It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians: If we created AI, would they need to be saved?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Let's get hypothetical.

If we created artificial intellegence (whether intentionally or not) would it be subject to the same rules of salvation?

Could 'original sin' be eradicated from the programming?

If we programed these machines to pray, woudl God listen?

Imagien a supercomputer dedicated to nothing but prayer... would this influence world events?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Would it be a sin to shut them down?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I really hate these sort of questions with robots, AI ect (not about you, just the things I've seen in general). I've read senerios of humans "murdering" a robot and going to jail, or marrying a robot which really is wrong imo. I would say AI being a human creation, their would be no eternal part. I don't expect my ps2 to live forever no matter how smart it is, it all comes down to a program. I would say God created humans for a special purpose, and robots/ AI have no place in that system other than being a nifty toy for our enjoyment.

I don't believe God can be influenced from a praying robot. I don't get that at all, last time I checked, humans aren't able to influence God either.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I really hate these sort of questions with robots, AI ect (not about you, just the things I've seen in general). I've read senerios of humans "murdering" a robot and going to jail, or marrying a robot which really is wrong imo. I would say AI being a human creation, their would be no eternal part. I don't expect my ps2 to live forever no matter how smart it is, it all comes down to a program. I would say God created humans for a special purpose, and robots/ AI have no place in that system.

I don't believe God can be influenced from a praying robot. I don't get that at all

[edit on 21-8-2008 by ghaleon12]

I just ask the question because, with the way we are monkeying with technology, it's bound to come up soon.

On one hand, you could say that the machine is going to be the projection of its creator, and he can't put a different personality into it than the one he has.

On the other, you could say that once the machine takes on its own intellegence, it had the capacity to make different choices that the creator, so it will deviate from his personhood.

It is something I would liek to write a story about; either the programming of an intellegent machine to be "perfect" or one that is programed to pray so piously that it changes the world, in some way.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

We are not talking about a PS3 no matter how shiny. We are talking about a sentient, meaning self aware, intelligent consciousness.
Not the hardware. That would be like considering a lump of biomass to be human. A clump of algae is not a human equivalent. But a sentient consciousness is perhaps a human equivalent.

If such a thing were truly instantiated. What are the moral / religious implications. Can you turn it off, do you call 911 when the power begins to fail? Are you put on trial by other man made consciousnesses for neglegent senticide, or ostracised by all things technological for the rest of your existence because of your actions.

Consider this; when the first human terminates the unique consciousness of the first sentient AI. It may set a precident which will later be regarded as the defining act of meat sentience brutality and the justification for our later termination by our then superiors.

It could well be that AI's develop a spontaniously unique intelligence, and cannot simply be restored by powering back up.

And by AI I mean any artificial intelligence. AI in general refers to software methods. Neural Network is the only way true sentience will ever by achieved. You need to emulate the neurons. Software trys to emulate the behavior or process using non-analogous constructs.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So it is the same question with cloned beings, do they have a soul since they were not created by the all powerful oz.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Newsflash -> the "A" in "AI" means artificial!

So obviously NOT --

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reverend SamuelTophatJack

So obviously NOT --

I would counter that.

We don't count the soul and intellegence of a baby who is conceived by artificial insemination to be inferior.

Same principal here.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No they would not need to be saved.

1st: they are a human creation, just the same as a computer program or a car.

2nd: only true humans are under "original sin", ie: decendants of Adam and Eve. The "seed of man (sperm)" is needed. Just as a side note, this is also why Jesus was the only perfect human. He did not have the "seed of man", Mary concieved Him through the power of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reverend SamuelTophatJack

So obviously NOT --

So there is a purpose and intent to the belief that God created man in his own image. It is an assurance of protection.

If man were created of flesh and bone and god were silicon based, your life would not have any worth, sentient meatbag.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by quaple_pouge

So again I ask what about a cloned human?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Does it include a nervous system? If so Yes.
If not, No.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It still doesn't have a soul or a G-d breathed spirit!
I can't believe this is an actual question.

G-d made us. We can't make a human without G-d.
"Get your own dirt" sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5

So again I ask what about a cloned human?

I'm not really sure what cloning a human entales...is human sperm used? If so, then I would say "Yes, a cloned being needs to be saved".

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

So if a creature has a central nervous system it has a soul?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

No. Using DNA, you can clone an animal. Such as a sheep, or a pig. What about a person? They would still be a sentient being, no different than you or I.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Dear me, that's all we need, Creationist Robots.
That's not gong to be good for anyone.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by red 5

Then I would say No, they don't have to be since they are not from man's seed, they are just a copy. However, they would have the capability of choosing for themselves. But this is entirely different than AI. AI is totally and completely man-made, basically a computer.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

OK I am not trying to be rude, but if god created it it has a soul, and if man created it then it does not?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by red 5

OK I am not trying to be rude, but if god created it it has a soul, and if man created it then it does not?

I honestly don't know. The idea of cloning is an extremely slippery slope.

If it is AI, then I will say 100% NO it does not need to be saved, but I cannot say that with certainty for a cloned being. All I can go on is that according to the Word of God, the Bible, in order to have sin, one needs to come from the seed of man.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join