It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Hi TXTriker and welcome! There are quite a few other Okies on ATS that I haven't mentioned and that haven't dropped by. I'm not dropping names anymore. I figure if people wanna show up they will. I've personally met with several Okies that are on ATS. Have become good friends with a few.

It's not surprising that there's so many Okies on ATS. The whole state just seems to be the type of place that would be interested in an ATS type environment. You're always welcome to pop in and tell us about your travels. Hope your family was well compensated for the lake property.

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

It's gorgeous back that way. I live on the east side of the WMWF, driven back through it and towards Tom Steed, love that country.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Compensation? - not that I recall but it was a long time ago. I remember they had to go to court to give me "age of majority" so I could sign the papers. I think I was 16. Our grandparents died without a will and then my dad did too so the estate was quite complicated. It is a beautiful place and I'm quite proud of growing up there.

I have two brothers still living in the area so we visit every so often - not nearly as much as I would like though.

I will make this thread on of my regulars to keep up with all. Will advise next time we are headed up that way to see if a meet up would be feasible.
edit on 3/23/2014 by TXTriker because: grammar

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I always loved going to the refuge. When we were little my mom would take us to various lakes in the summer and we always had to go to the top of Mount Scott.

Supposed to be hidden treasure there if you are into that sort of thing.

I hadn't mentioned it earlier but we grew up in a little town called Mountain Park (formerly Glenwood). Claim to fame was fabulous 4th of July celebrations years ago. They had a gorgeous town park and the celebration lasted 3 days.
edit on 3/23/2014 by TXTriker because: because I'm bad at proof reading

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Kind of a heavy load to put on a 16 year old.
Looking forward to a meet-up next time you get a chance to roll back through town.

I have my favorite areas of Oklahoma that I like to visit from time to time. Camping and such. I hear people from other states comment on what an "ugly" state Oklahoma is and how there's nothing to do. It's a beautiful state if you know where to look and the things that are fun to do here usually require that you turn off your cell phone. LOL.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Not really - it was just to make me legal to sign the sale papers. That was all. My sister and I were the only ones underage I think. Strictly a legal thing.

Hope to get up there soon. Things have been a little tough for my husband and I the last few years. We are both working again so hope to get back on our feet soon. Just so much backlog to take care of now. We will get it all straightened out though. We're tough.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

TXTriker

Hope to get up there soon. Things have been a little tough for my husband and I the last few years. We are both working again so hope to get back on our feet soon. Just so much backlog to take care of now. We will get it all straightened out though. We're tough.

Of course you're tough; you're an Okie.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

Are you OK with the weather up there? Some pretty nasty storms rolling around.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

Got some wind but no tornados in my area. Thanks for asking. 😊

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Welp you can add me to the list..

I am a transplant but after 10 years and making plans to retire in Oklahoma I claim being an okie.

The weather sucks... but the people are some of the best I have ever come across bar none.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Welcome! Hope you had a happy 4th and still have all your fingers and toes.

Where'd you transplant from and what made you choose Oklahoma for a retirement spot?
Oh, and welcome to ATS!

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Another Okie here. I grew up in Ohio, went to college and lived in Mississippi for nine years, then finally found home here in the Sooner state. Lived in Poteau for a time, now I'm in Owasso, and don't plan to leave the Tulsa metro area for a while. Oklahoma is great place to live a raise a family.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RidgeWalker
Hello RidgeWalker. Glad you found your way to our fine state. Owasso's a nice area.
There are a LOT of Okies on ATS. Most of them choose to keep that info to themselves. That's alright; the door's always open here.
I have a strange ATS-worthy story that happened in Owasso but I won't be sharing it on the board. If you're interested in hearing it, message me.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: whitewave

Born and raised in Florida, the USAF brought me to the middle of the country...

While yes the weather sucks more days than not, and parts of the state are positively barren and ugly (there are some gorgeous areas to) the people are why I want to stay.

The response to the Moore Tornadoes last year, this year with the Tornadoes in Arkansas, that next morning on the way to work I heard on the radio a semi loaded with supplies was leaving OKC for those towns that were hit, that drop what your doing and help your neighbor attitude that used to be so Common in the US... this is the first place I have lived where it still is the rule instead of the exception.

Oh and its affordable..

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Glad you were able to escape Florida. 😃 I lived in Orlando and St. Augustine and Key West for a while. They all had their good points but the humidity was soooooo stifling as to eventually prove intolerable. Besides, there's no place like home so I came back. Always glad to see people come here from other places and actually appreciate Oklahoma. I hear so many transplants (mainly Californians) griping about our state. Actually took up a collection for a waitress who was loudly complaining while serving the customers. My fellow Okie restaurant patrons were annoyed enough with her that we all chipped in to get her a bus ticket back to California.

RidgeWalker and Irishaf, Oklahoma IS a great place to raise a family. We're glad you're both here.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Just checking to make sure all of you are OK.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The Ark is coming along nicely. Just hope I don't actually need it. Have had to bug out once due to tornados touching down in the vicinity. Flooding is almost biblical in scope. I understand that parts of Texas have it even worse and have had to evacuate some areas?

Think we'll have a BBQ later on so that when that big earthquake comes, at least we'll all die happy and well fed.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
How is everyone holding out? I heard there's some flooding and also some really nasty weather coming your way. Stay safe.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: whitewave

The Ark is coming along nicely. Just hope I don't actually need it. Have had to bug out once due to tornados touching down in the vicinity. Flooding is almost biblical in scope. I understand that parts of Texas have it even worse and have had to evacuate some areas?

Think we'll have a BBQ later on so that when that big earthquake comes, at least we'll all die happy and well fed.

We are very wet with flooding all around us but we are not in danger of flooding. The areas closest to the rivers have been evacuated. The Brazos (closest to me) is at 49 feet today. We went to check it out yesterday - very awesome and powerful. My brother told me that the red river in sw OK is at least a half mile wide.

Stay dry and safe everyone.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Lot of construction going on to repair all the flooding damage. Bridges collapsed, entire sections of asphalt road just dropped out of sight. Lots of flood damage to homes along with roof damage. Fema came through and asked everyone about their damage then did their usual nothing about it.

Don't know how many of my fellow Okies check out the events that Oklahoma offers but I went to Tahlequah last weekend for the annual Cherokee festival. It was great! Going on a forage walk/workshop Saturday with our local treasure, Jackie Dill (native forager and wildcrafter). And of course the county fair starts tomorrow in Norman and the Zoo Brew later this month. Hope to see some of yall out and about.

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join