It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian tanks 'rolling into Georgian breakaway'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Russian tanks 'rolling into Georgian breakaway'

edition.cnn.com

TBLISI, Georgia (CNN) -- Russian television Friday showed a convoy of Russian tanks and said they were heading into the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia as escalating tensions over the region threatened to boil into full blown conflict.
The move came after Russia denounced as "aggressive" a Georgian troops military offensive to regain control over the province, vowing to respond.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I believe the dung is about to hit the fan. Sit tight folks......

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The RUSSIANS stole the Chinese spotlight for the day

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I'm glad I don't live over there. We see life and death through tv screens and through radios, and it loses all meaning to us.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rentor

You are trying making a joke, but the timing is part of what complicates this issue. China's proudest moment usurped by their "best frienemy". Did they know it was going down? Bush in China for the Olympic ceremonies under threat from Islamic radicals. Iran is a tender box backed by Russia. U.S. is overstretched militarily and financially. There is no easy end to this episode.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
this is the start of it, buckel your seat belt, there is a chance nato could get invloved.. if it gets out of hand

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I've found by frequenting ATS that a large proprtion of the English-speaking world can't really remember anything before September 11, 2001. Many people seem to believe that their borders, markets and societies are maintained by magic or through some inalienable "right" to have a nation or region to call home.

They seem neither to recall their own past, other's past and seem oblivious to the actual current geopolitical climate.

Cries of "illegal war" and questions/accusations about the purpose of the War on Terror and our current military operations in the ME demonstrate this collective abnesia, myopicism and plain ignorance.

So let me make a couple points: One, the US presidential administration basically only has the power to stall or postpone addressing issues and situations. Any President who has to take the Nation into war is reviled at the time. But wars aren't fought without tangible purposes that are or should be of interest to every citizen of the participating Nation.

Please examine this:

Notice anything? That's right. There's a fairly distinct "Bi-partisan" global division across the planet. And most of the current conflict Hot Spots are right along the borders where the two meet.

Is this getting any clearer?

If not, well, then you're probably too *SNIP* to produce any meaningful contributions to your own immediate community and consequently have no real say in these matters anyway. Go play some video games or go golfing and let the rest of us handle this.

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/8/08 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

and then NATO and USA get oblierated in nuclear strike

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

yes very possible manson, time to start praying

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Large firefights breaking out:

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by djerwulfe

Hey,i´m from Estonia and i´m (we) are NOT russias alleys.Where did you get your "map"?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
You fear mongers annoy me
There is Zilch, I reapet Zilch chance of this becoming WW3/Nuclear war or anything you dream up off to scare yourself and everyone else
This is a very bad situation, Many people could die in the violence
But the US or NATO will not threat the chance of Global war over a country that most people didnt know existed t'ill today
This is not an end of times war, this will not spread over into a war between the US/Nato and the Ussr
The worst that could happen is georgia is bombed back into the stone age for the surprise attack that they poorly attempted
And no country would be stupid enough to stand in Russia;s way

link   

Originally posted by unnamedninja
I'm glad I don't live over there. We see life and death through tv screens and through radios, and it loses all meaning to us.

Well I'm glad I live in a quite, peaceful island that hasn't waged war in years.
I wouldn't want to live in America,Russia,China or any of those places. In fact sometimes I feel bad for those kinds of places.

link   
reply to post by rixhell

the map is of USSR era

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This is unbelievable. Why do the Russians feel justified in their Georgia position?

I'm trying to think of an analogy, but I can't.

I mean what if England just decided to go invade former territiories?

This could be potentially disasterous. But ya know what? I'm sick of it. Let's have it out. This time, if we win, we eradicate the core. We try these people for all the crimes. Every KGB should have been imprisoned in 1991.

Where's the EU? Why do they want Russia to gain territory or dictate policy in the west?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

Yeah, I believe that map is a little outdated as it is still defining East and West Germany as separate entities.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Oh the maps outdated.

Sorry. You're right. The situation is completely different.

So Estonians aren't Russian Allies? Well that doesn't seem to bother the Russians. Just ask the Georgians.

Get it? What's Estonia going to do when Putin rolls up with a battalion or 20 of tanks and a grievance?

Or anbody else in the North or East.

Yeah, you got me. It's ALL different now. 17 years later and it's all changed.

I know what the F&^$%#in' map shows. Read the text that accompanies the map.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by djerwulfe]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by djerwulfe

Easy big fella, no need to rupture a vein.....

Im not entirely sure what your point is in that post, what has the War on Terror got to do with this conflict? Im simply the messenger, please dont shoot me

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
War on Terror is a mind-culture and real estate grab by the West to counterbalance the growth of free-markets in the former Communist states. We need the supplies and the land. It's the border/frontier. We've been fighting Russia there for a long time. And still are.
We need the power brokers in those teritiories on the West's payroll, not the East's. And eventually everybody has to take sides. Watch.

China in Africa. Territiorial claim for the East.
Russia reclaiming former teritiories using the same kind of crap rhetoric we use to invade countries that we want.

It seems painfully plain to me because it is a predictable continuation of global conflicts as old as civilization itself.

So who wants Putin and who wants Haliburton? Obama and Osama ain't savin' nobody, nohow.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Few facts straight:
1)GEORGIA attacked and autonomous region
2)Reports started to flow that they were doing an ethnic cleansing of Russians and Ossets in the region
3)Russia intervened

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join