It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Phelps is cheating.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I think he's only 12 years old and thats why he can swim so fast...... Oh wait Im confusing him with China's women/pre-teen gymnastic's team!

Sorry about the mix up!

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesMartel

Originally posted by italkyoulisten
In response to the China is cheating thread:

Oh yeah? Well Michael Phelps cheats. you can't possibly be in that many events one after another and win.

Have you ever noticed that he listens to his ipod before every race?

Did you notice that Michael Phelps wears earphones and is listening music just before his every Olympic start, at Beijing's Olympiad Water Cube pool deck, be it finals or semifinals? I first noticed that before his first gold swim on August 10: Phelps removed earphones 2 minutes before the start, and he was the only swimmer who worn earphones at the pool deck.

newsbusters.org...

And you know what else? It is known that sounds at certain frequencies can produce effects on the body and brain. This principle is demonstrated in the program idoser.

On their website, they sell a number of products, known as "doses", one of which is:

Crack
$3.75
Crack / Recreational (Very Strong) / 30 Minutes / It’s a purified form of coc aine. Are you ready for the next level? The effects are produced in minutes, are intensely euphoric, and last between 20 and 30 minutes upon completion of the dose. The intense, short high is followed by a rapid and intense high that lasts about 5 to 7 minutes. There will first be euphoria with delusions and possible hallucinations. Get through the bump, though, and fall into bliss, with some jarring revelations, and a sometimes harsh comedown over the 30 minutes past mark. Not for the inexperienced.

Victory
$3.50
Victory / Steroid (VERY STRONG) / 30 Minutes / Our JuiceIT dose will get your body ready, now get your mind ready! Our victory dose was designed to work with JuiceIT to put your mind in a state like you've "already won." It gives you a huge mental advantage in any game of sports, but don't think it's just for sports: great for workouts, public speaking, or anything where you need to "win" in any sense of the word! Guarentee a victory by putting your mind in a state where it already feels like you've won! Victorious!

i-doser.com...

ipod and idoser share the letters I O and D. What letter is missing? P, for Phelps. Phelps listens to his ipod before every race. Coincidence?

What are you smoking?

I don't know but I bought it from Phelps.

I know it's hard to wrap your minds around my irrevocable proof.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by italkyoulisten
I know it's hard to wrap your minds around my irrevocable proof.

And there's the catch; you've provided no "proof".

You've only provided unsubstantiated accusations, and a poorly constructed theory.

You have yet to prove that idoses are even on his Ipod, let alone proving that they actually work as advertised.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
for every truely great athlete there is someone trying to bring that athlete down from the top. He's broken quite afew world records, and after each record is broken, a drug test must be taken, its regulation.

hes the best, thats it really, he's the fastest swimmer of our time. He's just better than everyone else.

As for the earphones thing, i know that before i play a tennis match, i always listen to my iPod to get syked up, it does make u perform better, but it's not cheating, if anything, I'd learn by example. Swimmers out there, listen to your favourite music just before you swim!

All The Best
Alex

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Seek The Facts

Not every athlete has taken a test after the event so far not one Chinese athlete has been tested so what is to say the he has been tested every time let alone at all, until someone can show the test results on paper we will never kow if he has been.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by italkyoulisten

are you retarded???

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
GREAT THREAD!!! Bravo to the OP! This is a fantastic example of backhoe digging for a conspiracy. Guess the Chinese lying about all kinds of things from the opening ceremony computer generated fireworks to their athletes' ages is all forgiven because Phelps listens to music before events.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by hinky

12,000 calories a day ? He has got to be joking. That would cause cramps. He would be eating so often he would not have time for training.

Not to mention Olympic size bowel movements

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I wouldn't say he's cheating but what IS ridiculous is that fact someone can enter so many different races, it makes the whole country v country thing pointless because one person can get half the medal haul in just ONE sport. They should change it to no more than two events per person.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cnm1976
reply to post by Seek The Facts

Not every athlete has taken a test after the event so far not one Chinese athlete has been tested so what is to say the he has been tested every time let alone at all, until someone can show the test results on paper we will never kow if he has been.

Yes, not every athlete is tested during the games...but every medal winner is.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Maybe hearing lots of Chinese people chatting away in an ecoed environment puts his concentration off, it would me if I was reading the paper. For a good start as every milloscond counts and you can not mess up half a second with the worlds best.

In the end other swimmers broke world records but he beat those records on top of that. I hope he wins over 20Gold medels and does it again in London and again in 2016 so that in my lifetime I have witnessed the most amazing Olympic athelete. We all loved Carl Lewis at one point but each generation to their own.

[edit on 18-8-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Brainwave mind voyages has a 'SUBLIMINAL SWIMMING SKILLS CD'. Maybe this guys using that?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I skimmed though the 5 pages and didn't see anyone actually explain this idoser beats nonsense. So here's the science behind the claims..

Binaural Beats (Wiki)

The brain produces a phenomenon resulting in low-frequency pulsations in the loudness of a perceived sound when two tones at slightly different frequencies are presented separately, one to each of a subject's ears, using stereo headphones. A beating tone will be perceived, as if the two tones mixed naturally, out of the brain. The frequency of the tones must be below about 1,000 to 1,500 hertz for the beating to be heard. The difference between the two frequencies must be small (below about 30 Hz) for the effect to occur; otherwise the two tones will be heard separately and no beat will be perceived.

Brainwave synchronization (entrainment) may be achieved when audio signals are introduced to the brain causing a response directly related to the frequency of the signal introduced, called binaural beats. Two tones close in frequency generate a beat frequency at the difference of the frequencies, which is generally subsonic. For example, a 500 Hz tone and 510 Hz tone will produce a subsonic 10 Hz tone, roughly in the middle of the alpha range. The resulting subsonic tone may affect the state of mind of the subject. The "carrier frequency" (e.g., the 500 Hz in the example above), is also said by some to affect the quality of the trans formative experience. Note that this effect is achieved without either ear hearing the pulse when headphones are used. Instead, the brain produces the pulse by combining the two tones. Each ear hears only a steady tone. Although some have claimed that these frequencies do provide help in treating certain medical conditions, there is not a wide acceptance by the medical community to adopt the practice of brainwave synchronization for emotional/mental disorders. The fixed, constant frequency of the synchronization is less helpful than techniques such as classical neuro feedback or learning meditation, also which naturally generate brain wave frequencies that differ from person to person and may vary from minute to minute.

Another website, which explains more of the actual science behind binaural beats can be found here:

Hypothetical Science

My opinion:

I've experimented with binaural beats for about 3 weeks. I wasn't sure if longer exposure would be beneficial, or if it's some kind of "quick effect". But for 3 weeks I sat and listened to some horrible sounding hum for 15-30 minutes while trying to meditate. Absolutely no effect whatsoever. I never got a burst of energy, I never had lucid dreams, it made meditating incredibly unpleasant, and my chronic pains never went away.

Now obviously, the sounds stimulate parts of the brain, that much is proven, but the effects are, in my case, absolutely minimal.

Maybe it's different for you, try for yourself:
Random Beats
More Random Beats

This is all to say that this science hasn't been militarily perfected. Or has it? Bum bum bummmm ...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Teams play home and away games in sport, the reason being for the Travelling and the crowd support. If a crowd boos the other team it can effect their game, when they are being cheered it can help them perform.
Music can help maybe, but no one can say Phelps is using special sounds to help him unless they test his equiptment. He has won 6Golds in 2004, is that not an achievement on its own?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
My personal belief is so what? Soundwaves aren't going to make you swim faster. At most they'll make you "feel" like you can. A slight motivation. Be it binaural beats, or some crazy heavy metal song blaring you senseless. It'll pump you up, maybe get some adrenaline rushing, at most. I found yelling loudly and smashing things before leaving the locker room helps quit a bit. Is that illegal in the Olympics? I doubt listening to music is either.

Muscle prevails over psych. The end.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by II HAL II
I wouldn't say he's cheating but what IS ridiculous is that fact someone can enter so many different races, it makes the whole country v country thing pointless because one person can get half the medal haul in just ONE sport. They should change it to no more than two events per person.

So no one should have the opportunity to prove that they are a great athlete, it is unfair to the others?

Maybe they should all get the same silver medal no matter how well they do. After all they all tried real hard, and did the best they could.

If one person on the planet could win all the medals in all the competitions, I would want to see it! They would be the greatest athlete in all history. And you would deprive them and the world of that recognition.

Is that how they do it in the special olympics?

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Interesting angle.. I think it's more likely he was listening to some metallica or something than you're i-doser thing lol.

In the weeks leading up to the Olympics all athletes are randomly tested and must make themselves available to officials 24 hours a day in case they're called upon to pee in a cup.

Then if you win a meddle you receive a blood and urine test. You might give blood during random tests now I'm not 100%, a urine test does little good anymore beside testing for recreational drugs.
I was interested in giving qualifications a shot in 2004 for powerlifting but would've failed the test at the time.

I would think swimming would be a fairly clean sport, anabolic steroids would be a disadvantage, reducing stamina, increasing heart rate and causing agonizing blood flow to muscles during any kind of endurance work.

Erythropoetin is probably quite common as in cycling and distance running. Doping too, which isn't a synonym for taking performance enhancers like the media associates the term with.
Blood doping is when you remove a pint of your own blood 6-9 months before a contest, let it regenerate and then an hour or two before you compete you IV it back so you have an extra pint circulating to carry additional oxygen. Your body destroys the excess quickly so it's usually done on site; it's extremely common.

How do people think records get broken consistently year after year? As if no one was really trying until now
New drugs come out, new ways to beat tests are discovered. If everyone stopped all performance enhancing drugs today, all the times would drastically drop and become stagnant barring genetic freaks who come along every now and then.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think Michael Phelps is Flipper the Dolfin.

He is phlipper the phelps phlapping phlopping phlaunting his Gold treature from the bottom of the sea. They call him Philper, phliper...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-8-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
No, it possibly coudnt be that he eats 12,000 CALORIES A DAY and practices 5hrs a day and is built like a giant dolphin. Nope, that couldnt be the reason he is an incredible athlete.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Please provide PROOF that MP has broken US Olympic rules, then come back and talk about whether or not he is "cheating"

[edit on 8/14/2008 by greeneyedleo]

I agree, this is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while here and there is some seriously dumb stuff on here as of late.

Someone works hard, deservingly wins, so they must be cheating.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm certainly no Olympic athlete (I'd struggle to call myself an athlete) but when I work out, I try to have my mp3 player and I listen to some pretty hard hitting, up tempo stuff.

When I've got the music going on, it totally pumps me up - I run faster, lift harder. I can easily see how this could be a Zen thing for Phelps. No need to spend extra cash on iDoser stuff, just find the right music that works for you

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join