It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in Georgia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This is out in the MSM, we'll see if the larger outlets pick it up:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Georgian armed forces are massing around Tskhinavali after failing to take the separatist capital overnight. Heavy shelling is still taking place, and there are confirmed reports of Georgian airforce strikes against the city and the surrounding villages.

There are now reports of dead Russian peacekeepers. This is getting more serious by the minute.

Now it is looking more and more likely that Russia is ready to intervene on a limited basis to protect Russian civilians in prevent mass slaughter in South Ossetia.

Military gear entering Ossetia from Russia-Tbilisi

So far no official deployment of any Russian units, but there is large amounts of military equipment being sent from Russia to South Ossetia. Large numbers of well armed volunteers from North Ossetia are also crossing the border.

One thing is for sure - Georgia has sparked the war, and this will not end quickly. Both sides are in for a very rough ride. If Russia intervenes, which many in the region believe it should (South Ossetia officially appealed for help), then Saakashvilli's regime are as good as gone.

It seems to me that Georgia failed in its innitial strategy to quickly occupy the capital of South Ossetia, despite a massive surprise attack. I predict that if Georgia does not occupy Tskhinvalli and the entire republic within the coming day or two, it cannot win the war and its troops will be slaughtered by guerilla fighters who now number in tens of thousands.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
keep us updated,i cant believe this isn't getting more news coverage...i hope the violence ends quickly. and things dont escalate.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Lethil]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Breaking..

Russian television is reporting that Russian troops are now entering South Ossetia.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Ohh dear.
And there was me, wondering if anything was actually going to happen today.

Start of WW3 anyone?
I bloody well hope not.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Canadians are seeing the developing story on the front page of their two main newspapers this morning.

Russia, Georgia invade South Ossetia

Fighting rages in South Ossetia

The seriousness cannot be underscored since the region has been the fuse for conflict before.

What is the Western European news sites carrying for headlines today? today?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Things must be getting bad-it just got a 30 second blurb on Fox News.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It may already be posted but it's getting attention now. MSNBC:

Russia Troops move in...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately it is yet again another display of U.S. 'secret' support in trying to disrupt the world. I love my country but I do abhore many of the things the 'secret' intelligence agencies and pentagon do to create imbalance throughout the world.

This may be a way to recoup the losses that will occur in the arms industry if/when we pull out of Iraq. Then again, Gates is asking to double the forces in Afghanistan to help out with that. At least they will still make their money.

My prayers are with those that will be entrenched in this bloody battle. I seem to remember this region being in conflict before when I was younger. Very sad day.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Of course I missed this post. Pretty much the same link I submitted. This will escalate fast but quickly become a blood bath. It seems they timed it perfectly to coincide with the games in order to avoid too much attention at the onset.

I hate unnecessary wars. This seems to me to be like another Rwandha.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
First of all - thanks maloy for this informative thread - I am posting all morning in the breaking news section about this issue, because it's a very important situation but nobody cared to post even one headline.

Since YESTERDAY it's all over the Russian news, i saw an article in the Pravda labeled "War in Georgia starts" - after that I wanted to submit it on ATS but choose first to look on Reuters, AP etc. - NO coverage - I thought, okay, maybe this is just propaganda and finally i didn't submit the headline.

I am posting this, because maybe I am not the only one thinking like that. We have to slow down our skepticism to foreign news sites -- this is (still) something even most of the ATS'lers don't do. "It's not on Reuters, so it's a lie" - sounds familiar?

About the topic - my avatar on the left shows my position. As maloy already said, when war breaks out in this region there is no going back. Personally I see only one way out: Independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia after Russian military forces bring down Georgia -- any other result would not stabilize the region.

-/

[edit on 8/8/08 by absente]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
UPDATE:

Russian jets bomb Georgian airbase: Tbilisi

TBILISI (Reuters) - Russian jets bombed the Vaziani military airbase outside the Georgian capital Tbilisi on Friday, a senior Georgian security official told Reuters.

"No one was wounded but some buildings have been destroyed," said Kakha Lamaia. The airbase is some 25 kilometers (15 miles) from Tbilisi.

"They have declared war against us," said Lamaia.

(Reporting by Matt Robinson, editing by Tim Pearce)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
georgian president was just live on cnn asking for US intervention. Also reporting 2 russian jets just shot down.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
georgian president was just live on cnn asking for US intervention. Also reporting 2 russian jets just shot down.

US intervention? With this sentence ... I have a bad feeling about this. Hopefully this is not the beginning of something really big.

from CNN:

"All day today they've been bombing Georgia from numerous warplanes and specifically targeting (the) civilian population, and we have scores of wounded and dead among (the) civilian population all around the country," Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN in an exclusive interview.

Does anyone believe this? (the bold part)

Asked whether Georgia and Russia were now at war, he said, "My country is in self-defense against Russian aggression. Russian troops invaded Georgia."

Make the connection - 2 and 2 is? Yes, now it's not about S. Ossetia, now it's just about Russia. Do you guy's get the big picture? CNN of course is not mentioning the background of the attack ---/

source

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It is a good thing Russia had armored vehicles and paratroopers near the border. Just in case, of course. Kind of reminds me of Finland's "aggression" against USSR in Winter war and its response with forces it had near the border, just in case.
Georgia acted not wise by letting itself be dragged into this, but Russia tried just as hard to make this little war a reality. Putin - war in Chechnya, Medvedev - war in Georgia. Support of general public is guaranteed.
Tight time schedule though, how about winter Olympics near by?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Interestingly enough, last year I actually predicted Russia would invade Georgia. I ended up backing off of that prediction, but wow. This is just breathtaking.

From a military analysis standpoint, I wonder what condition the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation is really in as far as readiness. Are we going to see the disorganized and dysfunctional remanants of the Red Army of the First Chechen War, or are we going to see a new Russian military?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Russian Tanks just entered Georgia. WAR has begun....

[edit on 8-8-2008 by emergencyresponseteam]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
NATO considering actions against Russia since Georgia is a tight member of the NATO and partner for Peacemembership.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, at least it is now being covered by the MSM and our nations opinion can be decided for us. :down:

Everyone should do themselves a favor and read up on the history of the area. Learn what appears to actually be happening...not what FOX or CNN tells you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join