It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin D... Miracle cure?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
So lately I've been hearing about Vitamin D in the news. Seems that
studies are suggesting our society is seriously deficient, and that it
has been linked to a high rates of mortality. Anyway, "they" are
saying now that most multiple vitamins aren't necessarily needed, but
vitamin D is.
Most multi-s don't carry vitamin D, and the stories I have seen
recommend taking 1000 units of it a day.
So I went out and bought some... yep great marketing.

Anyway I noticed a very odd side effect. We all know Vitamin D is
great for bones and the absorption of both calcium and phosphorus, but
I get an increased sense of well being and the ability to focus for
long periods of time with it. So I thought the following...

Hrmmm Serious Vitamin D deficiencies and high rates of ADD,
depression and other attention based behaviors in the same society. I
bet there is a link...

So I did some searching. Seems that lack of calcium and phosphorus
absorption is behind many maladies...diabetes, heartburn, onset of MS,
Seasonal Affective Disorder, depressions, pains, fatigue , high blood
pressure, arterialsclerosis etc.

Anyway, as someone who battles with undiagnosed ADD, this is a wonder
vitamin for me thus far. Keep in mind that lack of it also has to do
with constipation, so if you try it you may have the runs the first
time. I take one usually around 2 in the afternoon, and my normal
burping indigestion has all but disappeared. My focus is high, and I
just feel extremely balanced (lol). Anyway, I thought I would pass
this along to you.

The following links are some stuff I found. Obviously Noogle (News
google) it, to see the recent stuff about it. Either way, I bet we
find it is associated with ADD as well.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

scienceblogs.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
everything nad nothings seems to work for AD/HD, which leads me to believe that being healthy overall is the key (D'uh) instead of wonder cures which selectively target just a one narrow condition.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the real CT here is about sunblocker and FDA's abysimal recommendations of 15 min of sunlight a day. darks skinned people are likely to become severely Vitamin D deficient that way, especially blacks, but any mention of this fact, see f-ex. www.naturalnews.com... will earn you a suspicion for racism, when the cause is just darker skin. nothing magical about it.

sunlight is also extremely helpful against various skin afflictions.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Yeah I just started taking it because of some of the stories on the news.

And I have had AMAZING results thus far.

Anyone else using Vitamin D?

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I haven't taken any, but I've been considering it (as part of a general awakening on holistic health). I'm so fair skinned, I burn after terribly short periods in the sun - I know I must be terribly deficient, so I thought supplements may help.

Quazga, how much do you take? The recommended 1000? I've seen so much conflicting evidence on how much we really need it's hard to say.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
I haven't taken any, but I've been considering it (as part of a general awakening on holistic health). I'm so fair skinned, I burn after terribly short periods in the sun - I know I must be terribly deficient, so I thought supplements may help.

Quazga, how much do you take? The recommended 1000? I've seen so much conflicting evidence on how much we really need it's hard to say.

The docs on tv (scary I know) recommended 1000 IU. That was real easy to find at my local CVS or Kroger. Now the side of the bottle says it's 250% of a daily value. However, most Vitamin D sites like the ones I posted seem to assume that we may be underestimating the amount of D we need per day, so the 250% maybe be closer to 100%.

We mostly get it naturally from the sun, and I would expect most tribal humans got lots more sun than us today.

The pills are hecka small too. I've been doing it for about 4 days now, with no side effects other than the initial "flush of the system" I mentioned.

[edit on 15-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well sounds good to me. I'm gonna go out and buy some. I've got the multivitamin (that i never take) now i'm gonna get the big D. My fingernails have lines in them, i know that means something about vitamin deficiancy but im' not sure which.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've researched this as well (the evidence is strong), and various sources suggested taking 2000 or 3000 IU a day.

It's not expensive stuff, and I'm very motivated to avoid chronic disease in my late middle age. So I swallow three little pills a day.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
How could something this important end up in skunkworks?

Vitamin D deficiency is a critical condition and can allow cancer to take hold. A
simple blood test in the doctors office can diagnose this sort of critical condition.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have no idea what to think of viatmins these days.
My doctor recommended I take B12 to enhance my energy and mental clarity. He also warned me of the severe side effects if I stray from the 1 pill a day.
I did tons of research and found that most people think there are only a few brands to trust.
I was already thinking of taking some B vitamins just to help with my meditation.
So to make a long story short I bought a bottle of 90 pills of B12 from Swiss Natural resources.
After taking my 1 pill a day for 2 weeks I realized nothing was feeling different...still had a hard time concentrating, sleeping, always sore.
I figure, what the hell, I will up the dosage...so I started experimenting and in 5 weeks I ingested over 100 B12 (went and bought another bottle of the same stuff)....and nothing no difference at all, no side effects.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to tell me a brand name or a place to find actual vitamins that don't seem to be placebo's

I have been told the only brand to trust are Swiss and Solgar, but then again you never know who to trust.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashodi

Kashodi I had similar experiences. And like I mentioned. Most experts, not doctors, but experts on the cutting edge are recommending that the only vitamin you should be taking is D.

E acutally increases chances of heart issues

C can actually be toxic in large doses

B , if taken too much can also be dangerous

I never felt a lot from other vitamins, although B made it easier for me to wake up in the morning if I took it before going to bed.

But the D really has a noticeable effect at the 1000 UI level for me.

I wouldn't take much more than that. I feel amazing with the one.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
How could something this important end up in skunkworks?

Vitamin D deficiency is a critical condition and can allow cancer to take hold. A
simple blood test in the doctors office can diagnose this sort of critical condition.

Well, my skunkworks theory is that I have amazing focus now.

I think that attention issues might be linked to D deficiencies.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The Weston A Price web-site is one of the best and most comprehensive health sites on the internet. Here is the page on Vitamin D. Readers should note that although studies do suggest great health benefits, it can be toxic for certain individuls and over certain amounts:

www.westonaprice.org...

During the last ten years, researchers have made a number of exciting discoveries about vitamin D. They have ascertained, for example, that vitamin D is an antioxidant that is a more effective antioxidant than vitamin E in reducing lipid peroxidation and increasing enzymes that protect against oxidation.19;20

Vitamin D deficiency decreases biosynthesis and release of insulin.21 Glucose intolerance has been inversely associated with the concentration of vitamin D in the blood. Thus, vitamin D may protect against both Type I and Type II diabetes.22

The risk of senile cataract is reduced in persons with optimal levels of D and carotenoids.23

PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) has been corrected by supplementation of D and calcium.24

Vitamin D plays a role in regulation of both the "infectious" immune system and the "inflammatory" immune system.25
Low vitamin D is associated with several autoimmune diseases including multiple sclerosis, Sjogren's Syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroiditis and Crohn's disease.26;27

Osteoporosis is strongly associated with low vitamin D. Postmenopausal women with osteoporosis respond favorably (and rapidly) to higher levels of D plus calcium and magnesium.28

D deficiency has been mistaken for fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue or peripheral neuropathy.1;28-30

Infertility is associated with low vitamin D.31 Vitamin D supports production of estrogen in men and women.32 PMS has been completely reversed by addition of calcium, magnesium and vitamin D.33 Menstrual migraine is associated with low levels of vitamin D and calcium.81
Breast, prostate, skin and colon cancer have a strong association with low levels of D and lack of sunlight.34-38

Activated vitamin D in the adrenal gland regulates tyrosine hydroxylase, the rate limiting enzyme necessary for the production of dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine. Low D may contribute to chronic fatigue and depression.39

Seasonal Affective Disorder has been treated successfully with vitamin D. In a recent study covering 30 days of treatment comparing vitamin D supplementation with two-hour daily use of light boxes, depression completely resolved in the D group but not in the light box group.40
High stress may increase the need for vitamin D or UV-B sunlight and calcium.41

People with Parkinsons and Alzheimers have been found to have lower levels of vitamin D.42;43

Low levels of D, and perhaps calcium, in a pregnant mother and later in the child may be the contributing cause of "crooked teeth" and myopia. When these conditions are found in succeeding generations it means the genetics require higher levels of one or both nutrients to optimize health.44-47

Behavior and learning disorders respond well to D and/or calcium combined with an adequate diet and trace minerals.48;49

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Absolutely untrue.

Where did you hear that?

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thanks Quazga for the info.
I will be trying some new dosages of Vitamine D, and this time not taking 100 pills in 5 weeks like i did with the B12 (although I'm still puzzled as to why I had no reaction at all)

Although, I am still wondering if there are companies anyone can suggest that I can trust, I live in Ontario, Canada.

Great thread!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

KosmicJack!

You found support for my hypothesis!!!!

Thank you very much! I guess Atlantans think alike :-)

Thanks for the research!

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Absolutely untrue.

Where did you hear that?

Actually it's pretty well known in the health industry now. First heard about it from a Nurse, was shocked to hear. And did some research...

Here is an example from HealthAtoZ.com

Keep in mind, the same is also true for D, which is why I don't recommend anyone taking anything but the recommended dosage and consult a physician. The story I saw recommended 1000 UI , which is 250% of your DV, but they also said, that studies are showing that the amount of vitamin D we need may be underestimated currently.

This article recommends between 1000 and 2000 Internation Units a day as a safe dose.

www.grandforksherald.com...

[edit on 16-8-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

let me print that out:

Taking too much of any vitamin can produce a toxic effect. Vitamin A and vitamin D are the most likely to produce hypervitaminosis in large doses, while riboflavin, pantothenic acid, biotin, and vitamin C appear to be the least likely to cause problems.

they don't tell you the reasons, though.

fat soluble vitamins can be overosed and they accumulate when you do. toxicity will surface only after a while and is tbh unlikely in the case of D and E.

you can tak ascorbic acid by the grams with no ill effects, dysentry starts at ~14 grams a pop, a limit which can be circumvented by intravenous application (needs to be ph - neutral, fe-x. sodium ascorbate + buffer for that application), in which case a pound a day can easily be administered.

i wouldn't exceed that for reasons of infused volume alone, though.

ie. it's one of the least toxic substances known, right behind water.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

From your source:

VITAMIN C

The RDA for vitamin C in adults is 60 mg per day. Large doses of vitamin C are considered to be toxic in persons with a family history of or tendency to form kidney stones or gallbladder stones. Kidney and gallbladder stones usually consist of calcium oxalate. Oxalate occurs in high concentrations in foods such as cocoa, chocolate, rhubarb, and spinach. A fraction of the vitamin C in the body is normally broken down in the body to produce oxalate. A daily supplement of 3.0 grams of vitamin C has been found to double the level of oxalate that passes through the kidneys and is excreted into the urine.

I don't have a whole lot of time right now, but much of the above is complete nonsense.

Start with Pauling's research and then read the scientific literature (not some poor rehash) from the past 10 years where daily doses of 30 GRAMS or more can be sustained for long periods of time, if not indefinitely, by otherwise normally healthy people.

Your source is not to be believed.

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Great thread. Why's this in Skunk Works instead of Medical Issues (and why is Medical Issues filled with pseudoscience instead of this)?

The question I have is, what is the safe dose? When does it because harmful? I have my parents (and myself occasionally) on Vitamin C because it's practically impossible to orally overdose (you too Quazga).

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

So lately I've been hearing about Vitamin D in the news. Seems that
studies are suggesting our society is seriously deficient, and that it
has been linked to a high rates of mortality. Anyway, "they" are
saying now that most multiple vitamins aren't necessarily needed, but
vitamin D is.
Most multi-s don't carry vitamin D, and the stories I have seen
recommend taking 1000 units of it a day.
So I went out and bought some... yep great marketing.

Anyway I noticed a very odd side effect. We all know Vitamin D is
great for bones and the absorption of both calcium and phosphorus, but
I get an increased sense of well being and the ability to focus for
long periods of time with it. So I thought the following...

Hrmmm Serious Vitamin D deficiencies and high rates of ADD,
depression and other attention based behaviors in the same society. I
bet there is a link...

So I did some searching. Seems that lack of calcium and phosphorus
absorption is behind many maladies...diabetes, heartburn, onset of MS,
Seasonal Affective Disorder, depressions, pains, fatigue , high blood
pressure, arterialsclerosis etc.

Anyway, as someone who battles with undiagnosed ADD, this is a wonder
vitamin for me thus far. Keep in mind that lack of it also has to do
with constipation, so if you try it you may have the runs the first
time. I take one usually around 2 in the afternoon, and my normal
burping indigestion has all but disappeared. My focus is high, and I
just feel extremely balanced (lol). Anyway, I thought I would pass
this along to you.

The following links are some stuff I found. Obviously Noogle (News
google) it, to see the recent stuff about it. Either way, I bet we
find it is associated with ADD as well.

www.nlm.nih.gov...

scienceblogs.com...

I don't suppose you read this scientific study about Vitamin D before taking it did you?
This was published in January.
www.sciencedaily.com...
The recent finding of low vitamin D in sick people and people who died means nothing.They have always known this.
There is a reason why sick people have low Vitamin D and it isn't because they aren't getting enough or taking supplements.
Taking more can make the problem worse.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join