It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does time seem to be going quicker to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Does time seem to be going quicker or is it just me because whenever im doing something like listening to music or something like that the song seems to be over quicker than usual alot quicker

and when im out walking thee dog it seems like i was gone 20 mins but in fact i was gone an hour or so.

is it just me or does time seem to be speeding up for everyone or is it just to who notices it.

thank you

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by billyjoinedat2k8
Does time seem to be going quicker or is it just me because whenever im doing something like listening to music or something like that the song seems to be over quicker than usual alot quicker

and when im out walking thee dog it seems like i was gone 20 mins but in fact i was gone an hour or so.

is it just me or does time seem to be speeding up for everyone or is it just to who notices it.

thank you

I have experienced what you are explaining in a BIG way(six years ago).In fact it was Music that made it obvious to me. I am a musician and the tempo of all the music I would listen to seemed to increase dramatically. I remember checking songs with a metronome, everything was the same although the clicks even sounded fast....

I thought maybe I was slowing down??? I'm fine now lasted a couple months for me
on and off.

Anyhow I'm a believer 110% that there is something organic behind this-???

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
I have experienced what you are explaining in a BIG way(six years ago).In fact it was Music that made it obvious to me. I am a musician and the tempo of all the music I would listen to seemed to increase dramatically. I remember checking songs with a metronome, everything was the same although the clicks even sounded fast....

I thought maybe I was slowing down??? I'm fine now lasted a couple months for me
on and off.

Anyhow I'm a believer 110% that there is something organic behind this-???

I onder what it could be to cause time to slow down for some people when it happened to you did you do any sort of meditating because i tried some meditating and its happening to me now.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I believe time has been pasing much quicker over the past couple of months. I have asked other people whether they have noticed this, they dont take me seriously obviously. I have come up with a slightly wacky idea that it is something to do with the Swiss scientists working on the big bang thing at the moment. That they have found a way of sucking time up for their experiment. I am sure Stephen Hawking would really laugh at this. But am I right?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
You may find this a joke, but...over the last couple of years despite being young I've come to believe it. I believe that time honestly begins to go faster as you age, simply because you're spending more time thinking, or doing something, in that your brain is constantly working on something, or thinking of something the older you get.

Might just be me who thinks that, but...well...I do, makes a theory at least.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
It could be related to the Schuman resonance which is supposed to be a natural frequency for the earth and has been apparently rising fairly consistantly, i dont know to much about it but im sure others would and can elaborate.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This is something wrote answering a similar question on another forum:

Time is in the eye of the beholder. In that Time was invented by humans as a means to break down the day/night period into quantifiable sections so as to be able to effectively place some sort of control on their day to day lives and to act as a base for being able to accurately determine things like farming seasons, whether to invade the next country for whatever pitiful reason without freezing themselves solid by accidentally invading during the worst winter in history, you know...that kinda thing....

So. Humans have become almost instinctively aware of Time in the eons of evolution of the human species since the advent of the idea of Time. It has evolved and even branched out into different interpretations of it (EG the Mayan calender). It has been ingrained into our deepest subconscious somewhere in-between the instinct reflex that causes us to breathe and the instinct to want to bash slow walking people in the back of the head. We have an acute sense with us at all times of when to roughly expect the next section of Time to kick over, how long it has been since the last section of Time, and the amount of Time left until the next section of Time. Thus we are able to, for instance, know with almost boring accuracy, how long it will be until you get to leave work.

Throw emotion into the mix. If an individual does not wish to go to work because his job sux, the boss is an a*hole and the secretary is screwing a goat, he will be aware of the time remaining till he can get the hell out of there and will be annoyed and/or sad at the fact that it FEELS like Time is going slower than it SHOULD be and will not speed up for him. If this same individual were to be, say, fishing - an activity he enjoys very much - he will be aware of how much Time he has remaining until he has to go home and be annoyed and/or sad at the fact that it FEELS like Time is going faster than it SHOULD be and will not slow down for him.

But what happens if you were to take Time out of the equation?

Have you ever been so deep in thought that 2 hours go by and you suddenly 'come to' to find you have been staring at the same spot on the wall that looks like a nipple poking out but is actually just a painted over nail?
Chances are that you were accessing some part of another unconscious or deep-seated thought that was over-riding and suppressing your awareness of Time. You became so entrenched with a singular thought process that you could unconsciously manipulate your awareness of Time inside the thought, even totally forget about it. Without your awareness of Time how are you to know how long it is until the next section of Time, whether that be a second, a minute or an hour? Without your perception of Time your memory of how long a 'section' of say 30 seconds takes to tick over could become 35 seconds in actuality, then 40 seconds, then 45 seconds. Time, in your mind, is going faster, not at the rate you would expect it to be, but your mind isn't taking into account the fact that it is incorrectly guessing the space of Time between sections.

Coma patients don't know how long they have been unconscious for because their ability to perceive Time isn't able to be processed by an actively conscious mind.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well, I was taught in my psychology classes that it was a mental thing. When you enjoy doing something, your dopamine drip is opened up a tiny bit. This helps create the feeling for "enoyment" kind of emotions. One effect of dopamine is everything being "sped up" hence the saying "Time flys when you are having fun"

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
You may find this a joke, but...over the last couple of years despite being young I've come to believe it. I believe that time honestly begins to go faster as you age, simply because you're spending more time thinking, or doing something, in that your brain is constantly working on something, or thinking of something the older you get.

Might just be me who thinks that, but...well...I do, makes a theory at least.

I don't find your statement to be a joke, Shugo. I have thought the same thing. I think that hitting targeted milestones increases your perception of "time". I remember when I was very young, it seemed forever before I could get my driver's liscense, forever until I was 21 and could legally drink, forever until I graduated from college and could go my own way. Everything seemed to be somewhere in the future. Now that I'm an adult, those milestones don't seem to be as momentous and occur more frequently; pay raises, promotions, vacations, kids growing up (this flies by in the blink of an eye), etc... There is so much to think about and so many "occasions" that time does seem to go more quickly.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think it's definitely an age thing. Remember back when you were a kid...something as short as 10 minutes of waiting was a LIFETIME! Now as teens and adults, we have so much to do and so much on our minds that 10 minutes was a drop in the bucket. I'm sure most of us can recall our own parents complaining of this phenomenon.

I think this generation might even have it a bit worse. Some people working more than one job...or longer hours. In a lot of households both parents working out of the home. Our kids more involved in outside activities etc. With everything we've burdened ourselves down with, no wonder there's not enough hours in the day! I'm lucky that while my husband works outside the home, I work at home. But even though I have time to throw in a load of laundry, vacuum and do up the dishes...it still seems there's not enough time to ever just sit and relax for more than a few minutes here and there.

Thinking about this has also brought up another thought that might be a contributing factor to this generation having less time on their hands (hopefully this is not pulling the thread off topic). I myself am guilty of perhaps doing too much for my kids. In thinking back, when I wanted to go to a friend's house, I got on my bike or walked there. If I wanted to go to the mall, I hopped on the bus and went. I walked to school or took a bus on bad weather days every single day. If I joined a sports team, it was my responsibility to get myself to practice...etc etc..I could go on. Nowadays kids are getting driven to school, practice, lessons, friends...everywhere. We've taken on the responsibilities that used to be the kids' own...leaving even less time in the day. Also things such as chores. When I was younger probably 90% of my friends had chores to do around the house to ease our parents burden, help out within the family, and to possibly earn some spending allowance. I can ask the 150 parents at my kids' school right now how many of them have chores and I almost guarantee it'll be MUCH lower than 90% considering I see most of the neighbourhood kids out playing right after school until dark. That means the adults are doing if not everything, most housework/chores around the house.

Hmmm...great now you've got me thinking!! My poor kids are going to come home to a broom and dustpan today!

Michelle

top topics

join