It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant galaxy cluster seen in early universe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Giant galaxy cluster seen in early universe

www.space.com

Astronomers have glimpsed the largest cluster of galaxies ever seen in the distant, early universe.

The discovery of this far-off group, estimated to contain as much mass as a thousand large galaxies, offers further proof of the existence of the enigmatic force called dark energy.

"This is the most luminous, and therefore probably the most massive, cluster of galaxies discovered at this epoch,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
As i've heard said before... to think we are alone in this wide expanse of space is simply idiotic. 1 planet out of a possible few trillion planets thats capable of holding life? Thats some ODDS for ya.
-Z-

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a pretty amazing discovery. This cluster is as far away as some sources of gamma ray bursts.

When astronomers look at distant objects, they are looking back in time, in this case seeing objects that are 7.7 billion light-years away.

Even better the image taken was from the Large Binocular Telescope in Arizona which recently opened the second tube and now has better capability than Hubble.

Nice find.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thanks, I found it interesting myself. Them talking about further proving dark matter excited me a bit also...
I wonder what our viewing capabilities will be like 10 years from now? I think in the very near future we will finally find out for SURE that we arent alone in this universe.
Nice on the external image link.
Beautiful aint it?
-Z-

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZyPHeR

As i've heard said before... to think we are alone in this wide expanse of space is simply idiotic. 1 planet out of a possible few trillion planets thats capable of holding life? Thats some ODDS for ya.
-Z-

Indeed it shows how egoistical humans are when they believe this gigantic universe is for their eyes only.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Exactly... its only when we start asking, "what if?" that everything starts becoming clear. I think people nowadays are so closed minded about how much bigger the picture really is. Here we are, living on a spinning rock, the size of a trillionth of a molecule in the infinite expanse of space and people are too busy thinking about whether to get nike's or fila's to wonder whats really out there. Its sad I tell ya. Some people need to pick up a book.

-Z-

EDIT: Spellcheck.

[edit on 8/25/2008 by ZyPHeR]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by JustAThought

I don't follow your thinking. Who said they believed that the Universe was for our eyes only?

I don't know of anyone who insists that there are no lifeforms elsewhere. It seems very likely that we'll find microorganisms on Europa.

At any rate, withholding comment until the facts are in is anything but egotistic; it's merely prudent.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I guess what I meant was INTELLIGENT lifeforms. We're the only beings smart enough to comprehend math, physics or astronomy? Cmon....

I do agree with microorganisms though... I think we can definately find them lots of places and theyre definately the first step to finding somewhat INTELLIGENT lifeforms other than ours in the universe.

EDIT: Had to add intelligent

[edit on 8/25/2008 by ZyPHeR]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Nice thread...

My imagination goes crazy with those kind of pictures...

Also fuels that dark matter stufff....

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Yeah, it seems like dark matter is getting more and more plausible by the day... If this telescope is so awesome, why dont we take incredibly awesome pics of mars or the moon? I mean... wouldnt they be highly detailed and prove that man actually went to the moon, etc.?
-Z-

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
When it comes to life beyond earth the chances of that happening are unlimited, every little dot you see on those photos is yet another chance, nobody really knows how many planets orbit each star we see out there, and also we don't know much about dimensions that we cannot see.

We could be living amongst being right now that we don't even know exist. Galactic ships in the universe could be cloaked from our sight and technology.

We have no idea, were only starting to unravel the beginning of something big everyday that our research progresses, its up to us to either trust or decipher what Nasa puts out to the public, they're more then likely holding back alot of information regarding the cosmos that they feel is rather sensitive material for the public.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I second that motion. Im just dying to see the day when the gov opens up and says, without a doubt, there IS other intelligent life in space. We are arranging a meeting, blah blah blah.
I just hope the alien chicks are hot.

-Z-

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I am still stunned by the notion that we can capture energies emitted over 7 billion years ago!

At that time (if there is such a thing as we think we understand it) the universe may or may not have been an amazingly different place. Since the matter of the universe was so radically different in tis distribution, I find myself wondering if the physics of the universe as we observe it today were not different.

As for life, heck, the realm of debate about that is now down to two sides, those who accept the inevitability, and those who can't because of their faith.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Hmmm, imagine seeing an all ending cosmic blast through that thing 7 billion years ago... then you could step back and say, "Wow... people 7 billion years from now are screwed! ...wait... thats now!! :O"

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I am still stunned by the notion that we can capture energies emitted over 7 billion years ago!

that is of course if there is a corelation between redshift and distance

(a high-redshift quasar in front of a low redshift galaxy)
www.haltonarp.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What exactly is redshift? Any good links I can read up on?
Sorry, im not that great with all this scientific stuff.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ZyPHeR

You can compare it to a doppler effect. The faster light moves away from you, the more it's shifted to the red in the spectrum. So by measuring the redshift, it's possible to determine how far an object is located from us (in theorie). It's the basis of big bang cosmology.

The pic I posted comes from the site of Halton Arp. He found that a lot of quasars with a high redshift are located in front of lesser redshift galaxies, wich should be impossible according to big bang cosmology.

A good introduction movie to watch would be "thunderbolts of the gods" which you can find on video.google.com
Allso I would recomend the site www.holoscience.com

here is an article with a lot of references to redshift on holoscience:
www.holoscience.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There is no doubt that the odds are there that there is life on other planets, but amebas are not capable of space flight. Also, how many will become intelligent or intelligent enough to make it to space.

Besides, by the time they evolve enough to reach us, we will probably be long gone, extinct!

As for the comment "I hope alien chicks are hot" is absurd. You have been watching too much Star Trek. The fact is, aliens are not likely to be anything similar to human form unless you beleive in the conspiracy theory that we were planted here by aliens.

If the time that life existed in the universe was measured in a 24 hour day, the time life exists on earth would be equivilant to 1 second, and the human race, 1 millisecond. It is unlikely that our time on this Earth will overlap any other super intelligent beings close enough to get to us.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The universe is comedy, It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if we were the most advanced beings in the universe. We see the big bang and know that to us it happened billions of years ago and thats a staggering amount of time...to a human. To a universe it could have been yesterday, it could be that we are living in the first few moments of our universes life. And it has a LONG way to go.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
dark energy\matter is the original matter that was in this universe before the matter everything we see is made off arrived in the big bang..the dark matter is totally opposite to our matter and respells it like oil and washing liquid respell each other force the matter into the smallest form i.e. spheres.. i also believe the dark matter is responsible for most of the gravity on earth as it pushes down on it..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join