It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to get giant TV screens in 60 towns and cities. Broadcasting 18 hours a day!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   

UK to get giant TV screens in 60 towns and cities. Broadcasting 18 hours a day!

www.timesonline.co.uk

Anyone who has lived without a television will know how hard it is to convince TV Licensing staff that is possible to exist without constant video entertainment. It is one more freedom that is to be taken from us. Like the telescreens in George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four that citizens could turn down but not off, the giant screens planned for 60 towns and cities will make watching television compulsory.

When the BBC and the organising committee of the London Olympics first mooted a network of screens the assumption was that they would be there only during the Games, allowing us all to share the excitement. It turns out that they are to stay and broadcast audibly for up to 18 hours a day.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I hope my town doesn't get one,I can see this being one of the many nails being taken out of the coffin of civil unrest,unleash the beast! They're just going to get smashed up,at least,I hope they do. I wonder if it'll emit a high pitch frequency like all other TVs.

I can has NWO?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

And according to the article, local tax payers may be expected to foot the bill at a time when services are being cut due to budget pressure.

People have to use their rights to hassle their elected offcials. If every time a council wanted to put one of these screens up, local tax payers complained, you would like to think they would listen.

And who would decide what is broadcast? If the BBC are involved, will we see News 24 and repeats?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
oh god no,not repeats. I don't think I could handle 18 hours of keeping up appearences. 5 minutes is enough to make me want to kill.

Wasn't there a thread on here recently about tvs and radio emiting a strange high pitch frequency? Imagine that coming out of these machines. Tin foil hats may not actually be a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Maybe after the olympics they can run updates on the current war with Eastasia. I mean, we have always been at war with Eastasia right??

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
There's already a screen like this up in Millennium Square in Leeds, and it's been there for a couple of years now.

All it seems to broadcast is BBC News 24 and local news programming. I've seen some stuff that local university students have produced too on there, but that's about it. Usually the sound is either very low or switched off, so it's pretty pointless anyway.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
They moan about our 'carbon footprints' but they going to slap dirty great TV sets all across the UK.

*snip* that, save money and time because you know by the first night of 18hr running som chav is going to steal it for his PS3 screen.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/28/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Starred and flagged!
Thankyou for this disturbing info.

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
*snip* that, save money and time because you know by the first night of 18hr running som chav is going to steal it for his PS3 screen.

ROFL
I can see that happening for real!

mod edit : quote

[edit on 7/28/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Swindon actually has one of these, and amazingly, it has not been destroyed by yobs.

Perhaps there is something sacred to Chavs - the holy words of their gods, given down by TV...

...I'm actually a non-TV owner. I'll be called a pagan any time soon.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Bah, as London wasn't noisy enough already. I don't see the point in fighting against it though, it's not like anyone is listening anymore.
By no means am I giving up tho, I'm happy to be a pain in the bum for someone.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Hmmm, how Orwellian. And, for some reason, I can't get the image of the president in V for Vendetta out of my mind.

I'd say good idea if it's just for the Olympics but see no reason for permanency.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Is it really any different to having advertising posters, neon signs and 'video' advertisements? Most big cities have these. Look at Time Square in New York, for example.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What are the screens made from? Can they be smashed with bricks and golfclubs or burnt with fire?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Oh man, the uk?

The irony of this thread Americans are walking talking television sets. is now at it's peak. Does this make the UKers omnipotent television sets? bwahaha.

jokin' aside I love you guys.

Hopefully they show something decent, I mean cmon 18 hours of Lifetime TV would make anyone want to do themselves in.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

You beat me to the punch here...Was going to say, "Anyone see V for Vendetta?" Anyone who hasn't, I HIGHLY recommend doing so.

Life imitating art, frighteningly so.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
This will be in 2012 broadcasting the Olympics that's being held in London isn't it?. They did it for the Sydney games in 2000 and for the world cup in 2006.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is also becoming a fairly common occurrence in Australia.

Especially in and around shopping malls and in the city, they just have Plasma's suspended from light poles or attached to big joints hanging off walls just beaming garbage at you as you walk past.
Would it kill them to at least play some sports or something I dunno....

Eerily reminiscent of that scene from V for Vendetta when people in the streets are being bombarded by propaganda via large screen TV's hung like paintings everywhere.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thank you for this totally mind-boggling snippet. Scares the h*ll out of me.

Aren't people dumbed-down enough, already? I guess not enough to please the City of London that controls Britain.

The next step, of course, is for the U.S. to do what City of London dictates so we here in the U.S. under FED authoritarianism will undoubtedly also at some time in the near future have the same.

What we do have now, at least in California, is video coverage of all freeway traffic, and, of selected city intersections, and also, of selected neighborhoods -- viewable by the police.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't see a big problem here folks. The screens will be used for big sporting events like the World cup, The European championships and the Olympics.

It also gives the tramps, down and outs and beggars the opportunity of catching up on a bit of propaganda.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

" Attention! Your attention, please! A newsflash has this moment arrived from the Malabar front. Our forces in South India have won a glorious victory. I am authorized to say that the action we are now reporting may well bring the war within measurable distance of its end."

News from the Eastern front our glorious troops today we are winning
Food production up 300%
Industrial output up 150%

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join