job for $5.00 an hour

Americans' can't live on $5.00 an hour - so why the hell should they do the backbreaking labor for it?

McCain's attitude in this video is shocking......

If Americans arent hard working individuals - then who the hell built this country?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Maybe.

McCain's attitude in this video is shocking......

It certainly was less than eloquent.

I don't think he expected someone to raise their hand.

:shk:

He should have taken a different approach.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am curious as to how many of the audience members raised their hands for that proposal. If I was there, well... you bet my sorry butt I would have been ready to sign up.

$50 an hour, my goodness...! the minimum wage in my home state is only $7.50 an hour and I know plenty of people working 'all season long' like myself... have gotten nowhere. (although I'm salaried at 11.00 an hour) If you think pickin' lettuce is hard, try pulling weeds every evening after working a 12 hour shift and filling in to the tune of 70 hour weeks. Aww, nevermind.

I ask, since when did $50 an hour fall into the "low paying jobs" category? Last I checked, not recently.

That is an insane statement IMHO, and frankly it shows a general lack of knowledge of what lengths 'your average American' will go to to make ends meat.

Crap man, I would even be willing to drive my sorry butt down there in my old van for that kinda cash. Serious.

Maybe us 'poor folk' here should send some emails asking where to get the job application. I know I could definately use a raise. How about you?

T-

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
First, Interesting topic op.

I think McCain is half right and half wrong.
Depends on how you view work ethics.

Do you include working a lot of hours or do you judge it by being responsible, showing up on time for work, putting in a hard day work for a hard day pay, dressing appropriately, accepting authority, etc. etc..?

Here is one article that says work ethics is not the problem

The failure here isn't in the work ethic of Americans. Rather, it lies with the CEOs, business owners, university and hospital administrators, and government officials—and ultimately, with all of us who benefit from cheap labor

source

Here is an article that says work ethics is part of the problem

Management experts predict that many companies will have a difficult time retaining young workers as the baby boomers retire," Camardese told the audience. The traditional corporate policies and management style in the U.S. "conflict with the lifestyle of younger workers."

source

On a personal note, I worked at a unionized papermill for 5 years. I honestly worked for 15 minutes out of every hour and got paid $20 an hour for it. 45 minutes out of every hour was spent BSing with the other workers, reading newspaper, sleeping, or talking on the phone. The only reason I worked overtime was because it was easy money. Included was an excellent health care and retirement plan. I always felt I was being overpaid but I ain't no fool- I never complained. Life was too good.

Unfortunately my easy job ended when the company shut down. It couldn't compete with foreign competition where labor is cheaper and environmental laws are laxer. This company was the highest paying manufacturer in our area and it hurt the community when it closed. I saw a lot of guys who had been there for more years than I who earned almost double what I earned resort to working at local stores and restaurants. Talk about a severe cut in pay. This illustrated to me that some Americans do have a strong work ethic and will take lower paying jobs if push come to shove.

However now I work as a GED teacher (with less pay) and also help my students find jobs. The majority of my students never get their GED because they have a poor work ethic when it comes to studying. Many are unwilling to listen, don't show up as required, very disrespectful, and point blank-don't care. When I try to find them jobs, most refuse to work at the places that are hiring such as McDonald's, Wal-Mart, chicken factory($10 an hour plus benefits), and other businesses that pay decent wages for our area. When I ask him why not, they say they want an easy job that pays a lot of money. I tell them if that is what they want they need to get a good education. My advice usually falls on death ears.

What I am saying is that this younger generation (not all) are different from mine. That doesn't mean it is a bad thing, but they are different. Not only do I see this at work but I also see it in the community when I go shopping, out to eat at a restaurant, or any other similar setting. The service is bad for the most part due to a lack of work ethics. Sometimes I just point blank get ignored while they are busy talking on their personal cell phone on company time.

Has anybody else noticed this about the younger generation?

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I think he was talking about his own lazy ass.

I too have spent days loading hay on a trailer, and so have a lot of my friends. As a matter of fact we did it for NO PAY at barns where I kept my horse. There are a couple million family and hobby farms in the USA and most do the work on those farms alone or along side the hired help.

The reason farmers (and small businesses) can not find US citizens to work is because the US government pays them to sit on their fannies and watch TV. It is called welfare. The girls have babies and the guys live off them.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

sorry jam ...but you working only 15 min an hour at a job and getting paid for the full houreither is a crock or you are not telling the whole story. and the fact you mentioned it was a union job, implying that the union forces businesses to pay for that kind of waste tells me there is is some other motive for your post. union jobs make up only 8% of the work force today. most other jobs people are working longer, with increases in productivity, not matched by increases in their pay. the american people have been told they are supposed to be competing globally...that is like a man trying to make a living cutting lawns competing against the kid down the street mowing the lawn for some spending money... the results are the same, but the kid does it cheaper. if we want cheaper labor done by people who will work hard, lets start at the top...cheaper CEOs from india, cheaper lawyers from mexico, cheaper machinists from southeast asia, cheaper technicians from china. big business doesn't care about national pride or patriotism, they simply move their operations to the most cost effective location. instead of blameing the american worker, why doesn't somebody start blameing those that have the money and the power.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
I think he was talking about his own lazy ass.

I too have spent days loading hay on a trailer, and so have a lot of my friends. As a matter of fact we did it for NO PAY at barns where I kept my horse. There are a couple million family and hobby farms in the USA and most do the work on those farms alone or along side the hired help.

The reason farmers (and small businesses) can not find US citizens to work is because the US government pays them to sit on their fannies and watch TV. It is called welfare. The girls have babies and the guys live off them.

ok mister smart guy..tell us how much to pay people in your world. and if you could, show us how that great paycheck of yours would pay for shelter, food, clothing, transportation, health care, of course after taxes are taken out. and how is that hired help you refer to, doing with their own living expenses, maybe you can ask them while you're tending to your stabled horse. oh, and all of those lazy, welfare cheating, baby making, fanny sitting guys... you must have all the data on those right in front of you, right? maybe you can tell that to the men who are fighting in Iraq and their families are on welfare or getting food stamps back in the states. or the people who are working 2 jobs because 1 job doesn't even pay for their basic needs. i know...why don't you get off your lazy ass and see if you can help some people that have not been as fortunate as you. huh! yeah, i didn't think so...it's so much fun for you to put down other people that are really struggling by lumping everyone into the same "on welfare" catagory.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I ran a quality lab for various companies for many years and now run a small business. As you say the younger generation does not show up to work on time, takes long breaks and lunch hours and will even saw F@@ U when the boss asks them to quit reading a magazine and do some work! I fired more than one of these people who then whined they did not understand why they were being fired.
I now only hire older people since they know how to work. I wish corporate America understood this, but they do not want to hire anyone over the age of forty, they rather import someone from another country than hire an older worker.

The work ethic problem McCain is talking about was manufactured by the US government. Between the public schools and welfare for unwed mothers, kids learn a "why should we work attitude." Unfortunately they and the rest of this country are in for a very rude awakening

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'm still not sure I understand what he was trying to say...
He got a bit flustered...

I know MANY people who would work all season for $50/hr. Did he say $50/hr???

"You can't do it, my friend" - John McCain

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by jam321

I ran a quality lab for various companies for many years and now run a small business. As you say the younger generation does not show up to work on time, takes long breaks and lunch hours and will even saw F@@ U when the boss asks them to quit reading a magazine and do some work! I fired more than one of these people who then whined they did not understand why they were being fired.
I now only hire older people since they know how to work. I wish corporate America understood this, but they do not want to hire anyone over the age of forty, they rather import someone from another country than hire an older worker.

The work ethic problem McCain is talking about was manufactured by the US government. Between the public schools and welfare for unwed mothers, kids learn a "why should we work attitude." Unfortunately they and the rest of this country are in for a very rude awakening

could you give us some more information...like how young were these workers you had? were they still in school? how much were you paying them? what were the hours they were working? and were all of them, 100% like this? and in your world we would just get rid of the terrible public schools. i got an idea.. .why don't you hire those unwed, welfare mothers and get them off the govt. payrolls!! you know the kind... the ones that went to private schools, had 2 loving parents, a good home enviornment, people like you encouraging and helping them in the community.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm still not sure I understand what he was trying to say...
He got a bit flustered...

I know MANY people who would work all season for $50/hr. Did he say $50/hr???

"You can't do it, my friend" - John McCain

well, 8 thousand a month is what he is willing to pay and he thinks that the majority of people make that kind of money. statements like that show what a fine president he would make!!!! NOT!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

ok mister smart guy..tell us how much to pay people in your world. and if you could, show us how that great paycheck of yours would pay for shelter, food, clothing, transportation, health care, of course after taxes are taken out. and how is that hired help you refer to, doing with their own living expenses, maybe you can ask them while your tending to your stabled horse.

"smart guy" sorry I am female.

"pay people in your world" I started out on minimum wage with a job out of college. Also as a female I was ALWAYS paid much less than my co-workers.

" hired help you refer to" A lot better than the guys my neighbor's hire since I pay well above minimum wage. I also generally hire retirees and we negotiate the wages and hours. I have several people I hire and they work if they wish or not. It is called casual labor.

"your stabled horse" My horse is not stabled, she is pastured. The "Stables" I boarded at while I lived in city apartments were the cheapest available. That means I helped hay, feed and water, cleaned stalls, fixed fences, bale hay, anything to help the owner keep the price down. I paid for this by NOT smoking, NOT drinking, driving old clunkers, and living in cheap apartments in nasty neighborhoods.

Tell me why is is considered "politically correct" to blow money on booze and drugs or have illegitimate kids so you can live off welfare, but as soon as anyone mentions a horse everyone thinks spoiled rich kid.

Just to set the record straight. There are a lot of girls and women whose dream is to own a horse. The friends I referred to worked as nurses, waitresses, in laundries, as store clerks and factory workers. They had a dream and they worked darn hard to have their one bit of heaven, sure beats booze or drugs in my book. Oh and my business is bring my bit of heaven -a pony- to kids. I have even brought my ponies to the inner city of Boston and let me tell you there is nothing to beat the big grin on a kid's face when she gets to sit on a pony for the first time.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

This McCain way to promote and support illegal immigration in America.

Plain and simple, he doesn't want to come out right and tell America how important is for corporate America to have slave workers, so he is using his words.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
As a sample of the younger population I would like to vouch for those of us that are not wastes of space. I'm 27 now, but I've always been a good worker. I believe that if I put in the effort I'll be rewarded, and I have been. When I was in college I worked at Papa John's. They always put me in on the busiest times because they knew I would keep up. I was asked more than once to be a shift runner (sub-manager of sorts) but I declined. Honestly the extra 15 cents an hour wasn't worth the extra responsibility and headaches. I did get burned out after about 6 months straight of nothing but literally running around the shop. I did go back a year later though and they were thrilled to have me. These days I get to sit in a cushy office taking care of servers, but I got here by busting my ass - self studying for certifications, taking any contract job I could get to put on my resume, etc. I've moved up here at my job once and I see myself doing it again in the next year or two tops.

Maybe I'm not "normal" for this generation, or maybe I'm just on the fringe of the lazy generation. I didn't mean to boast, but I do take pride that I've worked hard to make a decent living.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join