It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would the effects of a second Sun be on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If Jupiter, which is made of the same stuff as our Sun, ignited and became a second Sun, what would be the effect on planet Earth?

I ask this because some people believe it is happening due to the Sun's current unusual excess of plasma send outs and will climax at the Sun's next sun cycle, which, dun de dun dun... dun, happens in 2012.

[edit on 19-8-2008 by Mikeraphone]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
my guess is that if jupiter had the mass to become a star and did, it would pull us out of our orbit. even if it was a slight pull it would effectively kill us off as a planet. I remember when the comet hit jupiter in like 94, ppl said it would turn into a 2nd sun. I think the mass needed for it to really happen is just to great

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
oh and if not, we could film some great Tattoine shots for a Star Wars movie out in the Gobi!

but yeah that would be a bad thing, not good at all

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Yup. Jupiter is nowhere near massive enough for fusion to start. If it were big enough it would already done so, and we would be part of a binary system, and if my uncle was a woman he would be my aunt.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Totalstranger

Yup. Jupiter is nowhere near massive enough for fusion to start. If it were big enough it would already done so, and we would be part of a binary system, and if my uncle was a woman he would be my aunt.

It is not massive enough for fusion to start on it's own correct? But what if it was sparked by our very own sun? I remember hearing about it and just wanted to know if it was possible and what the effects would be.

Our Sun, at it's last cycle in 2001, was supposed to "calm down" again as it does every 11 years only to increase activity at the next 11 years, but it hasnt, and the activity has increased, spitting out more plasma. It has also begun to pulse. This has increased the amount of Aero borealis seen on the planets (all planets) and apparently even caused Jupiter to ignite in some areas.

Im not saying it will happen or whatever, it's just what I heard, and just wanted to know the exact effects on Earth, ie, could we survive it? I guess the answer is no.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I read some old conspiracy called the Lucifer project. It had to do with igniting Jupiter or Saturn with a payload of plutonium 223 that's used to power the Galileo and Cassini space craft. Something in regards of Men trying to play God in our cosmic backyard. Theories were such as it melting the ice on some of their moons, and extra source of solar energy etc.

I would think if such an event were to happen that a lot of radiation would come our way and bombard us. Disrupt orbital pattern within our solar system and kinda rock the rotational boat.

Maybe it would puff up into a brown dwarf I dunno.

The theory went to say that if they plunged the spacecraft into the planet that eventual the pressure would collapse the plutonium until it exploded and caused a chain reaction with the helium and hydrogen atmosphere.

I think it's bogus lol but it would be sweet thing to see go down before you were killed from radiation poisoning.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeraphone

No, it would have to be much, much more massive to maintain a fusion reaction.

Implying that a nuclear (fission) bomb detonating inside Saturn could create the conditions for a nuclear fusion chain reaction (like the proton-proton chain) is, again, in the realms of science fiction. Even the larger gas giant Jupiter is far too puny to sustain fusion.

www.universetoday.com...
Not exactly what you're asking but the same basic idea.

[edit on 20-8-2008 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
yeah yeah. the Lucifer project lol. thats some Jack parsons s@#t right there. and if the sun could in any way effect jupiter like that, it'd effect us too. and it would kill us all. maybe someday when we have moved on from earth and we no longer need it, we can terrsform/make jupiter become a star so we can live on mars or some of the asteroids like ceres.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikeraphone
If Jupiter, which is made of the same stuff as our Sun, ignited and became a second Sun, what would be the effect on planet Earth?

I ask this because some people believe it is happening due to the Sun's current unusual excess of plasma send outs and will climax at the Sun's next sun cycle, which, dun de dun dun... dun, happens in 2012.

What if the earth became a second sun? I guess we all know what would happen then or do we?

Peace

By the way cool name...crafty.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I am all for two suns.
why not.. keeps things interesting.
p
lucifer project wont work they say. Its impossible they say. Maybe, but it is not STOPpING them from trying it.

most of u will die from the radiation coz u are not prepared. but my mustang is equipped with anti-radiation coating.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

Originally posted by Mikeraphone

What if the earth became a second sun? I guess we all know what would happen then or do we?

Peace

By the way cool name...crafty.

One hell of a sun burn

And thanks.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
A lot of people seem to believe Jupiter is a floating Hindenberg, waiting for a match. A good way to think of it is this: Think of the comparitive size of Jupiter and the Earth, and their comparitive locations.
Earth has been hit by some pretty massive strikes. Easily much more powerful than any nuke we can create right now.
Jupiter is MUCH more massive and has a MUCH stronger gravity field, It's also pretty tiny in comparision to the sun.
Over the last, say, thousand years, how many impacts do you think Jupiter has taken? I'm willing to put money on Jupiter having more moons at one point than it does now. There probably more Asteroid in the belt, that were just close enough to Jupiter to get sucked in.
Chances are, it'll keep attraacting all kinds of debris for another several millenia, but it'll still be to small to light up.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikeraphone

hi there. in response to your questions and a comment or two about the lucifer project.. some say it is bunk that it is intended to crash cassini into saturn in an attempt to ignite a second sun in our system.. the idea that they might try this is not as far fetched as it may first sound..

in 2003 this experiment was first carried out on jupiter..

PRESS RELEASE
Date Released: Thursday, September 18, 2003
Source: British National Space Centre

Space Probe due to crash into Jupiter

One of the most remarkable chapters in the history of planetary exploration will come to end on Sunday 21 September, when NASA's Galileo spacecraft plunges into the dense atmosphere of Jupiter.

link to source.

now from what i know to date is that if saturn were to be ignited a huge cloud of liquid hydrogen oe whatever gas surrounds the star/planet , i just can't rember which gas they said would be cast out into the solar system and from what i know they believe the only safe place would be underground away from our burning athmosphere.. they say it would burn for up to 4 weeks..

as to whether they could pull it off after they crashed gallileo into jupiter a huge dark spot appeared like in the film 2001 and last i heard about it the dark spot was almost as large as the red spot which circles jupiter.. i wont post links but there is a lot of information obtainable with a simple search on g****e or which ever engine you prefer..

peace

daz__

[edit on 20-8-2008 by daz__]

top topics

join