It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We helped in Iraq - now help us, beg Georgians

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I understand how Kosovo relates to this...

When the West Recognized Kosovo, Personaly, i thought it was a bad idea...

It has opened a pandoras box... And its a shame...

Is this the next stage of world affiars? Are small regions going to keep Claiming independence?

Logicaly, if the west will accpet Kosovo, then why not other regions like it... Like South Ossetia... Why? I can't answer... But it is confusing...

This is one of those situations, where IM GLAD i don't have to make these choices...

Georgia is a US-Ally... and, the US is losing Face by not defending it...

The US should stay out of other nations buisness... But we are already in with the Georgians... in hindsight, the US probaly shouldn't have been in Georgias Buisness, training and Arming them... But we did, and we are...

There is still hope for this conflict to end without further bloodshed...

[edit on 8/11/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Its not that the U.S. can't do anything, its that things will get really sticky if the U.S takes action.

The U.S. can easily defeat (not overrun and conquer) Russia in a conventional war. The U.S. can easily take control of the Black Sea and use submarines with cruise missiles to rain hell on the Russian military. The U.S. can easily send thousands of troops and heavy equipment from Iraq, through Turkey, and into Georgia and set up an effective defense.

The problem is those damn nukes. I don't think any leader will put hundreds of millions at risk for the fate of one small country.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
There's only so much we can do to help them out with this situation. If the US military were to get involved in this conflict it could risk sparking a third world war. Even to impose economic sanctions against Russia would be tricky since they are permanent members of the UN security council and an important country for us to be on decent terms with.

The most I'd do here would be to covertly supply the Georgians with arms and weaponry and do what it takes to protect their economic interests. We don't want Russia intervening when it's time for us to take care of Iran.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gateway
All the WARMONGERS on this thread thirsty for Russian blood are the same Neocons that brought us Iraq, and beating the drums to attack Iran, and now want a war with Russia...

Complete idiocy, what is it with killing that you guys love so much...

Why the Neocons love their little beloved Neocon State Georgia...

The anti-Russian bias of the Western media is really something to behold: "Russia Invades Georgia," "Russia Attacks Georgia," and variations thereof have been some of the choice headlines reporting events in the Caucasus, but the reality is not only quite different, but the exact opposite. Sometimes this comes out in the third or fourth paragraph of the reportage, in which it is admitted that the Georgians tried to "retake" the "breakaway province" of South Ossetia. The Georgian bombing campaign and the civilian casualties – if they are mentioned at all – are downplayed and presented as subject to dispute.

The Georgians have been openly engaging in a military buildup since last year, and President Mikhail Saakashvili and his party have been proclaiming from the rooftops their aim of re-conquering South Ossetia (and rebellious Abkhazia, while they're at it). Avid readers of Antiwar.com saw this coming. In a column entitled "Wars to Watch Out For," I wrote: "As President Mikheil Saakashvili deflowers his own revolution and shuts down the opposition media, he could well try to divert attention away from his political problems by ginning up a fresh conflict with the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, both of which are protected by Russian troops and regional militias."

Read the rest of the article here:www.antiwar.com...

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Gateway]
Gateway Saakashvili won't be president of Georgia for much longer if things keep going this way I can see the fool being the first one on the plane outta Teblisi if the Russians come.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by mike dangerously]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes this was painful to read and hear... heh

But there is not much the U.S. can do but sit back and watch it happen. We didn't get into WWII until the very end of it, and only then because it was obvious that Hitler was going to bring it to our doorstep if nothing was done to stop him...

Now Russia is trying to re-constitute it's former Glory as the U.S.S.R.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously

All the WARMONGERS on this thread thirsty for Russian blood are the same Neocons that brought us Iraq, and beating the drums to attack Iran, and now want a war with Russia...

The anti-Russian bias of the Western media is really something to behold: "Russia Invades Georgia," "Russia Attacks Georgia," and variations thereof have been some of the choice headlines reporting events in the Caucasus, but the reality is not only quite different, but the exact opposite. Sometimes this comes out in the third or fourth paragraph of the reportage, in which it is admitted that the Georgians tried to "retake" the "breakaway province" of South Ossetia. The Georgian bombing campaign and the civilian casualties – if they are mentioned at all – are downplayed and presented as subject to dispute.

The Georgians have been openly engaging in a military buildup since last year, and President Mikhail Saakashvili and his party have been proclaiming from the rooftops their aim of re-conquering South Ossetia (and rebellious Abkhazia, while they're at it). Avid readers of Antiwar.com saw this coming. In a column entitled "Wars to Watch Out For," I wrote: "As President Mikheil Saakashvili deflowers his own revolution and shuts down the opposition media, he could well try to divert attention away from his political problems by ginning up a fresh conflict with the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, both of which are protected by Russian troops and regional militias."

Gateway Saakashvili won't be president of Georgia for much long if things keep going this way I can see the fool being the first one on the plane outta Teblisi if the Russians come.

If the Georgian people and military are smart they'd remove this guy from office, before the Russians come-in, for getting them involved in this mess. All he did was bring death and destruction to a people that were just trying to live their lives a week ago.

Just a total stupid miscalculation by Saakashvili.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
Its not that the U.S. can't do anything, its that things will get really sticky if the U.S takes action.

The U.S. can easily defeat (not overrun and conquer) Russia in a conventional war. The U.S. can easily take control of the Black Sea and use submarines with cruise missiles to rain hell on the Russian military. The U.S. can easily send thousands of troops and heavy equipment from Iraq, through Turkey, and into Georgia and set up an effective defense.

The problem is those damn nukes. I don't think any leader will put hundreds of millions at risk for the fate of one small country.

No, I'm sorry, but none of what you say would be easy or even possible for us to do outside of making total war against Russia. The Russians have checked every limited response option leaving only the option we will not choose for the obvious reason that it's not in our interest. All major points of entry into Georgia are under direct Russian control as are logistics routes. Georgia is in the grip of a powerful constrictor and is being slowly choked to death.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Alarmist2012
reply to post by misswanderer31

To support Georgia in any Military way would mean a US war with Russia.

I'm not sure anyone on either side wants that to happen.

This is the basic truth.

Ontop of anything though, what allies does US really have?
The World dislikes them.
We associate with them to not be on the "bad side" - strategy.

But then when it boils down to this, who wants Russia to lead the new World aswell?

Get ready (not that you can) third one is on the brink.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike dangerously

Gateway Saakashvili won't be president of Georgia for much longer if things keep going this way I can see the fool being the first one on the plane outta Teblisi if the Russians come.

If the Georgian people and military are smart they'd remove this guy from office, before the Russians come-in, for getting them involved in this mess. All he did was bring death and destruction to a people that were just trying to live their lives a week ago.

Just a total stupid miscalculation by Saakashvili.

You can expect no less from a total puppet of the TPTB.The Georgians sholud hand him over to the Russians once this is over with.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
There are no innocents in war ,bolth are equally guilty

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
There are no innocents in war ,bolth are equally guilty

So your taking the approach that they are BOTH WROUNG...

I think they both are right...

Georgia wants thier land, Russia wants thier citizens safe...

Or mabye thier both wroung...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Listen,obviously i am not a big fan of war, video games- it's fun but there's no restart here.When we say in our posts they- Georgians or Russians are fighting and bombing ,..there are people behind it with families ,moms and dads like you and me .who as you just want to have fun and be safe, If for bit people around here and stopped and thought of there own life, this conflict wouldn't seem so much like a game . peace

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Go Russia jk

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

No sane man LIKES war...

But only a fool will run when confronted with it...

The Short of it is this:

Georgia is a US ally, and if the US sits back and lets them get erased from the Map, how will our allies think of us? Why would they support us? Whats the point of being allies? Being an ALLY means fighting along side with each other. We don't need to be allies to trade with a country, as allies, we are MILITARY ALLIES...

And we are leaving our ally out to DIE...

Don't think that the world will let this go unnoticed...

There is no reason to be a US-Ally, if the US isnt going to stand by you...

And as of now, the US is not standing by its ally...

We have let them out to die...

... And its killing me on the inside...

I havent said this on these boards yet, but my parents are in the region... so, this is especialy relevent to me... I havent been able to contact them since this started either...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I agree with many of your points and am sorry about your parents and hope they are safe,I am sure this war won't drag out for much longer ,and you will be together with them soon. gnight

Man cannot understand war, thats why we are doomed to repeat it .

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
What we have here is the process of natural selection in progress. Fools to believe Bush et al to begin with.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gun Slinger

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
To all of you Chamberlains (that believe that US should (or can) do nothing):
In the case freedom and fate of 5mil people is not enough of you, i ask you to say how many would have to be enough for you to step in and stop the invasion. Becose this is how WW2 started, with Czech Republic and Poland. And Russians WILL place their goverment in Georgia and they will occupy them for decades. Thats what they do. I can tell.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jaroslav

Maybe its time us the residents of every backward country that used to require "protection" of every major "superpower" to start looking after our own future.
You just saw what happened to Georgia. They listened to Bush and their idiotic prime minister, I am sure he was reassuring people left and right that what he was planing was the best possible option. I don't think he has any future, I don't believe his party has much future. Those people should be already in the prcocess of a more sane government, probably would be a wise choice for once.
What about yours? What about mine? Why do we have to always depend on US or Russia?
Who says that it has to be this way forever? If we didn't ask for their help in the first place, none of them would be here making demands from us since they "helped" us.
I can understand past WWII decades where everyone though of Russia or US as the allies that saved us from the German yoke but now things have changed.
I have vast reserves of oil in my country and I can't do # because I asked our beloved US to help us from another US ally. We ended up unable to even secure our own energy resources, and I still vote for the same douchebags that put us there in the first place. Thats how idiot I am.

Let US or Russia fight their own wars don't call them for help!
We will always be on the losing side whatever happens if we don't stand up for ourselves. Diplomacy can go a long way. We can have our own powers if at least we give this idea a chance. If we fail at least we tried.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by spacebot]

[edit on 12-8-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I just watched BBC and Medvedev has called a cease fire and is not pushing towards the capital of Georgia, looks like their military is asking for someone to arbitrate between them and the georgians (also hinting that it not be the US if you read between the lines), they are considering peace keepers be brought in and for Georgia to sign a sort of cease fire agreement with South Ossetia and Abkhazia. However Mr Medvedev stopped short of saying Russia would withdraw its troops from Georgia.

However with that said they do not want to deal with Mr Saakashvili and they want him out.

It will interesting to see what happens from here on out... since the French President is now in Moscow perhaps it may be french peace keepers involved??? but whoever the peace keepers will be, will only be whoever the russians are OK with and I don't think it will be the US.

news.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join