It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'House' discovered in cliff side,(in use by unknown, not anceint)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Was the a button inside with a timer counting down? oO

If so, look out, ben might sneak up on you with the others and make you build an air strip for no reason!!!

Oh and watch out for polar bears and smoke monsters there...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It would be very hard to force someone up that ladder, so no I don't think the local lasses were being dragged off for ravishment, they would need to have volunteered. Could you imagine the repeated disappointment in getting your beautiful captive that close, only to loose her on the rocks below. Attempt after attempt. Very disappointing, better to just ravish them on the boat and make them walk the plank after, Harrr!

It's getting so you can't have a secret place without people thinking you are Jack the Ripper. Can you imagine being the first person to climb that to put the ladder up?

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

Lol@ the concept of a hatch in Scotland.

I bet Desmond is inside somewhere... and the police failed to report that they were decade old Dharma Beer cans.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
lol, I used to make some pretty well thought out forts back when I was a kid too... one of them is still there, in the ground of a forest near CFB Trenton.

I went for a hike to reminisce of my childhood years, and to my astonishment, it was still there.

The entrance was badly rusted and the wooden support frame down below was rotting, but it was still there.

Too small for me to crawl into now at my age, but it looked just as spacious inside as I remembered it. Pity I couldn't get inside again.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodcircle

If so, look out, ben might sneak up on you with the others and make you build an air strip for no reason!!!

OK, lets back up here...

Umm... what?

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This place is used very often by sea fishermen .

The cliffs in Arbroath are very popular and its surprising the lengths these guys go to to keep warm and dry , especially when they are doing all nighters

Saying that , the place is also popular with foreign students who have been known to catch and cook the seagulls
so I suppose the cave could have been used for anything .

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It's DB Cooper's place! LOL! Sorry for the one liner, couldn't resist.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

Could be a hermit just wanting to be left alone. Using a rope ladder would seem that they/he/she/it wanted to remain undiscovered while there.
More than likely, kids.
As a youth, I built tree houses, secret hide-aways and such, I though evrybody did that, if there was an area to build such a thing.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

My first thought is...

They found D4rk Kn1ghts hideout!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Awesome find!

I wonder what it is and what it's been or being used for...this is one to watch!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben420

Originally posted by bloodcircle

OK, lets back up here...

Umm... what?

hehe, Not a LOST fan I gather

Never mind, I was just having fun with the situation.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomen
reply to post by bloodcircle

Lol@ the concept of a hatch in Scotland.

I bet Desmond is inside somewhere... and the police failed to report that they were decade old Dharma Beer cans.

Lol, true - but I doubt honest Scotts would touch that stuff, looked far too bland imo.

Also, there was no hatch called Haggis on the map.. arrrr

(ps my old mums a scott, so dinny start yer flames on me!!)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
For some very strange reason, the first thing I thought of when I read this article was Sawney Bean. Although I certainly hope that whatever this cave home was used for in no way bears any similarities to that legend!

LOL...same thing I thought of too! Dark minds think alike.

For those that have never heard of Sawney Bean, it is the story about a large incestuous cannibalistic family that lived in a cave in the cliffs of Scottland in the 16th century and survived by murdering/robbing/eating travelers that passed by on the beach.

www.tursa.com...

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

now thats what i call a gruesome tale

just hope that this doesnt happen nowdays anymore!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
perhaps it was part of the coastal defense system during WW2.

This is the most likely.

Living on the other side of the pond, I know that the most strange, creepy, or seemingly pointless dwellings and buildings, and doors and strange places, are typically from a previous era, usually a war era, like coastal WWII or WWI, or even the U.S. Civil War.

There's a fort near me that has been retired for active military purposes, but remains open for some other reasons, it is called Fort Monroe. It has all kinds of really old, prison-like rooms sealed off with metal bar-doors.. each empty besides some debris or things built into the walls etc. I'm told it was used in WWI and WWII as a coastal defense and a military prison, and before that was a military prison as far back as the US Civil War. Apparently the Confederate leader/President Jefferson Davis was held captive there, but I do not know if thats true. If you look it up, you will discover my state of residence. Obviously i dont care .. lol.

en.wikipedia.org...
During the initial exploration by the mission headed by Captain Christopher Newport in the earliest days of the Colony of Virginia, the site was identified as a strategic defensive location. In May of 1607, they established the first permanent English settlement in the present-day United States about 25 miles further inland from the Bay along the James River at Jamestown. The land area where Fort Monroe is located became part of Elizabeth Cittie [sic] in 1619, Elizabeth River Shire in 1634, and was included in Elizabeth City County when it was formed in 1643. Over 300 years later, in 1952, Elizabeth City County and Fort Monroe's neighbor, the nearby Town of Phoebus, agreed to consolidate with the smaller independent city of Hampton, which became one of the large Seven Cities of Hampton Roads.

Beginning by 1609, fortifications had been established at Old Point Comfort during Virginia's first two centuries. However, the much more substantial facility of stone to become known as Fort Monroe (and adjacent Fort Wool on a man-made island across the channel) were completed in 1834. The principal facility was named in honor of U.S. President James Monroe. Throughout the American Civil War (1861-1865), although most of Virginia became part of the Confederate States of America, Fort Monroe remained in Union hands. It became notable as a historic and symbolic site of early freedom for former slaves under the provisions of contraband policies and later the Emancipation Proclamation. For several years thereafter, the former Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, was imprisoned in the area now known as the Casemate Museum on the base.

Why is this relevant? Because! anyone living near Coastal Virginia who can get onto Fort Monroe should take the opportunity! There are tons of strange places in the casemat to explore.. there are multiple "batteries" or "buildings" built into the cliffsides and such, and there are replica cannons on top where they used to be. Might be real who knows. And most importantly, it reminds me of the location DESCRIBED by the OP .. look at this picture, this is what the fort looks like in certain places, except with alot more concrete invovled:

(this is actually Malta)

[edit on 8/22/2008 by runetang]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Chains on the wall? not a good sign but why did they leak this to the news without sitting around and seeing who was using it? Sloppy coppers. Was there any hidden tunnels in this house or elsewhere in the cliffs? It's a good idea for a retreat thou. As long as the cliff above isn't decaying rapidly. Post more pics if you see any.

they probably have surveillance on it to see if the owner returns. They most likely are not mentioning that fact so as to not scare off the homeowner. they really need to get inside and check for DNA and blood on the walls and floor. a blacklight would work great around those chains on the wall...

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

WOW WOW !! No one even knows who actually lives there (if it is the case) and we are already screaming "SUSPECT"??? How come??

Originally posted by Cyberbian
It's getting so you can't have a secret place without people thinking you are Jack the Ripper. Can you imagine being the first person to climb that to put the ladder up?

Exactly !!
What is so absolutely wrong about wanting to get out of cities? What's wrong about isolating yourself by choice?

Oh wait... I get it... there's no property taxes involved, right? It doesn't have an official address... there's no water and electricity taxes/payments involved also, right?... hmm....

Peace

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

I think you missed the reports of a woman screaming by the cliffs and the chains on the wall. My guess would be that it was made by a local boater who might have had rockclimbing experience to get up the cliff in the first place and then haul the construction material to and up the cliff. If the hideaway has been there for awhile I would guess maybe a Nazi spy was holed up there. The disguising of the door was pretty good.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thats what I was thinking at first. A hidden house where you dont have to pay any form of taxes and its hidden well away from anyone. But I was also thinking drugs and possibley money. Or simpley somewhere for fisherman!

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

For those that have never heard of Sawney Bean, it is the story about a large incestuous cannibalistic family that lived in a cave in the cliffs of Scottland in the 16th century and survived by murdering/robbing/eating travelers that passed by on the beach.

Sounds like "The Cliffs Have Eyes"

I honestly doubt it was any type of youngsters. It has to be accessed by not the calmest of water, although not necessarily that rough.

If it were from an older era, then someone had to replace that rope ladder recently. Rope ladders dont fare too well exposed to light and salt water on a daily basis after forty or so odd years.

I think the local authorities would be justified in stopping by for a visit in order to gather "census information". We are coming close to the end fo the decade, it would be preferable if this person cooperated fully with the census. Then they can get a legitamate mailbox as well and begin recieving the bills for the new property tax.

They are still in a governed land.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join