It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN report on honor killings makes no mention of Islam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Check out this report on honor killings on CNN. At no time do they mention that this is a problem in Islam. Not only that, but they take something that is primarily aimed at Muslim woman and down play it to a problem with "family pride". One has to wonder why the media goes to such links to cover up the facts.

Of course, we all know the media has no problem attacking Christians. As a non-religious person watching all of this, I find it disturbing and sickening.

Here's is the opinion of a guy who regularly appears on CNN.

www.latimes.com...

I'd never realized how much of a death cult Christianity is. When we weren't fixating on how awesome Christ's murder was, we were singing about how terrific it was going to be when we bite it. Chipper up, Christians! There's a lot to live for. They're making more of those 'Narnia' movies.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yes, i saw that report on CNN last night, pretty crazy stuff, especially if it is at the same rate as the reporter and Cop were saying.

It didn't mention muslims or Islamic followers as the instigators when clearly, each family that has had this problem has been muslim.

They obviously just don't want to have to contend with the backlash that would be guaranteed from some islamic fanatics if they did single them out.

It is a strange way to treat your children.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
because muslims would blow up embassies around the world if they mentioned their religion. if this was a catholic issue, CNN would have said it outright and no one would have cared. it is the spin CNNs leftist puts on it

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Good to see that this issue is at least getting some attention. It is very sad that our media is getting pushed around by this religion.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

If it's a Muslim issue then why has Muhammad forbade the practice? Why does it occur in non-Muslim cultures? You can argue that is occurs most in Muslim cultures, but that doesn't mean it's Islamic in orgin. If it existed prior to Islam, and exists outside of Islam, why do you say it's Islamic?

Oh and to the posters saying, "If this was a Catholic issue, they would have no trouble saying it," way to throw the first stone.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Honour killings are a disgrace and have no place in our society.

The last thing anyone could describe me as is an Islamic apologist or supporter but I think it's grossly unfair to label honour killings as an Islamic practice. Several Asian culures and societies practice honour killings and it transcends religion.
Some Sikhs, Hindu's, Druze Christians etc carry out honour killings.
The common denominator appears to be that they are all rural communities.

It is a cultural practice, not a religious one.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 14/8/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Muslims are the ones who practice honor killings far more than any other group, and they practice honor killings when living in other cultures. It is their way of controlling their women, with the purpose of breeding more children, and taking over the country. This is exactly what they do.

Western nations need to take steps to stop this practice, and protect the women from this barbaric practice.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It doesnt matter if the person doing it islamic, or buddhist, or purple, for gods sake. What matters is that it stops.
the oppresion of women is broad and wide and sweeps the globe.

This is a barbaric practice based on arcane beliefs and is no more islamic then marrying your 13 yr old daughter to her 47 yr old uncle is christian.

Why is little mention ever made of female circumcision, which is a brutal tradition. Or the fact the young girls of 12 and 13 are married off and having babies routinely in africa, certain religious sects in the us, and across the world.

well they were talking about it in the us, and someone tried to take action but they bungled that so bad it is a disgrace

these along with a hundred other problems still facing women in the world at large need attention brought to them without quibbling over the delivery of the reporter.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Western nations need to take steps to stop this practice, and protect the women from this barbaric practice.

I absolutely agree.
Civilised society has no place for this inhuman practice.

However, honour killings are not unique to Islam and is indeed held to be as barbaric to some Muslims as it is to you and I.

I repeat, honour killings are a cultural practice, not a religious one.

www.stophonourkillings.com...

To limit the condemnation of honour killings to the Muslim communities only will result in the campaign to eradicate the pracitce getting bogged down in religious dogma and bigotry.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I would also like to add that this story did in fact clearly make the connection with certain aspects of Islamic culture simply by the images it incorporated into the piece.

I don't need someone to show me an orange and also call it an orange in order for me to see that it is in fact an orange. the visual is enough.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here is a thread I started on essentially the same subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

This led me to a website that has some very eye popping information that the world needs to become more aware of.

www.exmuslim.com...

"Girls are considered marriageable from the time they reach puberty. The lower class marries very young. The ages for marriage and first
pregnancy on Tarut Island, off the east coast, were published in a rare study on women that I unearthed from a library. In the group as a whole, the mean age for marriage was fourteen, with the first pregnancy occurring at sixteen. Out of 193 girls, 3 married as young as ten. Among the Bedouins and the rural poor, a girl can be the second of two wives, married to a man older than her father, the mother of several children, and suffering from severe depression by the age of eighteen."

"Miriam Ali, in "Without Mercy", pub. by Warner Books, 1995 tells
the story of her daughters being abducted and sold as wives in Yemen...

Zana had met so many girls taken from the Midlands (England), taken
by force who were now in Yemen. One was a petite blonde from Derby. She was 9 years old when she was taken and had already three miscarriages when she became pregnant a forth time.

This stuff needs to be brought out into the open. If you have a daughter, it ought to make your blood boil.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Strict control of immigration, and deportation of the fathers and the brothers who threaten the women should be the starting point. If they are willing to do these things to their own daughters, what are they willing to do to ours?

Why this isn't getting a whole heck of a lot more media attention, I have no understanding. There should be a major effort to set up shelters and relocation programs for these women who are trying to escape this form of slavery, sexual slavery, because that is what it is.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It doesn't get the media attention it deserves due to the sensabilities of the PC brigade.
Anything that upsets their naive perception of all the worlds evils being of European, American or Christian origin is either deemed racist or simply ignored.
The same applies to female circumcision which is essentially performed by people originating from rural African communities.

In addition it is an irrelevance to the powers that control MSM and ultimately the political agenda as it simply does not affect them.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
That there is a prime example of what is known as "media bias", and it comes in many colors.

Pardon my knack for the obvious but you'd be surprised how many people do not, can not or will not recognize these blatant examples of media bias if it bit them in the tuckus.

new topics

top topics

join