It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama does not give birthday presents to children

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Because he's a politician.

Politics should not involve religion. Ever.

Christmas is not a pagan holiday

Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ.

Not the day after Santa flies all over the world delivering presents.

The IDEA of Christmas was never to celebrate by giving each other presents, it was to be together at Christmas.

Since it is the birthday of Jesus Christ, why would you give presents to OTHER PEOPLE?

Did your parents give your friends presents on your birthday?...instead of you?

Your gift to Jesus on Christmas day is the gift of Love.

Waiting in line for 3 days for a tickle me elmo doll is not what Christmas is about.

Barack Obama believes this.

So do I

[edit on 7/30/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Giving Christmas presents is a Christian thing and has been for hundreds of years.

LOLOLOLOL

Christmas is not Christian in origin anyway...when you celebrate Christmas, you are actually celebrating a old Pagan holiday.

Along with other "christian" holidays, ever wonder what easter eggs are really about?

Few people realize that the origins of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ.

Why do we celebrate christs birthday as christmas?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by amazed]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My father-law-is a Baptist preacher. No one in his family celebrates Christmas in any way.

No presents, no Christmas tree, no roast beast--nothing. Apparently there's some passage in the Bible that says not to place any one day as more important than others. He also says (correctly) that Christmas trees and the exchange of gifts are directly tied to ancient Pagan holidays, so he feels he shouldn't participate in Pagan traditions. He has the same opinion regarding Easter.

So is my father-in-law, the Baptist preacher, not a Christian?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

Question, not to you Theory but to All Obama supporters who claim he is a practicing Christian. How can he be? if he claims to believe in God but believes there are many ways to get to heaven. " I believe that there are many paths to the same place." A true Christian knows the only way to the Father is through the Son. John 14:6,7 " I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well." He also believes there is no hell. "he doesn't know if he is going to Heaven, nor does he believe he or anyone will go to Hell." Again a believer knows, those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior will perish in the lake of fire. Therefore Obama is not a Christian. As stated above he denies Christ. Not one time has he ever mentioned the name Jesus Christ as part of his belief system. This proves that once again Obama lied.(source)dontvoteobama.net...

[edit on 30-7-2008 by paxnatus]

[edit on 30-7-2008 by paxnatus]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I think the point is,regardless of the holiday's origin (Christmas being celebrated on the 25th of December) it is a Christian holiday.
How this holiday is celebrated, as well as birthdays, are an individual choice. A large number, if not the majority of people ,IMHO, celebrate
both the secular and religious aspects of the holdiday of Christmas.
Just because you recieve presents on Christmas (as I did) doesn't mean the religious aspects are not the top priority. The same goes for birthdays.
Presents were, and are, part of these celebrations for me, and my family, by not the main focus. To say however, in defense of Senator Obama's practices, that giving gifts is nothing but materialism, blah,blah,blah...is such nonsense.

This is an issue, because he is out of step in this practice, with MOST of America. Yes, he is diffferent. Depending on your POV this is a good thing or a bad thing. Just don't try and hide the fact that this is different, or make some lame excuse. Maybe his goal is to discourage materialism, but the way he chooses (denying presents on these days) is not the only way, nor necessarily a good way, IMO, to do this.

So there is an issue here, in the sense that, we elect both the policies, and the person, when we elect a President.

So to say that gift giving is soley materialistic, and vapid, when in fact, many of the same people making these comments in defense, are themselves avid consumers, is really not a solid argument.

So chill out...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I see this as a non-issue.

In reality giving gifts any time is fine by me, however the spirit of giving should be intact.

He could give them the gift of quality time during those special days, or give them parties to enjoy with their friends creating good memories rather than material items, etc.

When push comes to shove, I don't think it's wrong to set expectations for children, expect them to work hard (be it a job, sports, learning), or choosing how when and what to give them as gifts.

Nothing in this article really gets deeply into the actual working of him as a father, and we aren't there, so it's open to the widest of interpretations based on partisanship, so it should become a non-issue.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Did anyone actually read the article?

It says they get gifts from "Santa" at Christmas...

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Obama can show love to his children in other ways other than by giving them Christmas or Birthday presents.

He shows his Patrotism to America in other ways too. He doesn't need to wear a Flag pin (though he does now after scrutiny). He doesn't need to honor the Flag or visit wounded soldiers. Never mind mentioning America while speaking in Germany about New World Order and campaigning there for President here in the states.

Regardless of his actions, we just have to believe in him and the change he would bring.

Aaaah, that Kool-aid sure is refreshing isn't it?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Which AGAIN has what to do with the topic.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
if the is the best the right can come up with now well then I feel very sorry for you all

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
WhatTheory-
I enjoy politics as much as you do.

But this is not politics.
This is not a conspiracy.

Poor people don't buy presents. Does that make all poor people commies?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
if the is the best the right can come up with now well then I feel very sorry for you all

Well, it's a good thing that it's not.

This is only a small piece of the puzzle. Hell, just go read the tons of other threads which show Obama's dubious nature and his misrepresentations, lies and some plain ignorance.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
Poor people don't buy presents. Does that make all poor people commies?

How is this relevant? Is Obama poor?

I think it's just another piece of the puzzle which shows he is NOT a Catholic like he claims. That is all.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I do not grasp what this has to do with the man's political abilities. To me, a non american, it's like Clinton getting it off with Monica. A load of nonsense. Who cares ?
Maybe if america started paying less attention to candidates private lives, and spent more in political reflection, you might not have elected "Dubya".
A very respectable family man, who gives his kids birthday presents, but who during his mandates has declared war upon half of the world, including the american people.
Obama doesn't give his kids presents ?
NOBODY CARES ! On the other hand, will he invade Iran ? (= lots of people dying= important.... unlike birthdays...).

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ismail
I do not grasp what this has to do with the man's political abilities.

Being President has more to do with political abilities. Character is a very important factor. Again, this is a small piece of the puzzle. All these small little issues keep adding up to one huge mistake.

BTW, his political views are also dangerous.

[edit on 30-7-2008 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I think it's just another piece of the puzzle which shows he is NOT a Catholic like he claims. That is all.

I'm catholic. I don't remember where I was told I have to give presents?
I'll ask for you at next mass.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Good god, no! No birthday presents? Well, looks like my vote's going to McCain now! Whatever.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

He's Catholic? I thought he was United. Isn't that Protestant? Like every other president with the exception of JFK?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, muslims don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas, so why would Obama et al give / recieve birthday presents?

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

YOU consider his ideas dangerous. Well, on the other hand, so do I, but probably not for the same reasons. Too right wing for me...
You see everything is relative.
Exept the importance of celebrating birthdays. Which in the grand scale of things, is not.
Hitler celebrated birthdays. Had he not, i'm sure the german people would have smelt something fishy and not voted for him... Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggghtttt !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join