It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school district OKs pistols for staff

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
What do you suggest, letting teachers teach from within cages?

Try thinking a bit deeper. I'm sure there are several creative ways to prevent a student from simply taking a gun from a teacher.

Did you ever think that perhaps the gun could be kept in a combination safe and each room has its own combination which only the teacher knows (and would get fired for revealing)? No, you didn't.

Please do think a bit more before you go casting aside an entire idea. Do note that for A LONG TIME it's been the norm for people to defend themselves. The rise of State Protect From Everything Which May Harm You Possibly is a fairly recent invention.

If you don't want to get talked to 'like this' on the internet please raise the quality of your post.

Thank you

[edit on 16-8-2008 by LoveKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoveKnowledge

Awesome! Wonder if I could get that in pink.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
EVERYONE was armed in America at one time...it was called the wild west.

But you know what, people we're much more polite and problems we're solved quite quickly and with minimal burden on the court system.

Sure the problems was solved, but there was no justice, only darwins "survival of the fittest".

If you want a society filled with barbarians, thats what you would go for, yes.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Did you ever think that perhaps the gun could be kept in a combination safe and each room has its own combination which only the teacher knows (and would get fired for revealing)? No, you didn't.

Yes I did, but i dismissed the idea as moronic since a kid with a knife would get the combination from a teacher in 10 seconds.

Dont you see that every "solution" to the problem you have are only ways to create more violence and more problems?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Odd, areas with the least amount of gun CONTROL laws also tend to be the safest. Kind of refutes your little theory there doesnt it?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scorched Earth

Odd, areas with the least amount of gun CONTROL laws also tend to be the safest. Kind of refutes your little theory there doesnt it?

No it doesnt, since I wouldnt dream of looking at only one variable and trying to draw a conclusion from it. That would make me look like a complete fool.

You should realize that countries (and states) and their crime rates depends on a lot more than gun control laws I hope?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Yes I did, but i dismissed the idea as moronic since a kid with a knife would get the combination from a teacher in 10 seconds.

Dont you see that every "solution" to the problem you have are only ways to create more violence and more problems?

I like your story. A kid brings a knife to a school to hold a teacher hostage (whom has access to a gun). And on top of that the teacher across the hall has a gun. Perhaps there is a panic button, did you think of that? No, of course not. You're merely here to spout nonsense. Perhaps next you'll tell me the kid will use his knife to cut the wire to the panic button. I wait with baited breath.

How about this story, a kid brings a gun to the school and no one else has a weapon because no one else is allowed to have one. Wait, except the incompetent cops 1/2 across campus who aren't quiet sure what to do (VTech shooting) and aren't even aware there is a situation until the first round leaves the chamber and enters warm flesh.

How do you like that story?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Your contention: More guns in the hands of the people= Barbarians

Reality= You are plain wrong.

You already made yourself look like a fool, why stop now?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I like your story. A kid brings a knife to a school to hold a teacher hostage (whom has access to a gun). And on top of that the teacher across the hall has a gun.

How about this story, a kid brings a gun to the school and no one else has a weapon because no one else is allowed to have one. Wait, except the incompetent cops 1/2 across campus who aren't quiet sure what to do (VTech shooting) and aren't even aware there is a situation until the first round leaves the chamber and enters warm flesh.

How do you like that story?

The gun was in a locker, not on the teacher. The other teacher will not know anything is happening in the class room because obviously the kid is not going to be a complete moron and attach the teacher unless he is alone.

We could sit here and make up scenarios all day long to eachother and I doubt it would change the other persons view about this issue.

I dont see why you dont realize that on a fundamental level, a human being will use whatever tool he has available to win a battle. If he has a gun, he will use it. Therefore, giving everyone guns leads to more guns being used. I think its a pretty sane logic.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Your contention: More guns in the hands of the people= Barbarians

Reality= You are plain wrong.

You already made yourself look like a fool, why stop now?

Yes, more people with guns = more guns being used.

Reality = you are plain wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Sane logic on what planet?

Facts dont back up your assertion.

In fact, more guns=less crime.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   

In fact, more guns=less crime.

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

So I guess you should have no problems with crime then?

USA's prison population a record

1 in 142 US residents now in prison

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   

So I guess you should have no problems with crime then?

Considering less than 1% of all guns are used in crimes, I'd say no.

More violent crimes are committed without guns than are committed with.

Compare that to over 1 million + defensive uses of guns every year, and its obvious guns play a more important role in DETERRING criminal actions than any other "crime fighting tool".

Yet again, more guns=less crime.

Hell, when felons admit they fear armed citizens more than police, what do you think that means?

As for your little "More Americans in Prison" theory, did you even bother to spend 5 seconds researching that?

Obviously you didnt. If you did, you would know the vast majority of people in prison are there for DRUG VIOLATIONS.

I thought you didnt want to look like a fool, what happened?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Scorched Earth]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CopernicusWe could sit here and make up scenarios all day long to eachother and I doubt it would change the other persons view about this issue.

Therefore, giving everyone guns leads to more guns being used. I think its a pretty sane logic.

Oh please.. allow me just one more scenario for *snips and grins* purposes.

You are walking along minding your business and someone that is right in front of you pulls out their gun and commences to shoot at the ppl around him.

A) You have a gun on your person, pull it out, thus saving other ppl and most likely yourself from falling victim to his madness.

B) You have no gun and the man turns to face you (since he was right in front of you), points the gun, pulls the trigger, and your brains end up all over the sidewalk upon which he continues in shooting and killing other ppl.

Seriously, you see option B as being the ideal?

[edit on 16-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Human nature has and always will dictate that there will be those members in the population who will go nuts and do crazy things. Nothing will change this until human nature itself changes.

So the question is this..... When the time comes when are we realy safer ?

When only a few people have the means to defend themselves or when everyone hase the means to defend themselves from those members of society who will continue to prey on the weak.

really...... What is better? Being able to defend yourself or being a easy target?

And you know damn well that the Police will not be able to get to you before the nuts and criminals kill you. 99% of the time police show up after the murder/crime.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Well i dont agree,but thats just a culture thing,guns really dont appeal to me....nor make me safer...soo

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Good idea. Too bad that this will last just as long as one careless teacher makes a mistake and leaves the gun accessible or something. Then the blame will be shifted back to the guns and they will be banned again.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil
Well i dont agree,but thats just a culture thing,guns really dont appeal to me....nor make me safer...soo

Don't make you safer eh ? ... When the time comes when some nut is running around killing people and your quivering in fear and can't do a damn thing because you don't have anything to defend yourself with.. I think you will at that time think quite different.

There are 3 types of people in this world in general. Those who take what others have.. Those who defend themselves from those who take.. And those sheep who go about there lives ignorant about reality thinking others will defend them when the time comes.

In the end you need to be responsible for your own defence and actions.. Not doing so is ignorant, iresponsiable and just plain stupid.

That mentality is what gets more people killed in the long run then it saves. Ie expecting others to defend you from those who will steal, kill, etc.. Just plane stupid and ignorant.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Teachers are there to teach kids not pack dangerous weapons in a classroom enviornment..If they really think something likes this is a good idea they should hire private security guards...Sorry,but a teacher who is supposed to be educating kids should not have a gun....And about the safety thing,ifs and buts...i have never seen or held a gun in my life (apart from tv) and i dont want to and never will...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil
Teachers are there to teach kids not pack dangerous weapons in a classroom enviornment..If they really think something likes this is a good idea they should hire private security guards...Sorry,but a teacher who is supposed to be educating kids should not have a gun....And about the safety thing,ifs and buts...i have never seen or held a gun in my life (apart from tv) and i dont want to and never will...

And when the time comes to defend yourself or your family you will not be able to .. Your decision .. Your ignorance.. Your failed trust in a system that will not be there to help.

Your ignorance of reality would be shocking but it is endemic in our society nowadays.

I mean no offence at all .. Truly i do not. But if you want to go through life with your eyes closed you sir are dangerously ignorant. I hope you your family never have to pay the price of your ignorance.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join