It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: Georgia conflict is the 'first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

McCain: Georgia conflict is the 'first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.'

thinkprogress.org

Speaking at the Aspen Institute in Colorado yesterday, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) said that recent Russian aggression in Georgia is the “first…serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.” McCain seemingly ignored the Gulf War, 9/11, and the Iraq War, to name a few:

My friends, we have reached a crisis, the first probably serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War. This is an act of aggression.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

This is simply amazing. A few days back I posted the story:

McCain: 'In the 21st century, nations don't invade other nations.'

pointing out how incredibly out of touch McCain is and then he follows up with this! As if the attacks on 911 and the response of the USA was not a ''serious international affair'.

The man is full of hot air and is seriously off kilter. Yes the Georgia-Russia conflict is a VERY serious matter but it is HARDLY the first 'serious crisis' the international community has faced since the end of the cold war.

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the largest deployment of US troops in a war zone, since the end of WWII, in Iraq -- does not qualify as "serious" in McCain's eyes?

The guy is a nut, and I pity those who don't see that.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wow... I didn't think the Republicans could find anyone in the same league of stupid as George, but that shows you what I know.

Go McCain.. Win one for the Gipper!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I sincerely thought we couldn't get any worse than the Bush-Kerry race in 2004.

We are close to hitting rock bottom with McCain-Obama. Two of the most ignorant, out-of-touch candidates every in history.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I sincerely thought we couldn't get any worse than the Bush-Kerry race in 2004.

We are close to hitting rock bottom with McCain-Obama. Two of the most ignorant, out-of-touch candidates every in history.

SO very true. Neither seems capable of an independent thought. It seems an indicator of the kind of personality the political masterminds want to select; someone who can repeat what their told and not question anything approximating the party line - whatever that is?

Sometimes I wish we could have an opportunity to ask unfiltered questions just to see what they, themselves, think (if anything.)

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Perhaps he's referring to the possibility of a major escalation with Russia, which would be far worse than the other missions at hand.

Some don't agree that we should be fighting where we are currently, but I don't think that anyone can argue that those countries have little strength against us. But Russia is a BIG threat and is things go south we are in for the new world war. This is not a major concern with the conflicts we're now engaged in.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently the largest deployment of US troops in a war zone, since the end of WWII, in Iraq -- does not qualify as "serious" in McCain's eyes?

The guy is a nut, and I pity those who don't see that.

Actualy Korea.. Had about 450,000 US troops .. And 1,139,518 million for all Allied combined.

First gulf war allied US combined had 700,000 troops..
540,000 of them US personnel.

Vietnam 500,000+ US Troops At the peek of US deployment.

Current Iraq war at its hight was at 160,000 And current lvl is 140,000 troops.

So your statement is completely incorrect.

Sources.
www.huffingtonpost.com...
Google search on Gulf war, Vietnam, Korean war

All that history lesson above said.. i have to say that McCain is not going to be the person i vote for in the upcoming elections. Frankly i don't want us to still be in Iraq in a 100 years.. And if we don't attack Iran before bush leaves office you know damn well McCain will....... Just no cause to do that .. None at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Mispost - Sorry

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Believe it or not, I think Bush is actually more intelligent than McCain.

At least Bush had some understanding of the rest of the world, Bush didn`t flip flop on every issue, and even Bush didn`t screw up his speeches as much as McCain in his campaign.

Not to say Obama is any better though...

[edit on 15-8-2008 by ben420]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben420
Believe it or not, I think Bush is actually more intelligent than McCain.

I think I am going to throw up...

That is a frightening thought.

On to what McCain said:

SO "Mr. I got the foreign policy chops to be president" does not consider, lets see... the break up of Yugoslovia and the Balkan wars significent... or the First Gulf war... or the invasion of Iraq or the rise of Al Qeada or the Israeli/Lebonanese conflict... or 9/11 or the disintergration of Somalia... or the whole Darfur mess... or the genocide in Rawanda were not serious international crisises huh.

Well you do know he ranked #596 out of a class of 600 and we already know what a mess a C average student can make of things.

I have prevented in indulging in the name calling and smearing of McCain that the Obamaphobes have indulged in but if McCain really believes this... he is not only unqualified to be president, he is a moron.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I saw McInsane make the statement about nations not invading other nations on TV and nearly spit soda all over the screen. Just when I think it couldn't get any worse.
I feel bad for people who think that this election is going to bring CHANGE with either of these two candidates. It will continue to be "business as usual".

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Oh good lord, we're screwed.

I think, at this point, the best any of us in America can hope for is that whichever of the two gets elected chooses a veep and a cabinet with a clue. McCain seems to have a few too many moments where he's completely out of touch with reality and Obama's got too much of the rockstar mentality.

Neither is something I'd like to see in a President.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How is he wrong again?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Because of Iraq, Iran, 9/11, Kosovo, Bosnia. Unless the UN sending in troops is not considered international, or another nation attacking another, or invading two countries...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

These don't seem like "international crises" though. Right now, if we're not careful, we can spark a war between nuclear powers. I don't think we've ever had such a dangerous situation since the face-offs with the USSR.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wolfmanjack

By the way, McNut also forgot about the nuclear enrichment in N.Korea, which was potentially a more serious crisis than a relatively minor war in the Caucasus.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Um, Afganistan attacking America isn't International? This lead to TWO WARS involving the UN, United Nations, as in diferent Nations, International. Neocon logic is the only way to say something that invovles International response is not International.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So what ever happened to the war on terror being the biggest threat the US has ever known? Their old propaganda story is starting to sound weak so I guess they need a new one. Proof McCain is no more different than Bush.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

Well, it wasn't quite Afghanistan, but I don't think the threat level is anywhere near a potential conflict with Russia.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join