It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

The Tulsa World (I don't read it anymore) had an article Sunday about the best economic areas of the country for the first quarter of this year. OK City was #2 and Tulsa was #9. We are in a bubble around Oklahoma. There is commercial construction all over my area. I think by fall its going to be really bad around the USA. 10% unemployment will actually be 20% or higher.

How about that "Change"???????

[edit on 26-6-2009 by on_yur_6]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

Definitely scary my friend. However after Oklahoma crapped out in the 80's we've come back with a bit more sustainable industry. I think we are in better shape to weather this crisis than most other states. Now if we could just get that damn spending under control....
:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Whats happenin Okie's...

Been away a while, busy as hell...not cause I don't love ya!

I think Oklahoma will lead the way on any path that presents itself, i.e. economic, production, sovereignty etc. I know I will still be standing even if everything else falls...

and I've got a handful of good friends that'll be there with me...ALL OKIE'S

so for now...good seein ya'll...do what you do...an GO POKES

[edit on 1-8-2009 by daddymax]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Daddymax? Just noticed my oversight in not sharing the brulo recipe as promised. I got this from a book entitled Manna Foods of the Frontier.

LE BRULO:

This Cajun drink was taken after the entire meal was finished and the table was cleared. It was a common practice to extinguish all lamps and set alight Le Brulo! Of course, every Monsieur in Louisiana had a favorite recipe.

Cut a large, thick-skinned orange in half crosswise. Remove all the pulp and put 2 lumps of sugar in each orange half. Fill each with brandy and set alight. After a few minutes, pour the brandy into a glass (or drink from the orange half).

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Just thought I would drop in to let all my fellow Okies know that the Knotty Pine restaurant has given up the ghost .

Went by there the other day and the whole building had been razed . Hadn't been over that way in a couple years so , it surprised me to see the only thing left standing was the walk-in cooler .

Made me just a bit sad , thinking back on all the catfish , BBQ , and cold beer I used to enjoy there when I lived in T-town .

Jamill's has also been re-located due to the highway construction .

Pokes just lost to Nebraska but , the REAL Oklahoma team will make us proud here shortly .

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here is another okie
eastern Oklahoma. We should have an Oklahoma ATS convention meeting.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I lived in Oklahoma for two years. I want to go back.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

Welcome kidcudi. Was moving this week so haven't been online in a while. Sorry to be so late with the welcome wagon but Okie hospitality isn't completely dead. Pull up a chair and help yourself to a cold one. Personally, with the cold weather, I prefer a hot buttered rum but each to their own.

Sorry to hear about the restaurant closing. Lots of places closing and several blew away in the tornados. I had a new voting place this year because the church they used to be done in is a twisted pile of metal now. Oklahoma was sort of recession proof for a while so lots of people moved here for the economy and now we're out of jobs and suffering too.

Would enjoy another Okie meet-up. It's been too long since we got together. Fall festivals abound this time of year so maybe we could meet up at one of them. What say ye?

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hope all my fellow Okies are stirred, not shaken but the recent swarm of earthquakes.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It's been a while since I've met with any ATS okies. I know that there's lots of new ones and some original ones that have moved on. Would like to hear from my neighbors and see what all's been going on with this fine bunch of folks. Feel free to introduce yourself or, if you're returning, to catch us up on how and what you're doing.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I don't live in Oklahoma. But my family is from there. My grandad and grandmother grew up there in the panhandle. The family had settled it and claimed their quarter section. One small town is shares my name.

I lived on Sptiz St in Midwest city from age 3 until I was 5, then moved here to West Texas. My old house was leveled in a tornado a few years ago (as was most of Midwest city).

I love my Sooners. Although, no so happy about this season.

My Sooner avatar that I made:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Love the avatar, BFFT!
I remember that MWC tornado. Had a friend that I couldn't get hold of for a few days and was pretty worried until I heard from her. House next to her blew away, skipped her house and hit the house on the other side of her. Not as bad a tornado as the one that hit Moore this year. That one took the grass and trees right out of the ground. I drive by on occasion (I-35) and am amazed by how much rebuilding has taken place. Okies are an industrious lot.

I used to live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Never did get used to the traffic. Too many people for my comfort level. I like the peace and quiet of the country. City's too noisy for me. Too much drama going on.

Do you get to visit your folks much?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

No, family circumstances make it where life is just easier if i keep on my own. I tell my son often that it all starts with he and I. Our name is what we make of it, because it wasn't worth a damn when I got it.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Understood. We don't get to choose our family and sometimes you just have to distance yourself from people who aren't healthy for you. Takes courage to start over with a limited support system. I trust you're doing well now? Don't let memories spoil you against the whole state. Plenty of fine people here.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I love OK. I don't carry grudges. And I am having a fantastic life. Not many folks can say that they were loved by a spouse like my wife and I.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Kudos to you and your wife!
Been going around different areas in the state while out foraging. Lots of goodies to be picked from the side of the roads and in the fields here. Anyone else notice any little pockets of wonderful while out and about?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Add my name to the list!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The reason I love Oklahoma is because we are not one thing. We are a crossroads demographically and culturally. Yet we are the underdog because not many people truly know anything about Oklahoma. There are false stereotypes and fallacies all over the place. We are the greatest part of the. U.S. if you ask me. It's so much more diverse here than anyone could imagine. And despite your politics or religion, Oklahoma has the nic.est people on the face of the planet
edit on 1/1/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Welcome ItCameFromOuterSpace!

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. We like to keep our awesomeness a secret and stay a 'fly-over" zone.
I go foraging a lot and as dusty and weedy-looking as Oklahoma is, it's one of the most biodiverse states in the union.
We've got desert plants growing next to tropical plants (right on my street as a matter of fact). There's not a lot in the way of popular entertainment unless you like impromptu tail-gate parties but fortunately, most of us do.

I don't see the racism here that was so obvious in the Northern states I visited (Michigan, D.C., etc.). Lots of different ethnic groups and everyone seems to be getting along fairly well.

What part of the state do you live in? Don't need to know the name of the town, just a general North, South, East, or West will do.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Just stumbled across this thread. I'm not living there now but was born and raised in SW OK and still have family there. It is a great state. Our old family farm was taken to create lake Tom Steed to give a general idea of where I'm from. In southeast Texas now. Hope everyone keeps the thread going. Its amazing to me how many Okies are actually on ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join