It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Here are the current contenders and their place in the rankings..

TruthWithin....14
chissler....8
nyk537....4
souls....3
maria_stardust...2
whatukno.....2
bodrul....2
Andrew E. Wiggin...2
LDragonFire....1
Ian McLean...0
jasonjnelson...0
GUNSINWAR....0
Cadbury...0
LestatG....0
AshleyD...maybe...0
emsed1.....0
ThreeDeuc...0
constantwonder...0
BSG75....0

We have about nineteen (there is a maybe) contenders.

I would like to remind everyone that this is a 'long-term' investment of your time. A debate typically can last just under a week and if you win than you can expect more rounds and more time.

I highly suggest that each contender considers this as forfeited fights are largely due to the inability of past Fighters to adhere to the time requirements.

That said...I am really digging the new blood we have here and many of you, based on my perusal of your ATS contributions are under rated, as it were.

Also, remember that the list of Fighters is experience based, so if higher ranked Fighters sign up, then a couple of you may lose your spot.

A great reason to start Challenge Matches....there are only two weeks left...

Don't forget to research ongoing and past debates to familiarize yourself with the rules and the process...

[edit on 31-7-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Don't forget to research ongoing and past debates to familiarize yourself with the rules and the process...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but with regard to the rules of the debate, two questions. First, are the rules/conventions for quoting external sources, eg, requirements for sourcing/links, especially the 10-sentences-per-post maximum, etc., spelled out anywhere, or is that simply evolved tradition? Also, I've heard the judges, in their remarks, once or twice refer to 'criteria' they're given for judging the debate; is that specified anywhere, or does it vary from debate to debate or is it a private judges-only thing?

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Perhaps a little off-topic, but with regard to the rules of the debate, two questions. First, are the rules/conventions for quoting external sources, eg, requirements for sourcing/links, especially the 10-sentences-per-post maximum, etc., spelled out anywhere, or is that simply evolved tradition?

Evolved tradition. This is a rule that is more stringent in a tournament setting. The whole point of the debate process here is to encourage organized discussion on a topic. With Challenge Matches, the rule are a bit less stringent...

With regards to emsed1's 'double post'...in a tournament, the second post would have been deleted, regardless of the challengers acceptance..in this case, yours.

I find it better to allow a bit of lee way in the regards of Challenge Matches because the whole point of the Debate Forum is the interchange between Fighters.

Also, I've heard the judges, in their remarks, once or twice refer to 'criteria' they're given for judging the debate; is that specified anywhere, or does it vary from debate to debate or is it a private judges-only thing?

That is not specified anywhere. The 'criteria' they are referring to is based on my recommendations for the judging of a debate. In many cases, the debate topic is skewed in such a way that the topic gets judged on who proves their position.

Since many topics can be subjective in that regard, I found it necessary to allow for judgment to center (not solely) on the Fighters ability to argue their opponent.

That is all I can say about the judgment process. I require multiple judges per debate for fairness. I also stipulate...when asked, that the judges take into consideration more than the 'proving' of a debate topic.

I hope this answers your question, because I simply cannot give, in all fairness, any more than that.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oh! Let me make clear, my questions had nothing to do with my current ongoing debate. The 10-sentence rule questions was actually something I was looking for in my previous debate with semper, where one source I wanted to quote spoke in "Short sentences. Like this. All separate. Using up all my sentences. Just to make one point. Important to my case, though."

Thanks for the clarifications! I would recommend that, during the tournament, any 'more stringent' rules are specified explicitly, especially given the number of new fighters on the list!

Myself, I find it sort of fun to structure my arguments into the rather stilted and constrained format of a formal debate; counting my sentences, numbering my sources, verifying my links, etc., has become sort of a post-composition pre-posting tradition. I'm only a stickler with regard to the rules, as they apply to myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

I would recommend that, during the tournament, any 'more stringent' rules are specified explicitly, especially given the number of new fighters on the list

Already allotted for and thought about...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
OK....

I'm Back!!!!

and

I'm In....

Let the fun begin!!!!!

Semper

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Wow! Am I too late?
Please to put me on the list, yes yes.

Also to figure out the rules, I look for another neophyte for challenge matches, if anybody wants.
Also I don't believe in attachment in philosophical argument, so I will eagerly take either position that is left laying around, vegan or cannibal, I do not care.

Alrighty then thanks cool.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Im in

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would like to participate. but. I do have the time and the will.

I am, well I must admit I am quite scared or such, for which I have never truly done this before, I wish that if someone could take me under and teach me some things, I can catch on quickly, it would be great to have the contribution and experience from this.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'd like to sign up but I need to know when the debates will commence. I assume mid-August begins after august 16? If not, I'll unfortunately have to decline since I will be on vacation.

Edit:

I reviewed the comments and it seems the debates will begin on Aug. 18 - so count me in!

Anybody up for a beginner debate?

[edit on 1-8-2008 by SteveAndrew]

[edit on 1-8-2008 by SteveAndrew]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
We seem to have several neophytes who are interested but a little nervous about jumping straight in to the official debates. Would anyone be willing to set up some beginner debates to help us get our feet wet and provide some guidance along the way about what we're doing right or wrong?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
u2u someone to accept/offer a Challenge and then discuss the potential topic, who will argue what, etc. Then u2u me and I can get the debate set up for you...

As well, if you have an opponent and would like to be assigned a random topic and position, then just u2u me with a confirmed opponent or post in this thread...

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The current field of debaters....we have reached the 24 person limit in record time...

Edit: One more left...

But all is not settled yet. Remember that higher ranked Fighters get precedence over the lower ranked Fighters. Those with rankings of zero may want to jump into a Challenge Match with someone to up their ranking a bit...just in case a a higher ranked Fighter decides to jump in. We have two weeks until the sign list is final, so I would encourage all lower ranked Fighters to make an attempt for a Challenge Match.

Also, for all new potential Fighters:

Consider the time obligation. During active debates, we have a daily requirement of interest....the 24 hour time limit will not always be used to its' fullest by your opponent, which means that you must be able to check in on a regular basis...and as well, be able to compose a response in the allotted time frame, which is a variable...

That said, I am excited at all of the new talent we have here...good luck challenging...

semperfortis...22
TruthWithin....14
Skyfloating....13
chissler....8
nyk537....4
souls....3
maria_stardust...2
whatukno.....2
bodrul....2
Andrew E. Wiggin...2
LDragonFire....1
Ian McLean...0
jasonjnelson...0
GUNSINWAR....0
Cadbury...0
LestatG....0
emsed1.....0
ThreeDeuc...0
constantwonder...0
BSG75....0
nine-eyed-eel...0
ragster...0
SteveAndrew...0

[edit on 1-8-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Still have one slot opened. I'm not entering the tournament- just want to do a challenge match to see how it goes. Just for fun.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I could debate you Ashley if you want. Pick your poison

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Oh yeah sign me up.

I'm coming after you alphabetically, like the letter V.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

But I am already promised to Lestat!
I'm still on vacation and finally checked U2U's after not being on ATS for days. Lestat and I are stuck on the topic, too, and agreed to let MS assign us the topic.

(So, oh ya. Psst. MS. Assign us a topic!
Possibly some form of social issue?).

But if you want, you and I can do a challenge match, too, Wukky. Whatever you'd like. No obligation. Consider me a newbie and easy prey to boost your debate score.
Just need to go with Lestat first but I bet you'd be a great learning experience!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

No problem...

Just let me know the date you guys can start...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

well when your done with Lestat, let me give you the choice, I, never had... (really, I couldnt help myself) How about "Is Jesus God?" I think that you would have quite a lot of material to go on with that subject. You could take pro and Ill take con.

When your done with Lestat that is

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
To anyone who is signing up for this debate, please consider if you're going to have the time to commit. It can take a few weeks and become a daily requirement to have your post(s) up in time. Missing a post here and there isn't that big of a deal, but when we see several forfeitures it becomes a little much.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join