It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer games industry threat to downloaders: 'pay up or we'll sue'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
TextText Ok right first of we should not be even getting fined, all you people don't get it, first of i think that lime wire,u torrent should be fined for putting the p2p downloads and torrent's not us for god sake, its ridiculous these programs are letting these illegal programs,music exc to be put on here its not our choice its theres if the owners of these software want to fine us it's wrong they should be fining them first of, and secondly do you really think that millions of people who download are getting fined they do not have the time to search every computer first of and also we should not be getting a fine straight away it should be a warning anyway.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
i still dont see why the jack asses havent cashed in on the file sharing, on itunes they must be making a pretty sweet amount of money for every song downloaded, if the companies of the music, game and movie industry sold it online they'd make money from it but they havent thought bout it properly and are actually deciding to bring in lawyers fees to the money they're already losing

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

It's about time action is being taken against these criminals...
If the trend continues soon we will have no music industry, no game designers and no software evolution...

Prison sentences should be included in the legislation to deal with multiple offenders, be they minors or not...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthWolfe CND

ROFL , this has been happening for years , and it did not seem to cause any damage to most company´s , since they continue to grow

And if you have money to spend in cinema , games and music go ahead and spend it , not everybody his lucky enough to have money to spend in the exorbitating prices of those products , i know i dont.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by dracodie]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Theft; receiving stolen property
Sec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft

You download a game, movie or music, and you have deprived the original owner of possible profit. By the definition you provided, that's theft. It seems you're the one who's ignorant of the law.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Kranil]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kranil
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Theft; receiving stolen property
Sec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft

You download a game, movie or music, and you have deprived the original owner of possible profit. By the definition you provided, that's theft. It seems you're the one who's ignorant of the law.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by Kranil]

Err, not quite so in other countries!

In Canada filesharing is 100% legal!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
These guys didn't get the details legally.They have been using an "illegal" virus program made by logistep.
Which has been known to "print" these threatening letter to people printers.
It has been banned in many European country's for invasion of privacy.
And some lawyers who have used it have been banned from practicing law.
It is just an illegal profiteering exercise.
If people can afford to buy it, 99% will.
Therefore they are not lost revenue to begin with.

The RIAA has made the precedent of illegally gaining records and suing their own consumers. I thought this was illegal, but it would only be illegal if you were not a corporate entity with lots of money for lawyers.

This is gaining speed everywhere and pretty soon, criminals will be suing non-criminals for wages lost for home owners not allowing said criminals to rob their houses.

Once again, it is all about control and intimidation. Both the UK and the US are watching their countries turn fascist. Very sad.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
A lot of people use this excuse of "If they put out decent product at good price, I would pay". Well to me that doesn't fly, if it's a garbage product or overpriced, why waste your time on it. Same goes for people who say they don't have any money, in that case you get no product, you do not have some magic entitlement to it.

When you make a product, it's your right to set the price and conditions, and if people don't like that, they don't buy, it's that simple. To me these arguments are as retarded as saying "I didn't like the price of that Ralph Lauren jacket, so I just took it". Just because the cost of reproduction is much less for digital items, doesn't mean you can just trample all over the owners rights.

Personally I avoid all this garbage mostly by using Open Source products, listening to music on Creative Commons, and so on. Sometimes this means I may not be getting the same quality product, but it's all free, with no legal worries, and because I save so much money, I don't mind paying up £7 ($14~) for an album or DVD when it's a good one.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

Computer games industry threat to downloaders: 'pay up or we'll sue'

technology.timesonline.co.uk

The computer games industry has launched an unprecedented assault on illegal downloads, demanding payment from thousands of families who obtained the latest releases over the internet without paying.

Five of the world’s top games developers will serve notice on 25,000 people across the UK, requiring each one to pay £300 immediately to settle out of court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theregister.co.uk
arstechnica.com
www.paidcontent.co.uk

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/8/2008 by Mirthful Me]

I knew it.

DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING YOU CAN!!!!

The DNS patch was just a big spoof to capture all the pirates and hackers. Games are really dumb to spin. They obviously have code to detect unregistered copies. Unless of course the world wide big government just patched the DNS.

And furthermore there are loads of cds and other data storage media on sale right now for dirt cheap. Maybe the 20,000 or so people that were busted should turn around and sue these companies that make these technologies available. What the hell is everyone going to do with all this "empty" storage?

Then sue Microsoft for leading the piracy industry with their bogus firewall and virus protection code.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I currently work in the games industry, because of the modern day of age we live in, technology has made developers think outside the box and how to benefit from people file sharing and downloading.

This is where the FTP (free to play model) comes in, there's a massive shift in the online industry with this model. By providing the game for FREE you actively encourage people to join your game.

Ok, what does the developer get out of this?
Alright, they just made this game for FREE, that's right FREE, But in return they have valuable information such as your email and other personal details.

The main point with FTP is that you can only excel to a certain level, this is where Micro payment systems come in,
So you need a special sward or the next upgrade of Armour, BUY IT from the developer!!!!

This model works GREAT in Asia, seems no one wants to pay for games but are happy to pay for extra in game equipment.

This is the new strategy currently being implemented in the gaming industry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play
www.freetoplay.org

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

See, this is the kind of thing I was implying when stating game makers need to learn to make money through games without upfront payment.

Thats a novel idea.
Other game makers are realizing that there's an almost infinite amount of virtual billboard space in games, which can be used for advertising. Hence, income. The more people that play the game, the more money they get through advertisements in the game.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Yep , there has been a big bang in advertising thru videogames

According to Sony, it will introduce dynamic in-game advertising to its titles in an attempt "to bolster the already rapidly growing worldwide in-game advertising industry, which is expected to grow 1,150 percent to $971.3 million between 2006 and 2011 according to the Yankee Group."

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
If piracy would end, believe it profits would go down.
For example the gamecube console , ps2 and xbox were easy to "crack" to read copied dvd´s , while gamecube read mini DVD´s , and it was a pain in the ass to "crack" it , that was one of the reasons that made gamecube a failure.

So being the other 2 easiest to "crack" they sold alot more , it was a win situation for sony and microsoft , the same is happening today with ps3 and xbox 360 psp and nintendo DS , all of them except the ps3 are VERY, VERY easy to modify to read copied dvd´s , or iso´s , and the piracy that is consequence of that does not seem to be affecting the game industry . on the contrary , the game industry is growing at a incredible speed.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Nintendo, being ever the innovator, is taking a hold most people don't even realize yet with their virtual store wherefrom old Nintendo classics can be bought and played on the Wii console.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
And its wrong to call a person a "digital pirate" because it downloads content for personal use , the real ‘digital pirates" are the ones that profit of the download content.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
A thousand facepalms are in order.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Orion Crystal Ice

Uhhhhhhh , OK.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It's been said before, but I'll say it again...

If I was certain that the artists true work was being represented, they received the majority of the profits, the media was distributed digitally and priced accordingly (I'd say 10-30 cents per track is fair), then I would purchase music.

Unfortunately things have not changed, despite great leaps in the venues of distribution. Even a 99 cent track on iTunes is a ridiculous price, considering the actual cost of storing and transmitting the data is a small percentage of that cost.

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dracodie

For example the gamecube console , ps2 and xbox were easy to "crack" to read copied dvd´s , while gamecube read mini DVD´s , and it was a pain in the ass to "crack" it , that was one of the reasons that made gamecube a failure.

This is just pure and utter nonsense. Want to talk about examples? Look at the Dreamcast. Sega screwed the pooch on that one and basically made the Dreamcast the most pirate-friendly console in recent history. Just burn a boot disk and away you go. Despite a strong start, and a great game library, by the end of the second year Sega was basically giving Dreamcasts away for free in a vain attempt to push it further into the market and gain a hold on the consumer base.

The problem is, console developers sell their product at a massive loss with the intention of making that money back on game sales via licensing fees. If everyone is pirating, then all that money the manufacturer is putting out to get their hardware base established does not return the investment. They LOSE money.

If you recall correctly, a somewhat similar problem plagued the PlayStation 2 when it first came out. It's architecture was horrid and it's launch utterly pathetic. Fantavision? Summoner? Nobody cared because all they were interested in was the promise of MGS2. They didn't buy a PS2 for games... they bought it for a cheap DVD player. So the attach rate for games to units was like 1:1 - and since DVDs don't return licensing fees - they lost out BIGTIME early on.

Not to blame the Dreamcast's demise solely on pirates, but they did play a substantial contribution to the console's death.

(Also, Wii is selling like gangbustas despite being harder to pirate for than it's competition)

[edit on 22-8-2008 by Lasheic]

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The dreamcast was not a failure because of the piracy , it was principally because of the hype that the realease of the ps2 caused , and the poor marketing and advertising of the dreamcast.

PS2 sold because of the hype that was generated around it , and sony had a name in the market thanks to ps1 , plus it was the cheapest dvd at the time , and had a release game that sold ps2´s like candy , gran turismo 3.

That was the problem of sega , not the piracy of the console.

[edit on 22-8-2008 by dracodie]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join