It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer games industry threat to downloaders: 'pay up or we'll sue'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I download a movie first. if I like it I'll either pay to see it or buy the DvD. if I don't like it I won't pay for it.

Or my main problem is some of my favorite shows and movies are from France and Japan. Guess what? Most of it doesn't sell in America. Hard to buy something that isn't being sold...

Or heck, some American things that aren't being sold. Daria ring a bell? Greatest show MTV ever had and no DvD box sets. How to watch it then? Am I going to be sued for downloading the episodes when they don't sell the show!?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I have to laugh at those that bitch and moan about how downloading games, music, videos etc is immoral and unethical. Then explain to me why it is that corporations give us the tools to do such? You want to stop piracy? Then stop producing the tools such as recordable media (DVD, Bluray, CD's etc), dvd/cd/bluray burners etc. Stop providing sites where people can pay to download games, music, movies etc.

MP3 is a great example. When it first hit the net, it was about downloading music for free. Now we have mp3 players!!!

And don't try to sell that its hurting the programers, artists, actors/actresses. Do you think a company like EA Games tells its programers, "Sorry John, but for every game that has been pirated, there will be a cut in your pay". Programmers get paid no matter what. And they get paid very well I might ad. And its obviously not hurting artists, actors and even film producers, they live very comfortable.

Honestly I could give too #s about the flim industry. They charge outrageous rates for movies and dvds etc. So what if mr cruise can only buy 3 25 million dollar houses instead 5.

Someone (i'm sorry I forgot who, I apologize) made a reference about stealing from auto workers etc. See now there is a difference, Auto workers, factory workers, farmers etc actually work very hard for their money. On the other hand, actors do not. They have a very pampered lifestyle, so I don't feel bad downloading one of their movies.

I will admit, I download music, movies and games. If I enjoy the game, movie or music, then I will go out and purchase it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by no_pulse
MP3 is a great example. When it first hit the net, it was about downloading music for free. Now we have mp3 players!!!

Even before the net. Back in BBS days. But yeah... 'Buy MP3's'... LOL!!!

It is concepts like product activation like Valve's steam that make people hate buying the game.
Not long ago I picked up Nero as I was going to buy it, then saw product activation on the back then put it down and walked out.

People don't like paying for their product, then going home and having to bow down to the manufacturer to 'unlock' the game you just bought. Then theres the BS of these elements compiling every serial number and part inside your computer and sending it off. THEN, onces you've 'unlocked' it, you find adverts along with it!

This type of # pisses me off.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Nikolas]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Orion Crystal Ice

And to build a computer it costs only $200? What about the ecological cost of all the cd's and dvd's? Or the chemicals in the game industry products, the inks? These are the polution makers, yet their products seem not to reflect the ecological effects of the manufacturing process. How about the effects of mining all these materials? Whose stealing from whom here?

See it all comes down to how you look at the situations. We define reality so narrow in the piracy debate that we fail to account for the piracy involved in getting the computer built and brought to market in the first place. All these plastics and inks have to effect not just us but generations down the line. Which seems worse, all this junk getting into our bodies or piracy. I'm not saying the one doesn't matter, but which matters most. Which should we be focused upon, where the most unknowns exist?

All this software when physically manufactured creates wastes that end up in landfills, are these game companies going to go around cleaning up landfills with all their profits so future generations won't have to deal with all these chemicals that have pirated their health? Just some questions to ponde.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikolas

It is concepts like product activation like Valve's steam that make people hate buying the game.
Not long ago I picked up Nero as I was going to buy it, then saw product activation on the back then put it down and walked out.

People don't like paying for their product, then going home and having to bow down to the manufacturer to 'unlock' the game you just bought. Then theres the BS of these elements compiling every serial number and part inside your computer and sending it off. THEN, onces you've 'unlocked' it, you find adverts along with it!

I agree. Apparently EA's Battlefield 2142 has advertisement built into the game! WTF is that #? I don't buy a game just to see advertisement! I remember the good old days when you could go to a movie and just watch the movie. Now we have 30min of advertisments! Its ridiculous. Previews of new movies is one thing, but advertisement of cars and soft drinks, I digress.

Don't forget starforce protection on some games. It has been well known, that this protection is installed silently on your computer has been known to damage optical drives and hard drives. Ya, thats what I want on my computer. A type of protection software that can be harmful to my computer drives.

I refuse to buy a game that has starforce protection. I'm not taking a chance to that it will damage my drives.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikolas

Even before the net. Back in BBS days. But yeah... 'Buy MP3's'... LOL!!!

I totaly agree. When I bought Winblows XP pro, I had to have everything activated. Alot of my old personaly paid for software would ne work even when I went through the BS with MS. I got lucky though, My brother had access to The Enterprise version and I could load that, use my legal registration and no more problems with activation. My damned laptop has Vista on it and I have to use my desktop to do any work because of the activation problems with that. I'm hoping my brother comes through with an enterprise version of that.

Zindo

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
hahaha how many lawsuits have we seen like this in the past several years and how much has changed... i guess video game companies... music producers... and television networks wont be able to swim in indoor pools full of hundred dollar bills anymore... what a #ing shame... look nothing is going to change... you cant stop people from downloading music and games and such... its impossible... these companies put out basically horrible products then complain because people arent paying them...? most of the music being downloaded is made solely to sell records... there's no real concept of music... video games basically zombify the youth... and television brainwashes us all... if it weren't for illegal music downloads i think i would have a much more narrow point of view when it comes to music... but oh well you people wont agree with me probably... but you're still going to turn out wrong so i could care less

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
And if piracy was over i guess no one would need , ´
24mb net connection´s , mp3´s , updating the computer
with the latest hardware , etc , so probably Unemployment would rise.
And its ironic that Sony complains about piracy , when themselves sell blank cd´s that are used in piracy

And i love how the people that buy the originals are the ones that have to take all the anti piracy propanganda , like the warning in the dvd´s before the movie starts , or buyng a game thru valve and losing the internet connection , making it impossible to play it ...etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Usual blah blah piracy justification rants here. It's quite simple, if no money goes to the creators there are no creators. You just expect others to pay for it. It's a shame that this attitude pervades our society.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Guess what? I d/l Wanted and Hancock. Guess what? I then PAID to see Wanted and not Hancock. And when they come out on DvD? I'll buy Wanted, and not Hancock.

Or Spore, I'll buy that as soon as the day it is out. Why? I've played the creature creator, researched the game, and know I will like it. Civ 3? I d/l it, played for about an hour, then deleted it. Why? Didn't like it enough to go out and buy it.

D/l is a great way to test something before buying. If I like it enough I'll shell out the money. If it sucks or I am bored after an hour I delete it and won't buy it.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The point of movie piracy to me is to try before I buy.

If I like it, I buy it, if I don't no big deal.

If it weren't for the internet, I'd just be borrowing someone else's copy to try before I buy... so the creators are STILL not going to get my money until I know I like it.

If they have a problem with that... then maybe they should be trying to make a good product.

They haven't lost anything from my end. I'll always try before I buy, with or without the internet, they won't get a cent from me unless it's good.
Otherwise, I'm totally deaf to their whining.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Apparently EA's Battlefield 2142 has advertisement built into the game!

Hah! funny you said Battlefield 2142. I was going buy that game, but you needed to 'unlock' it. So, ended up spending night after night down at my local LAN playing it. Would of spent more than it would have cost me to buy it, but money wasen't the point. I will not bow down to 'unlock' something I paid for.

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
When I bought Winblows XP pro, I had to have everything activated.

The Enterprise version and I could load that, use my legal registration and no more problems with activation.

Yeah, back when I was about 20 I bought windows XP retail, came home, and for the first time experienced a new concept of bull #; product activation! I just paid $600 for the software, so you could imagine how pissed I was. Since then, I have never bought software that uses product activation, and never will.

Your right about the enterprise edition of XP. There is no activation bull # with it.

[edit on 25-8-2008 by Nikolas]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I hate people that download software, music, films, without paying for them. There is no excuse. All three industries have plunged since broadband connections have become popular. And people wonder why the Internet is going to be censored?

Get a job, get off your arse and BUY THE GAME. £40 a game is well worth it with the content you're given nowadays. 20 years ago we used to pay £10 for 1MB of a game and didn'y whinge and complain.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardee

dont know

maybe the people that regulate this should consider the following

High tax on entertainment products
Higher prices compared to other european countries
(double the price of what it is in the US)

we pay avarge 30%-50% more then the americans do

if they want to stop iligal downloads maybe they should start with treating us like people insted of fools and charge us a decent price
insted of ripping us off with a fudging high price.

and for the record
i have spent a fortune over the years on this crap and regret it

one reason i got my first part time job as soon as i could.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardee
Get a job, get off your arse and BUY THE GAME. £40 a game is well worth it with the content you're given nowadays. 20 years ago we used to pay £10 for 1MB of a game and didn'y whinge and complain.

FYI I have a great job. But I refuse to pay with my hard earned money for crap! People like you make me laugh because you think the industry is suffering. Thats BS.

The funny thing is the same industry that is against piracy is making the products to pirate i.e blank cds/dvds, cd/dvd burners. Take Sony for instance, they are making money on both ends. They make money on those that buy dvd burners and media and buy selling movies/music on cds/dvds. And who do you think makes a huge profit for companies that sell cd/dvd media and burners? Thats right, people that pirate!

If piracy is such a huge problem, why not ban cd/dvd media and burners? Only allow businesses to use cd/dvd burners for business purposes? And have ISP's completely stop torrent traffic and get rid of newsgroups.

I don't care if people think i'm an a-hole for downloading games, movies and music. I don't lose sleep over it.

BTW I pre-ordered Spore. That's right, I BOUGHT it and its not even out yet. I paid $90 for the galatic edition. That game is amazing and well worth my hard earned money. Does buying it justify for all the games I download and didn't buy? Nope. And I don't care. I buy games that are worth it.

[edit on 8/25/2008 by no_pulse]

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Look the industry isn't suffering, atleast the big companies aren't. Like EA for example, which pushes crap out just to make a quick buck. But downloading Games without paying for them is wrong. Go rent the game, before you buy it. I seen many great game making companies get destroyed once P2P programs started popping up, along with people downloading games from IRC servers. I guess thats why all you get is # these days. Why make a great game that was fully developed if you aren't going to make money off of it.

One could easily argue that downloading music isn't illegal because its an intangible form of art. So, I guess you can say that isn't stealing. But downloading software is illegal for sure. There are many cheap alternatives to some of the most expensive software on the market, so don't complain about Adobe, Microsoft, Autodesk, and many many others. You don't need their products, so don't steal it. Maybe the price will drop one day.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hardee

FYI I have a great job. But I refuse to pay with my hard earned money for crap! People like you make me laugh because you think the industry is suffering. Thats BS.

The funny thing is the same industry that is against piracy is making the products to pirate i.e blank cds/dvds, cd/dvd burners. Take Sony for instance, they are making money on both ends. They make money on those that buy dvd burners and media and buy selling movies/music on cds/dvds. And who do you think makes a huge profit for companies that sell cd/dvd media and burners? Thats right, people that pirate!

If piracy is such a huge problem, why not ban cd/dvd media and burners? Only allow businesses to use cd/dvd burners for business purposes? And have ISP's completely stop torrent traffic and get rid of newsgroups.

I don't care if people think i'm an a-hole for downloading games, movies and music. I don't lose sleep over it.

BTW I pre-ordered Spore. That's right, I BOUGHT it and its not even out yet. I paid $90 for the galatic edition. That game is amazing and well worth my hard earned money. Does buying it justify for all the games I download and didn't buy? Nope. And I don't care. I buy games that are worth it.

When games are a dying industry are you prepared to take responsibility for your retarded attitude? How would you know the industry isn't suffering? Because you read it on Youtube? I don't believe you have a "great job" - people with jobs would have higher self-esteem. You feel good about robbing other companies of money, that's a sign of a mentally challenged idiot.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Hardee]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by alundaio

Don't get me started on renting games. Blockbuster charges what....6 dollars for 24 hours? That's not a viable option for anyone of a rational mind.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
reply to post by alundaio

Don't get me started on renting games. Blockbuster charges what....6 dollars for 24 hours? That's not a viable option for anyone of a rational mind.

Don't rent them, then?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I download all my games first and then if it's worth my coin, I'll pay without question. 99% of games you can't play online anyway without a unique key so if it's a good game you'll want to buy a copy just for that.

If game developers just put out quality stuff, they'd have no problems.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join