It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: Georgia conflict is the 'first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

You just admitted it was Afganistan and I should get a brain? You just confirmed what I said.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben420
Believe it or not, I think Bush is actually more intelligent than McCain.

At least Bush had some understanding of the rest of the world, Bush didn`t flip flop on every issue, and even Bush didn`t screw up his speeches as much as McCain in his campaign.

Not to say Obama is any better though...

No, but I do believe that Obama is mentally sharper than McCain.

Honestly, I don't think Bush is more "intelligent" than McCain though, or I should say I have no idea if he is or is not. I do believe that Bush is sharper than McCain in that although he flubs words and phrases he doesn't have the same general confusion that I see creep over McCain on a regular basis. By sharper of course I mean mentally aware.

There are times were he literally seems lost, forgetful and confused. Although I have noticed this, I do think he is an intelligent man. I just happen to think that his age is catching up to him.

Oh and his statement the OP posted is just all wrong. I think his handlers wanted him to seize the moment and get some air-time to present himself as having a tough stance on foreign politics.

McCain is foggy, but he is no dummy.

- Lee

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Directly going up against Iraq... Directly going up against Russia... Vastly different.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
It's symptomatic of someone who is drifting into senility. Lazy thinking and temporarily forgetting things. I'm sure he didn't really forget all those oher crises, but he opened his mouth before he thought of them. Not a good quality in a President.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
"First serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War"?????

Did he forget Yugoslavia, Gulf War, 9/11, Iraq ???? omg .... there were more then 1Million people killed in those 4 events .... but ok, Russia-Georgia is the first and biggest one ....
... i think if i went to the mental institution i wouldn't find anyone with this believe ... And this is the one of two main candidates for the president of the US? ... omg .... no offence ..... but i actually feel sorry for you guys .... I hope Obama can do better then McCain, cause if he don't the whole world is srewed ...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
So Iraq isn't a war... ok... how about telling that to the families of roughly 4000 soldiers who have died in the 'simple one-sided invasion'. How did Iraqi fighters kill these 4000 US troops if they didn't manage to get close to them?

erm.. i didn't say anything about the troops. I said that Iraq never got close to the US.

As in the United States.

As in the United States of America.

As in the North American country.

Well did they?

It's like me going and finding some little kid and beating him up. I wouldn't call that a fight, i'd call that just simply beating him up. Just as I wouldn't call Iraq a war, i'd call it an invasion. Not exactly a crisis.

Think about it in context as well. When McCain talks of serious international crisis he means real crisis, like Russia and the USA at each others throats. The Iraq war is nothing compared to that.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by malganis
Just as I wouldn't call Iraq a war, i'd call it an invasion. Not exactly a crisis.

Thanks for that definition.

I can now conveniently ignore everything else that you type, as you really don't know what a war is and isn't.

So when 4000 troops die, it's not a crisis - ok. You go on believing that.

The Iraq war is nothing compared to that.

Wait a second, you just tried to convince me that Iraq isn't a war. Why do you then proceed to call it a war after trying to define it as an invasion? You've got a lot of thinking to do, so you don't twist yourself up in your own logical flaws.

[edit on 16-8-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Lemme just start by saying, I don't like either candidate, the more they continue to develop a campaign trail, do speeches, receive funding to further they're votes... the more I tend to think they're weak candidates to run the united states...

They're both horrible at doing speeches, especially obama, always studdering on his thoughts and pondering... and really they do flipflop wayyy too much on their decision, they haven't even got into power yet and their campaign agendas are jumbled up.

I work for the conservative party of canada, and to watch the political scene in america is just mind blowing, how much these candidates can swindle votes, with speeches that are utter garbage and their platform isn't even promising at all if they can't stick to what they're all about...

Hurtin...

And yes, mccain likes to think this crisis is a serious one, maybe he should start bringing up debates like this after his country gets involved with bombing runs not before, hes just turning up the heat himself, pushing the government and whatever political scene he can into moving forward with attacks on their current military targets and motives...

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
well .... i guess that McCain is the "oldschool" type of guy ... and don't believe that cold war is over. He's still trying to make people think that Russia has the plan to control or destroy the world
If defending your own people is considered as terrorism and trying to control the world than the whole world is srewed up.
And for some that don't know, people living in South Ossetia are 90% russians and Georgian troops were attacking them about 16-20 hours before russian troops got there .... If Russia started the attack than most people in SO wouldn't run in Russia .... People don't run in the country that is trying to kill them

Less than one day before attack Georgian president "declared" peace from his side.... than at night he sent his army to atack them ....
I don't understand how could people think about russians as a "badguy" in this fight. Or maybe i missed some facts?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Just as I wouldn't call Iraq a war, i'd call it an invasion. Not exactly a crisis.

So when 4000 troops die, it's not a crisis - ok. You go on believing that.

Not really. To be honest 4000 troops lost in 5+ years isn't much at all. When you're losing thousands of people a day and your cities are under threat, then maybe you could call it a crisis.

God if you think 4000 troops in over 5 years is a lot then maybe you should look at some real wars like WW2, you might get a bit of a shock.

The Iraq war is nothing compared to that.

Wait a second, you just tried to convince me that Iraq isn't a war. Why do you then proceed to call it a war after trying to define it as an invasion?

I'll refer to it as the 'Iraq War' so that you know what i'm referring to, because that's what it was named. Doesn't mean i'm calling it a war, that's just what the name of it is. Just like i'd refer to the 'War on Drugs', it's just a name for it, it doesn't mean I believe it's a war.

Seriously, if you think that losing 4000 troops in Iraq constitutes a serious international crisis then I can't imagine what you'd class a US/Russian war as.

[edit on 16/8/2008 by malganis]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
reply to post by ben420

You just admitted it was Afganistan and I should get a brain? You just confirmed what I said.

Oh my...

You must be kidding...

Please do some research on Al-Qaeda and 9/11. Once you educate yourself, you'll learn that the hijackers on 9/11 were Saudi nationals, not Afghans

You're making yourself look really stupid, I'd do some research before I post anymore if I were you

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
double post sorry please delet mods.
soz
elf

[edit on 16-8-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ben420

Ben did you know as well that some of them who were supposedly Saudi Nationals were found alive afterwards. The BBc interviewed them.

However their passports were found and used as evidence by the authorities as their involvement!

Surely knowing this any claims that the 2higackers" wer from Saudi Iraq or even Timbucktoo have no authority?

You are right, and wrong IMHO.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I did not know that, I was just trying to make a point to that ignorant poster that was rabidly trying to convince me that the nation of Afghanistan attacked America on Sept. 11, which is beyond stupid.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Still Afganistan. if Saudi Arabia attacked us we would have invaded them. But the Taliban, the people who attacked us, were from Afganistan and controlled Afganistan.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Still Afganistan. if Saudi Arabia attacked us we would have invaded them. But the Taliban, the people who attacked us, were from Afganistan and controlled Afganistan.

Your seriusly not this stupid are you ?

Your spouting the official line the government has spit out.

Lmao.. There is more proof that the Saudis are behind 9/11 then there is of any other country being involved.

"All the suspected hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Lebanon or Egypt."

And don't think for a second we would attack Saudi Arabia .. Not a chance in hell the government would allow that. Short of them admitting to their involvement etc it just isn't going to happen.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
HMMM... I was almost certain we had a different part of the forum, a politics & politicians section of ATS, where these types of threads were supposed to be housed, fed, and cared for. You all know the section I'm talking about... it's where the Obama criticism headlines are usually moved to.

But, seeing as how this thread is here, I may as well address it here. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida, Bosnia, Kosovo, the war on drugs, the war against copyright infringement, illegal immigration, etc all have one thing surrounding them which isn't true in this situation... they're all just one small piss ant nation or movement that found themselves on the receiving end of international sanctions followed by action being taken by either the US or UN peacekeeper forces. The war in Georgia was very, very different. We saw an independantly acting former super power make a strong statement indicating that it intends to become a super power again and soon.

Everything that the US military has done up to now has at least been done in a coalition atmosphere with allied nations assisting us openly and it has all followed sanctions which had broken down and been proven worthless. Georgia had no such sanctions nor did Russia even attempt to carry a grievance to the international community to get allies and possible approval for their actions.

We never found ourselves spearheading an international crisis because we were acting internationally, even though some members of the international community may have been against our actions it can't ever be said that we were acting unilaterally as a rogue force. Something which pretty accurately defines just what Russia did in this situation. Not to mention the fact that Russia has really turned up the rhetoric as it pertains to thinly veiled threats of nuclear action being taken against Poland & the Czechs. We did not make thinly veiled threats against Iraq... we told them "Oust Saddam or else we will remove him from power" and that's exactly what we did... we told the Taliban "Produce bin Laden or we will remove you from power" again, we did what we said we'd do. Even where Iran is concerned, we've made no comments that were not backed and supported by at least a portion of the UN security council.

I believe that McCain may have understated the situation to some degree, as there have clearly been regional crisises with international implications since the end of the Cold War. But the fact remains that we've not seen anything with the global implications and global crisis potential of a Russia that's grabbing land and making nuclear threats to former Soviet countries because of their friendship & cooperation with America.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wolfmanjack

Your seriusly not this stupid are you ?

Your spouting the official line the government has spit out.

Uh, I don't even recall the government claiming the Taliban were behind 9/11, so he isn't even repeating any official line with this one. They were harboring and supporting the key suspect in 9/11 and were defiant when we demanded they turn him over. I do wish this Krieger guy was a little more learned on topics before he made comments on them, though.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Mccain doesn't care about the responcibilities, he just wants to make a check mark on his bucket list. Here's a super sticker Mccain, run along and let your grave stone hit you on the way out.

McCain was mentioned as a possible candidate for the Republican nomination beginning in 1997, but he took few steps to pursue it, instead concentrating on his 1998 senate re-election. McCain later wrote that he had a "vague aspiration" of running for president for a long time.[2] He would also be candid about his motivation: "I didn't decide to run for president to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because it had become my ambition to become president. I was sixty-two years old when I made the decision, and I thought it was my one shot at the prize."

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
HMMM... I was almost certain we had a different part of the forum, a politics & politicians section of ATS, where these types of threads were supposed to be housed, fed, and cared for. You all know the section I'm talking about... it's where the Obama criticism headlines are usually moved to.

But, seeing as how this thread is here, I may as well address it here. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Al Qaida, Bosnia, Kosovo, the war on drugs, the war against copyright infringement, illegal immigration, etc all have one thing surrounding them which isn't true in this situation... they're all just one small piss ant nation or movement that found themselves on the receiving end of international sanctions followed by action being taken by either the US or UN peacekeeper forces. The war in Georgia was very, very different. We saw an independantly acting former super power make a strong statement indicating that it intends to become a super power again and soon.

Everything that the US military has done up to now has at least been done in a coalition atmosphere with allied nations assisting us openly and it has all followed sanctions which had broken down and been proven worthless. Georgia had no such sanctions nor did Russia even attempt to carry a grievance to the international community to get allies and possible approval for their actions.

We never found ourselves spearheading an international crisis because we were acting internationally, even though some members of the international community may have been against our actions it can't ever be said that we were acting unilaterally as a rogue force. Something which pretty accurately defines just what Russia did in this situation. Not to mention the fact that Russia has really turned up the rhetoric as it pertains to thinly veiled threats of nuclear action being taken against Poland & the Czechs. We did not make thinly veiled threats against Iraq... we told them "Oust Saddam or else we will remove him from power" and that's exactly what we did... we told the Taliban "Produce bin Laden or we will remove you from power" again, we did what we said we'd do. Even where Iran is concerned, we've made no comments that were not backed and supported by at least a portion of the UN security council.

I believe that McCain may have understated the situation to some degree, as there have clearly been regional crisises with international implications since the end of the Cold War. But the fact remains that we've not seen anything with the global implications and global crisis potential of a Russia that's grabbing land and making nuclear threats to former Soviet countries because of their friendship & cooperation with America.

America,NATO and Allies cannot back down against Russian aggression.More are becoming aware of Putin and his rise to power.Hes a thug as well as his oligarchy of criminals.The world will turn on the Russians as well as inside Russia.Hes created a youth movement so he has a source of racist footsoldiers.Hes former KGB he knows how to manipulate populations and turn us against one another like he did in Chechnya.The battle of my generation it seems has come and i will not run.Evil must be faced together cross all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.No one will be safe if this man is not confronted and stopped.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join