It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school district OKs pistols for staff

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm a responsible gun owner, a democrat, and a parent. There's NO way in hell I'd leave my child in the hands of a gun toting teacher. I've seen my fair share of people who are trained and still cannot handle their weapon. There are way too many scenarios that could play out that makes me absolutely certain that this is a bad idea. And yes, a teen could very well over power the teacher and grab the weapon. What are these people thinking?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Odd, areas with the least amount of gun CONTROL laws also tend to be the safest. Kind of refutes your little theory there doesnt it?

I agree based on one particular city, San Francisco who voted for a hand gun ban years ago and it passed. After this, the violence increased beyond what it was before the measure passed.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

Do you not know your kids teachers well enough to know that they are responsible?

What I find ironic is that, as you just insinuated, you do not believe that teacher can be responsible with a gun yet you drop your kids off into their hands 5 days a week for approximately 7 hours a day giving them the responsibility of taking care of your children.. If you can't trust them to be responsible in all aspects, then you shouldn't be dropping your babies off with them in the first place.

I pay an "out of district" fee for my boys to attend a school approximately 30 minutes away (that's a two hour drive every day) so that I can be assured that they are not only being taught to think for themselves, but so that I can also rest easy knowing they are in the hands of teachers I am familiar with on personal level and trust completely.

It would be much easier and cheaper to stick 'em on a bus to go to the school here in town, but I don't know the teachers personally and therefore don't trust my kids in their hands.

I guess that is where the difference comes into play for some of us who are in favor of it and those who are opposed. If I can't trust my childrens' teacher to be as responsible with my children as I am, then I wouldn't be leaving them there in the first place.

Y'all act as if your kids' teachers are so incompetent and stupid that they are sure to screw up with having a gun at school for protection yet you are handing your children to them for the better part of their innocent years........ just doesn't make sense to me.

I would completely trust the teachers at the school my sons' attend to be responsible and smart with the guns and actually would feel confident knowing that the teacher was equipped to protect my children should a loon walk in armed and ready to shoot kids as though they were targets for practice. But then again, I am in texas and the majority of the teachers at that school own guns and understand the importance of teaching kids about the dangers AS WELL AS the benefits of guns.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Being a Texan is like being a Marine, they learn to shoot first
then go on to become something else...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Lol the thing is in 99% of schools weapons just are not a issue (Im not taking the side of the anti gun nuts here)

In the Vast majority of schools guns and violence just isn't a problem. The problem is how americans over react to isolated cases. People really do over react to things they act first then think later.

It should be Think first and then act..

A good instance of over reacting is how a 8 year old is EXPELLED for having tylanol......... Because of FEAR about drugs.. What a crock. People are so afraid that children might be hurt they smother their kids etc.. In the long run this has a detrimental effect on a kid .. Not a positive one.

BTW.. You could fix 99% of these problems if Parents were held responsiable for the upbringing of the pups the pump out. As it is a parent has no real ability to punish a child anymore.. In many states if you spank your kid your the one going to jail..

A kid doesn't learn anything but contempt for authority if all he has to look forward to is a time out or harsh words. Do the World and yourself a favour .. Spank the little buggers if they deserve it.

I can garentee you its better to spank your kid (Correctily. Not beat the living daylights out of them) Then it is not to spank your kids.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by wolfmanjack]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Do you not know your kids teachers well enough to know that they are responsible?

When my children were in public school, yes, I knew their teachers as good as a mother can know them from volunteering within the class room, field trips, parent teacher conferences, and other activities. However, that still doesn't mean I would personally have faith in their use of a loaded weapon. Their judgment, or reaction to a violent situation. My trust in their ability to teach my children's school curriculum, has nothing to do with being able to operate a gun, and personally I don't feel teachers should be acting as police. School is an institution for learning, and once the metal detectors started getting installed, is when I pulled my children out of the system. I didn't grow up with that, and I won't allow them to either. My child got tired of going in each morning, being pat down like a criminal, having his book bag scanned....having to wear an ID badge. oh forget that! Sorry, that's not what school should be like for any kid.

What I find ironic is that, as you just insinuated, you do not believe that teacher can be responsible with a gun yet you drop your kids off into their hands 5 days a week for approximately 7 hours a day giving them the responsibility of taking care of your children.. If you can't trust them to be responsible in all aspects, then you shouldn't be dropping your babies off with them in the first place.

As mentioned above, they don't get dropped off. And I don't trust teachers to be trained well enough to react to all situations that are violent. I grew up with guns around me, was taught to hunt, learned how to use a rifle, and ....I myself cannot determine exactly how *I* would react in a situation I've never been met with. I've never had some nut try to gun me down. I would sure hope I keep a clear head and make a straight shot. But to entrust a teacher to be those things for my child? Well, no.

I pay an "out of district" fee for my boys to attend a school approximately 30 minutes away (that's a two hour drive every day) so that I can be assured that they are not only being taught to think for themselves, but so that I can also rest easy knowing they are in the hands of teachers I am familiar with on personal level and trust completely.

I'm glad you have teachers you would entrust your children to completely. That is sometimes a very difficult thing to find. Those who can 100% trust their child's teacher is lucky to have that.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Asherah

I agree with Ashera. I believe people should be allowed to own guns for self defense and hunting, but I have problems with teachers carrying pistols while they are teaching. If schools have really become so dangerous then the police belong on school campuses. They are trained to know when to use guns, and more importantly they are trained to know when not to use them. People in this country should do some soul searching about why this country has deteriorated to this point.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well i could understand a taser but a gun is rediculous. Texas should definately rethink the gun idea. If there scared of violence from students just put up metal detectors when they walk in and a bag check/xray (or something).

Its really simple and guns are not needed. For the love of humanity use tasers if you have to.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Quickfix]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Texas is beginning to scare me. First there was the story of the kid not allowed into school because of his long hair (Native American Heritage). Then there was the story of the prison jumpsuits for dress code violators. And now we have teachers packing heat. I think the real issue of this thread is how far is these kinds of "educational" changes are going to spread.

As for teachers packing, I am in public school now and do NOT want to see teachers with guns here. I'm more scared of one of the teachers snapping than the kids.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradownI agree with Ashera. I believe people should be allowed to own guns for self defense and hunting, but I have problems with teachers carrying pistols while they are teaching. If schools have really become so dangerous then the police belong on school campuses. They are trained to know when to use guns, and more importantly they are trained to know when not to use them. People in this country should do some soul searching about why this country has deteriorated to this point.

I can't say that I disagree with all of this. From this perspective I would have to agree that, at least in the case of my childrens' school it isn't necessary. There are problem kids, but the school is staffed with great teachers, counsellors, office staff, etc (yes, I know a good majority of them... I made their business my business hehe even took my oldest sons' teacher out to lunch before the school year started) so if they were to allow this I would question why they felt the need.

I also think about this from the teachers' perspective too though. The school district that we are living in (even though it is white suburbia and considered btw middle to upper middle class) is full of punks who feel entitled to blow off their teachers, bad mouth them, do what they want when they want, form clicks to the point of terrorizing other students AND teachers, drugs, blah blah. The teachers in this district are stretched thin, worn out, and getting sick of it to the point they don't really seem to care.

And why should they? The parents aren't doing their job at home and enforcing rules, spoiling their kids, allowing them to "express" themselves in dangerous ways, etc. This district is one where, if I were a teacher, I would want to have a means of protecting myself because it isn't getting any better. Of course, I'd NEED the protection bc I would be the teacher that would set the punks straight, thus making myself a target

I am just saying, I am starting to see your perspective, but I can see it from the other perspective and ultimately you are placing your children into their hands with little rights to set your kids straight when/if they are being punks. (And don't run away with that saying that I think a gun should set the students straight)..... the gun is for protection when things are escalating.

We tie the teachers' hands behind their backs yet blame them even though they continue to teach the brats. If they can't punish them in an effective way, then they should at least be able to defend themselves when/if an little devil decides that he is so entitled as to play god.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

You should fear for your childs safety because there is so few guns. Makes it a prime target for some nut case to treat it like a shooting gallery. Teacher need to meet requirements to carry, just like everyone else. I dont understand why people think the moment somebody gets their gun license they suddenly turn into crazed killers. I have my gun permit, I haven't shot anyone, nor have I ever had the impulse to go out and shoot people.

People who carry know that getting angry isn't worth shooting somebody over. You act like this guy is OK'ed to concealed carry and his first thoughts are "awesome, now I can go shoot up a classroom". Most crimes aren't committed with legal guns to begin with. That means if he wanted to shoot someplace up, he would have done it either way.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingwoody
Texas is beginning to scare me. First there was the story of the kid not allowed into school because of his long hair (Native American Heritage). Then there was the story of the prison jumpsuits for dress code violators. And now we have teachers packing heat. I think the real issue of this thread is how far is these kinds of "educational" changes are going to spread.

As for teachers packing, I am in public school now and do NOT want to see teachers with guns here. I'm more scared of one of the teachers snapping than the kids.

I'm more scared of one of the teachers snapping than the kids.

I could not agree more, i've seen teachers snap not very fun.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

So wait, you aren't ok with the teacher of your child carrying a gun, but you are ok with them spending hours a day telling your child what is fact and what isn't. If the guy isn't fit to carry a gun, hes certainly not fit to be teaching our children.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I star that because it is the first anti guns in school arguement that has any sort of real logic to it. This certainly is a possibility but whats to stop them from taking it from a cop inside the school? No guns on school property, to me, is dangerous. Once you break that outside barrier, its a shooting gallery for a nut case. It is just as dangerous to have guns in school as it is to have no guns in a school.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Oh I just remembered the new smart gun technology. How about guns within school use this new smart gun tech where the owner is the only one who can use it? If a kid takes it from a teacher, he cannot fire it because he does not have the finger prints.

I think that teachers using smart guns is definately the way to go for keeping the school grounds safe.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Good idea. Too bad that this will last just as long as one careless teacher makes a mistake and leaves the gun accessible or something. Then the blame will be shifted back to the guns and they will be banned again.

Propagandists would have a field day if such an horrible"accident"were to occurr. This is something that those in favor of allowing citizens the right to bear arms should really consider. The NEA is also a big proponent of gun control.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
This will lead to much, much more murders. Any conflict between people that escalates will lead to a gun battle.

You mean many more successful murders. Somebody who attempts to murder is going to attempt to murder whether he can get his hands on a gun lawfully or not.

If you take a look at other countries who have managed to handle crime successfully (US has failed completely), you will notice how this was done without more weapons. It was done by creating less criminals by having a more humane society for everybody.

Like Great Britian?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

That simply is not true. More guns does not =more guns being used. It simply means more people with LEGAL fire arms. Like I said, a real criminal can get a gun, they dont need a permit. Somebody looking to kill will find guns, easy as day.

Concealed carry is overwhelmingly shown to not increase the amount of murders. That is a statistical fact. You do realize how stupid it would be to use a gun legally registered to you in a crime? You are almost certain to get caught. If you are aware you will be caught, you must have some sort of death wish, in which case, you were bound to get some sort of a weapon and kill people anyway.

Concealed carry is not the enemy. Illegal gun running is. Society promoting gang violence as cool is. A president who acts like clint eastwood in unforgiven is. There are pleanty of real big problems causing people to think criminal activities or killing is cool, none of which have to do with concealed carry.

People dont seek out guns and become killers, people become killers then seek out a gun. At that point, do you really think a law is going to stop them from getting what they want?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Scorched Earth

That post is completely correct. More than half of inmate in america's state prisons are drug related, and over 1/3 of federal prisons are drug related.

He is also correct when he states most violent crime involves no gun.

Great post, which I starred.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join