It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Went to the Medieval Faire today. Saw a few people I know. Little windy but at least it wasn't raining. It's more fun going without kids so tomorrow I'm going without them.

Didn't see anyone from the boards there but the kids emptied my pocketbook pretty quickly so I didn't stay too long.

Where's that recipe, DM? :w: I'll swap you the gluewein recipe for a brule' recipe. It's a drink that you set on fire. It doesn't get any more entertaining than flaming happy hour.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Does anyone know - or know of - a hunter/trapper in the Tulsa area or West of Tulsa? Like maybe somebody who hunts with dogs?

I am sick and tired of losing my chickens and ducks. Even the HUGE outside dog has not stopped it. I'm pretty sure it's bobcats because the birds disappear during the daytime and I've seen one bobcat, but I can't figure out how to trap or poison the bobcat(s) without putting the dog and the birds at risk of being poisoned or trapped.

I'm down to 13 chickens out of more than 50 and I'm at my wit's end. Any help would be appreciated. (And no, I can't pen up the chickens - the whole point is to have free-range chickens.)

The good news is I finally got a reliable vehicle that doesn't guzzle gas like a wino guzzles Strawberry Hill. When's the next meeting?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Sorry to hear about your chickens, Heike. I don't know any hunters in your area. You might check with Onyour6. If he hunts hogs, he might be willing to hunt bobcats.

Good deal on getting truck in shape. Now you won't have to ride your horse to the next get-together.

If winter ever decides to be over this "springtime" we might could plan on meeting up somewhere. Actually had to make a fire in the fireplace today. Brrrrrr!

Did you have any particular place in mind?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Heike...is it the chupacabras? I hear they are pesky. Surely you can find a 'neck locally who'll sit out back for the weekend for a case of beer.

Brule' huh? Sounds interesting. Like a flaming Dr. Pepper...mmmmmm!

Allrighty then...Gluehwein goes as follows:

in a sauce pan-
2 cups water
FRESH ginger (I grate mine) a thumb size piece should be fine
1 stick cinnamon
6 or 7 cloves
orange/lemmon zest(I don't usually put this in)
1/2 cup sugar

boil to a good simple syrup

add a standard bottle of your favorite red wine
I recommend a sweet red/concord

bring to a boil...strain...serve

Gluehwein is served hot...PERFECT for cold days, holidays, etc. 2 or 3 cups makes whatever the ailment be a bit more acceptable. Ask MB if it is worth the 20 minutes to make it. He was not there whilst I was batching up- the SMELL is FANTASTIC!!! The taste is even BETTER!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
My next venture is going to be a honey Mead...

If I prove to be successful, I will not only provide the recipe, but I will batch some up for the next get together. I will most likely batch up some Gluehwein for you folks if you are interested.

Heike...I hear there is a GOOD German restaurant in Tulsa by the name of Margaret's. MB and I are going to get down there to try it out. Now that you are more-so mobile, you ought to give it a try...

So WW, did you see that annoying #ing band from the free credit report dotcom commercials there...:bnghd:

I have not been to one of those things in years...I'll try to catch one later this year maybe.

Any more thoughts on an ATS Okie picnic? I'm down, and there are some seriously badass parks in this beautiful state! Thoughts anyone...?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

That wouldn't be me. I don't have any dogs that hunt, just dig holes. I swear my Lab is part termite. She will chew a piece of firewood down to nothing. I can't believe it hasn't killed her yet. She will wipe out a rawhide in record time.

You may have some coyotes eating your chickens. Once they find them they'll keep coming back. Go to OKshooters.com and post in the forum for some help. I'm sure there are many their that would want to eliminate those nasty varmits.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a hog hunt down in Texas. I just have to convince my work to let me off! MMMMMMM

If I go I'll post some pics for you Okies.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddymax
My next venture is going to be a honey Mead.

Let me know if you need a recipe or 2 for Mead. Thanks for the gluewein recipe. What luck! I just happen to have a bottle of wine handy. (I was a girl scout-always prepared).

If I prove to be successful, I will not only provide the recipe, but I will batch some up for the next get together. I will most likely batch up some Gluehwein for you folks if you are interested.

Hells yea! Bring it on! You need any bottles?

So WW, did you see that annoying *snip* band from the free credit report dotcom commercials there...:bnghd:

Fortunately I missed that cultural masterpiece. That...or the little darlings hanging from my cape whining "give me, get me, take me, buy me" were drowning out any other annoying sounds.

Any more thoughts on an ATS Okie picnic? I'm down, and there are some seriously badass parks in this beautiful state! Thoughts anyone...?

I am so ready for a day out, some good food, good company and too much home brew. There are lots of good parks. I'm reluctant to pick one since I'm the long-distance one here. Get me a google map and a time/day and I'll be there.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It's not coyotes. I have an outside dog who's 1/2 Anatolian Shepherd and 1/2 Great Pyrenees. He is not yet a year old and surely weighs over 100 lbs. I am tall (5'11') and I do not have to bend at all to put my hand on top of his head. He hates coyotes; they haven't come near the place since he got old enough to chase them instead of just barking at them. But anyway I'll try okshooters.com, thanks for the tip.

How about Lake Keystone? It's more or less centrally located and there are plenty of lovely camping/fishing/picnicking/bbqing/swimming spots.

Yes, Margaret's is very good, as Margaret herself is actually German. I'd LOVE to have an excuse to go there again.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Sorry folks, I've been scarce lately...had some troubling family issues. As far as DM wine, yea, I dig it. And a half :w:

Picnic I'm down for... Lemme know when and where.. cause damn I need some time out of the house

I get down there and start drinkin with you folks, well first you'll see how an Scot/Irish/Indian/Dutchman puts it away... (I believe I was genetically designed to be the perfect drinking machine) and then I shall be camping. I don't drive after drinking, and I'm always down for an excuse to sleep with mother nature. Wait, that didn't come out right... oh well.

Never had mead, but bring it...I'll try anything once...as for me, I'll bring the store bought Gentleman's Jack, or the Crown Reserve. I have a feeling the night will end with a

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Welcome back, MB. Sorry to hear about your family issues. Hope all is well now. Sounds like you need a break and a chance to recharge your batteries.

I tried DM's recipe last night and it is delicious! Wasn't sure what concord wine was so I went to the package store and it turns out that it's MadDog20/20.

I'm not much for the "party til ya puke" scene but a picnic and some home brew sounds like fun. What about Heike's idea of Lake Keystone? That allright with everyone? Heike seems to be the booked solid one so she can throw out some availability times.

Weather is finally starting to stabilize into some reasonable resemblance of spring so let's get together before the soul-sucking heat kicks in.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Happy Easter Okies. I hope everyone has a good day. Just pulled a ham and turkey off my smoker for the crowd coming here tomorrow.

I might be interested in a get together/party at Keystone. Anything to get me out of the house. Being able to drink and crash in the tent is always a good thing. I'm new on the Okie board but would like to meet everyone.

posted on Apr, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Lets see what you guys and gals look like out there. Here is a pic of my ugly mug with my wife earlier this year.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Wasn't sure what concord wine was so I went to the package store and it turns out that it's MadDog20/20.

Holy # I laughed...! Anyways, concord is a grape...sweet red grape wine is the key. I think Stone Hill Concord red sweet is the one I prefer. Of course Berringers makes a fine red sweet!

I'm glad you liked it WW...I made another batch for a buddy I know...I think I am going to set up a tent/stand at Mayfest most likely...Octoberfest possibly. That would be groovy!

So...to closer events, did I hear picnic, anyone? The weather is kind of stabilizing...whats a good local? Do we wanna hit a park? Do we wanna hit a campground? Do we wanna hit a lake? I don't know about anything pricey...poor white boy here!

A zoo?

A tavern?

A city...he he. Could you imagine an ATS wide decention onto a small Oklahoma town...

HEADLINE READS:

Sorry Prue: The PTB said it had to be

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daddymax

Lake Keystone is fine with me. Any ideas on a time/date?

Sorry, OnYourSix, no pictures from me. I am soooo NOT photogenic. Sometimes I scare myself. Wake up in the morning, stumble into the bathroom, splash some water on my face and then look in the mirror....look like a recent birth of Sigourney Weaver's "alien".

Anywho.....if we're gonna have a picnic we need to coordinate who brings what. DM can bring the beverages as he's so generously offered. I'll bring the fried chicken. Heike, how about some German potato salad? MB, I'd say "surprise us" but I'm afraid you might actually do it. Let us know what you can bring. OYS, what's your speciality in the food department?

Does anybody know if we have to have a permit to set up tent( s ) at Lake Keystone? Are permits needed? Are cooking/camp fires allowed?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
WW, as if I'm photogenic! :shk: Come on post a pic for us all. I haven't been to Keystone in many moons.

Well happy tax day Sooners. Bend over and enjoy! I paid through the nose all year and still owe more. :bnghd:

Any of you in favor of the FairTax or FlatTax?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well, hello there, neighbors! Oklahoma City here.

I'm a DJ/Producer/Remix Artist by occupation, playing at various venues throughout Oklahoma City. If you hit any of the dance clubs or nightlife hot spots in OKC, chances are you've seen me around.

To put a face to an alias:

and, me and my heart

[edit on 17-4-2009 by LOBO]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Welcome, LOBO. Glad you could make it over to the Okie patch of BTS.

Do you work most weekends? (Since that's when we usually get together)
We're semi-planning another get together (haven't heard responses back yet on date/time) and would like to see you there if you can make it.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

The weekends are when I work the "hardest", for sure. Tonight's a good example; I've got a regular club gig at Cafe Nova off Western from 10-2, then a house party immediately afterwards from 2-whenever-everyone-decides-to-leave.

Find me on
MySpace. I post bulletins regarding my schedule and keep my schedule pretty well maintained.

*grins*

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
DEAR GOD! HEIKE'S BEEN BANNED!

146119 Heike Banned Northeast Oklahoma, USA

I have no idea what happened and it's none of my business but would really like to send condolences and send her a bottle of sympathy suds.

Anyone know how to get hold of her?

You will be missed my friend.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Welcome Lobo. Are any of you Okies keeping an eye out for this new swine flu mix? I just read an article online saying that there are two cases in Kansas now. So far it has been pretty tame in the USA and I hope it stays that way. Once it gets into the schools it could be bad. Those places are the worst for spreading illnesses. They need to spray the kids with Lysol on the way in and out. My kids are always bringing something home to share with us and it isn't schoolwork! :shk:

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join