It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does science prove the existence of God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
You people are funny, why cant things exist without god. To ask the question about science and god is ridiculous.

God exists in your mind and nowhere else,and you know that. Stop trying to tie it to real things.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Yeah Ashley,

That's just your opinion. Doesn't mean it's right. Why can't you be at least open to the possibility that there may be a god? Instead of having a mind so welded shut and just saying it's only in our minds. I can be wrong, but you can also be wrong. Deal with it.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
and why cant u open ur mind to the possibility that god DOES NOT EXIST

EDITED, the trillion or so smilies were throwing out the page layout.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by Kano]

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Hey man, if you want people to take you seriously, you really need to calm down with those smilies...

People will believe in God until the end of time, there's really nothing anyone can do about that. I'm one of those people. If you in some way want to prove that God doesn't exist, by all means try. I've already told you the reason why God allows pain and suffering, so do you have something else? But if you're gonna sit there and act foolish with all those smilies and looking immature it doesn't help you any.

PS. If there are any mods out there, can you erase half of those smilies in his last post? It's screwing up the format of the page. Thanks.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No argument here - I do absolutely believe that it's possible there is no god & I also believe there might be a god. At this point in time I'm leaning toward god's existence.

I spent most of my life not believing in god and I guess if I wasn't open to learning new things or considering other peoples opinions, I wouldn't have changed mine.

Nothing wrong with attacking other peoples opinions either, but the one or two sentence attacks as some have posted in this thread shows little thought towards the subject due to lazyness or just the lack of enough knowledge to say anything more.

My mama always said, if you don't have anything nice to say.....

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Hrm, I think the answer to the question is a resounding no.

In the dim past of ATS, there was a long and bloody war on this very topic. I was on the Atheist side of the argument. The one conclusion we came up with is this:

Religous beliefs, by definition, are unprovable. It is a matter of Faith. Science can examine parts of religious texts, and show them to be true or false. But science can never prove or disprove the existence of a 'God'. It is for people to make their own decisions. Faith and Science are not mutually exclusive, but one can never prove or disprove the other. Its apples and oranges.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Kano is right, but there I would like to add my personal opinion. You can believe in god all you want, but you have got to admit that there is nothing that indicates its existance. More and more phenomena can be explained through science and I think that we've come to the level where god is no longer required to explain the world. Occam's Razor cutting superfluous entities out the picture.

There is nothing anymore that indicates its existance.
From a purely science viewpoint even, any theory with god in it is flawed, because it's unfalsifiable. If it doesn't work, it were simply god's mysterious ways. In my opinion using a religion in the field of science will get you nowhere. All advances in science were without a god in the theory.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by amantine]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Explain to me why it always has to be about religion or faith when God is mentioned? I still think that science can find evidence of God, but faith or religion must not be in the way. Treat God like a Higgs Boson (something that you suspect could be there but are not sure as yet), formulate your hypothesis about God, your formula's and test them . If it's possible to do so given the hypothesis, formula's, the facilities for experimentation available, and most importantly the scientists who are willing to do double blind tests independantly of the one who came up with the hypothesis, and who have the guts to be able to revise current scientific theories (which means no fear of ridicule from scientific peers) if they repeatedly conflict with the experiments and testing of the hypothesis or hypotheses.

Scientists themselves admit that the scientific theories, physics... May be totally wrong, but they are the most accurate description of how the universe works, except for some anomalies.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't think science has disproven God. We may be well on our way to better understand Him and His workings, but there are still so many gaps in our understanding... gaps that only religion could fill... unless you take into account quantum physics and the chaos theories.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
"I'm sitting in a car by myself, talking to myself. Now that's chaos theory."
-Ian Malcolm

(Just had to throw that in there, sorry)

oba

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
uhhh ....

[edit on 31-10-2004 by oba]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

Oh well, in my opinion, science , art, nothing PROVES the existence of god. Its a leap of faith, something you choose or choose not to know. It's not something you beleive. It's something you just know.

For once something this guy says makes sense! Theres a first time for everything!

yeah its the truth its a leap of faith. What you have to decide whats the biggest leap of faith.

Most scientific theories of evolution require far greater leaps of faith than religion (a word i rarely say).

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
God does not have to prove anything to anybody religious groups has always interpreted God as a being with humas feelings and humas characteristics because people wants to feel that they have something in comun with him I am sorry that is not so and It will never be, we are beings of energy incase in a human shell and if science is going to prove the existance of God, science already did it when they prove that energy is what controls our existant here in earth and in space most human can not see beyong their churches and bibles, get over it and start thinking of God not as aperson but as and energy source he does not have to deal we wars and sickness and the hungry because that is a human condition we have created that we are the ones to blame not he, blame the religious groups the goverments the people in power they are the ones to blame. We are all beutiful beings.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What about Jesus? He took human form, he had human characteristics. If a religious person wants to believe that their god has human characteristics, that's their choice and you cant say "nope that's not so". Because I highly doubt you have the knowledge, experience, or qualifications to say otherwise. How can you say that God does not have human characteristics? Have you ever met God?

I personally semi-agree with you, I'm just being devil's advocate I guess. I believe that Jesus is humanlike, but I waver between God being humanlike and merely a higher "being" be it of energy, emotions, whatever.

I'm just saying that you can't say "no that's not right" because you don't really know what is or is not the truth on the matter.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Does science prove god? No. Can or could it someday? Possibly. But right now, there is absolutely no rational evidence that supports god. Belief in god is based solely on faith. IF there were actual evidence in support of a god, there would be no need for faith. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, evidence. Belief in god is irrational. Bottom Line.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I do not mean to offend anybody that believe in Jesus but as with everything, Jesus is the link that man used to be like God and to link to it. Sorry but it is just a human condition and creation he may have been real but not more real than any other proclaim martyr by the church Just because they tell you is true you believe in it why? because we have been train to believe that we have to belong to something and in order to belong to it has to be something to link to it the church has never been able to proved God that is why Jesus comes to life ,a human link and the bible so you can feel that you belong. I am sorry if my views are to open but since I was a child I have always been able to see what others can not, I wish others were able to see too but most people can see, but they deny themself It is very hard to explain to somebody that never has seen, It like your mind knows and everything is clear and make sense to you but when you tried to explain others they can not conect, their minds are close and comprehension does not reach the way it does to you, we all sheare the same collective mind but we think ourselves as individuals so we dont even try we all belong to the same source but we still think we are independent our human struggle has always been the desire to belong to something but we still feel lonley thats when the church comes in they take your mind your soul and your will to learn what are you and who you are.

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by adcadcadc

I know they is may be a controversial topic but does anyone believe that science or technology proves the existence of god?

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't. Science is everything, and everything is science. It has nothing to do with "god".

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
YES, YES IT HAVE BEEN PROVED OK!!!!!!!ENERGY WE ARE ENERGY OUR BRAIN HAS ELECTRICAL WAVES, THE UNIVERSE IS MADE OF ENERGY WE WERE CREATED BY ENERGY SO OUR CREATOR IS PURE ENERGY.
I am still under the human condition so I still feel angry and happy and everything else I just dont feel guilty by religious standards.

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
YES, YES IT HAVE BEEN PROVED OK!!!!!!!ENERGY WE ARE ENERGY OUR BRAIN HAS ELECTRICAL WAVES, THE UNIVERSE IS MADE OF ENERGY WE WERE CREATED BY ENERGY SO OUR CREATOR IS PURE ENERGY.

How the #, from that, do you come to the conclusion that there must be a god ?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter

Originally posted by Tjololo
why cant JUST GOOD exist?

Because if just good existed, it wouldn't be good. You wouldn't know what it was because there would be no evil to contrast it. You need both to be able to define them...

NOTHING takes up residence in existence without duality. Think about it, can you think of a single thing that does not have an opposite? If good existed without bad, then it would not be good as we conceive it because it would not have a point of reference (bad/evil) through which to define its own existence. Nothing 'exists' on its own; everything is interconnected and that is how Existence has come to be. Confused? Read the RANT in my signature.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join