It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is no air in space, how do they use rockets to position the space shuttle?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manasseh
reply to post by truth_seeker3

You are correct.

I am the One.

Now, back to the subject.

How do you produce thrust without air to push against?

You don't push against air, you push against the force of gravity.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Manasseh

Please do not call me by that word arrogant. I am depressed by that word. I am angry, since, you continue to defy God's word and law by not accepting his truth. If you have a question about God, I can call up a local clergy. They will tell you how space ships fly. I am certain. I am also certain that you have not devoted your entire life to God's work, and still deny space travel.

You need a clergy consultation my friend.

*Remember you are on ATS, I would also appreciate if a Mod would settle, or close this, this is seeming very ridiculous, or be moved to religious conspiracies*

[edit on 13-8-2008 by truth_seeker3]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Release the baloon in space.

Then what happens??

No air to push against, baloon goes nowhere.

But, push the baloon, assuming you are anchored against something, and the baloon goes forever, because there is no friction, no atmosphere, supposedly.

See what Im saying yet?

You people are too busy jumping down my throat cause you know it all to see the truth, that I know more than you.
Hah.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Manasseh]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Manasseh.....please read my post above...it's the fairly longish one.

You asked about 'pushing against the air'....you're thinking of it backwards.

If you are trying to equate that it is necessary to have a body of air to 'push' against (such as you would do if you were on a skateboard, and pushed against a wall) then you simply are not understanding that the force of a mass escaping from a nozzle will, as a consequence, impart energy in the opposite direction. In a vacuum, then now there is little to no friction for the vehicle, as it is propelled forward.

It is the MASS of the expelled gases that propel the MASS of the vehicle. It really is that simple.

A vehicle in space will ACCELERATE as long as thrust is being applied. Thrust removed, and the speed will not change (assuming no other outside influences) It isn't that hard to understand.....look it up.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

OK smarty pants, then you tell me. What is the burning of the rocket fuel pushing against to move the space shuttle.

Look, this question will burn your minds, until you accept that there are things in the universe that scientists, in all their self imposing glory, cannot explain.

Until you accept that, then we cannot move on to the next lesson, which is,

God is in control.

Amen?

Maybe space itself has a forcefield that turns on or works only when something is speeding against it (such as spewed burning rocket fuel). But then again, then the other side would push against the field and the object wouldnt go one way or the other.

Interesting. Maybe there is a such thing as an illusion we are inside of that makes us not see that space has an intent function. Where it knows the intent of the vehicle by it's makers (rocket scientist), and goes with the flow of the intent, and so there maybe is actually "intent control" or an intent order that's different than "mind control" as an intelligent universal order we are under that reads our intent.

Just maybe space is like a magic genie that works based on intent to what we build. In other words we have to work for it by building something and cant just make a wish by word in space.

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Huh? To gave gas pressure, you need a gas.
To have liquid pressure, you need a liquid.
To have electromagnetic pressure, you must have photons.

To have atmospheric pressure, I suppose you need an atmosphere. Are you some 12 year olds arguing about star trek or something? I don't get the joke I guess.

Look... Take a CO2 cartridge with a remote trigger device, or a balloon that you can somehow actuate to open up (the little weiner balloons are great). Evacuate a bell-jar. Let the device expel some gas. What happens? It is propelled! Holy crap, you can do this on earth because *we can make vacuums on earth*.

This is a simple physics problem guys. It is called con-ser-va-tion-of-mo-men-tum. Newton's laws break down at high energy... but momentum is ALWAYS always always always conserved.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

reply to post by weedwhacker

Release the baloon in space.

Then what happens??

No air to push against, baloon goes nowhere.

But, push the baloon, assuming you are anchored against something, and the baloon goes forever, because there is no friction, no atmosphere, supposedly.

See what Im saying yet?

You people are too busy jumping down my throat cause you know it all to see the truth, that I know more than you.
Hah.

Sorry to Mods, but this was necessary....

I see NO ONE 'jumping down' your throat!!

I see people trying to answer your question....."If there is no air in space, how do they use rockets to position the space shuttle?"

Did I misunderstand your question? You asked, several have attempted to answer.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mabus

Hmm. Interesting theory Mabus.

I like your thinking.

You think on another level, which is the intent of this thread.

We are not mere mortals. but we are created with God's mind.

Thanks for your input.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Dude, just give it up. We have all formed a opinion, yet you refuse to answer our comments, or questions.

BTW, you need to:

-Answer about the government lying
and more importantly,

-Please stop making us Catholics look like were some fools running around in the dark. Please!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I just found this thread...and I did not read every post.

But to simplify the answer, you cannot release a baloon in space, as the results would be the same as if you released a human in space with no space suit...it would get all of the air sucked out at a drastic rate. Now moving on to rockets in space...nope, no "air" in space. But this does not exclude atoms from being present as atoms are everything. Heat from rockets expand atoms, thus providing the thrust needed...no complicated science, just common sense.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

You are correct.

I am the One.

Now, back to the subject.

The very act of the rocket fuel accelerating itself by combustion (fuel+oxidizer+heat) being directed by a nozzle takes force. The craft itself provides the force to direct the exhaust. The force on the craft is equal to the amount of force needed to direct the exhaust. This force accelerates the craft (ship+fuel load).

The energy load is stored in the chemical bonds in the rocket fuel.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Huh? Thrust is simply a force. What are you pushing against? The intertia of your propellant.

F = mA, Newton's Second Law of motion? Mass is a measure of intertia? Did you take physics in high school?

Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think McFly, think!

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

If you take your hand, and push against nothing, you get no force in the opposite direction.

You folks ought to limit your flouride intake.

It's not that tough. We are being duped big time.

But you go on loving your beloved kings, while the true King waits for your allegience.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
You must be having a good time, getting all these people all fired up. I'm kinda laughing myself. Reminds me of my childhood days, playing the "Why" game with my Dad...good times. On here though, it just gets old and tired real quick.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What is it exactly you are wanting to know because your question seems deluded by your responses. You seem very offensive about this...it can actually be discussed sensibly instead of irrationally

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by m4j35t1c12

Dude, you should really quit slapping yourself in the forehead.

It may not be good for your brain.

Doctors will probably create a new drug for forehead slapping know it alls.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceDada

Originally posted by eNumbra

Huh? Thrust is simply a force. What are you pushing against? The intertia of your propellant.

F = mA, Newton's Second Law of motion? Mass is a measure of intertia? Did you take physics in high school?

Hello? Anybody home? Huh? Think McFly, think!

Oops, replied to the wrong post,
Heres the one i wanted.

Ok. There is no atmosphere on The Moon. The Lunar Lander would never have been able to get off The Moon without thrust.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

If you take your hand, and push against nothing, you get no force in the opposite direction.

You folks ought to limit your flouride intake.

It's not that tough. We are being duped big time.

But you go on loving your beloved kings, while the true King waits for your allegience.

Yes, you do when you accelerate it. The amount of force you put on your hand to accelerate it is the same amount of force the rest of you experiences but in the opposite direction.

The amount is normally small so you don't experience much but try tossing a bowling ball (or something heavier even) away from you with as much strength as you can. Then you'll surely be able to feel the reaction and may even stumble as you get accelerated in the opposite direction.

Perhaps try it while sitting on something that rolls with little resistance.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I can tell you are trying.

You are talking about inertia.

I am talking about thrust.

Two different concepts.

But thanks for at least a respectable attempt.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join