It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the deal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I recently turned in my application to become a Freemason, and all of my friends are freaking out. Saying that I just joined the occult! I have done quite a bit of research about Freemasons and talked to a lot of Freemasons and I really don't see why people think so negatively of them. My sponsor is a terrific family man that does a lot for the community his family and his friends. What should I expect beside being surrounded by a wonderful group of brothers?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thirdeyeflight

Anti-masons, though their arguments upon examination are vapid, have done a extremely good job in implanting this "Freemasonry = occult" into society's subconscious. The roots of it come from those who feared any group of people where everyone is equal (politicians and religious leaders).

The best thing to do is combat propaganda with facts and reason. Use the research you did before deciding to join to find out what masonry was about to show those with such illusions reality.

What can you expect? Brotherhood, fraternity, some interesting rituals, and an emphasis on charity. What you should not expect is any personal gain.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Poor feller.. you gone been brainwashed! .. Now thems masons fellers are stealing your soul and you dun even knows it!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well I am going to do my best to implant the truth back into society, starting with my friends.

It is pretty sad the dis info going around about such a great group of people. People fear what they don't know and I can not blame them. I just think maybe they should research it first then believing the first thing they hear.

Gentlemen thank you for your insight and humor.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
well, freemasonry IS occult. It's just not a-cult.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeflight
I recently turned in my application to become a Freemason, and all of my friends are freaking out. Saying that I just joined the occult!

Well, ya see, it's like this. In today's society, we're all expected to have an opinion on everything (even if we don't really understand just what it is that we're being asked about). So your 'friends' who might at best have done a cursory Google search no doubt are dredging-up every scintilla of Freemasonrywatch-esque doubt that they can throw your way, rather than actually going to a source that might have some actual understanding.

Unfortunately, in all likelihood, if you come back with a favourable response about it, they'll think you've been brainwashed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Join (or don't) for your own reasons and not for your friends' reasons

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
well, freemasonry IS occult. It's just not a-cult.
Indeed, from my dictionary...

occult:beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or experience;

So right word, you just need to educate your friends on what it means.

Just don't tell them about the goat.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

People who don't want to hear the truth simply refuse to listen.

You are going to have a lot of fun, learn a lot of history and make a lot of great friends.

You should ask them if they think the Benevolent Order of the Elks is a cult. You can google BPOE and take a look at their rituals and you can see they are nearly identical to ours, but furry animals don't arouse suspicion! (Forunately the Elks do a great service to society as well.)

I would encourage you to read all you can about masonry. The only thing I wish I *hadn't* done beforehand was to read about the rituals and degrees.

They are splattered all over the internet and I took a really in-depth look at them before joining. It reassured me, but in hind sight it took a lot of the fun and surprise out of it.

Don't worry, the masons are fun guys and you will have a blast! The really fun part is pretending to your friends and family that you have learned some dark, horrible secret to controlling the world. They never know if you are kidding or not and it's good for a few laughs.

Welcome brother!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

It is not occult in the way the term is used by the average person. That term in everyday language use has extremely negative connotations. Sort of like how people call something "satanic" without having a clue what the term actually means.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I love the word Satanic. Because it is most often applied to people who don't believe in or the concept of Satan.

Who on Earth doesn't enjoy a good dose of ignorant irony every once in a while eh??

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

I would encourage you to read all you can about masonry. The only thing I wish I *hadn't* done beforehand was to read about the rituals and degrees.

They are splattered all over the internet and I took a really in-depth look at them before joining. It reassured me, but in hind sight it took a lot of the fun and surprise out of it.

Don't worry, the masons are fun guys and you will have a blast! The really fun part is pretending to your friends and family that you have learned some dark, horrible secret to controlling the world. They never know if you are kidding or not and it's good for a few laughs.

Welcome brother!

Unfortunately I have already done a lot of reading on the rituals and I feel that I have spoiled some of the surprises, but none the less I am looking forward in learning the craft and being a better man. Thank you all for the great feed back. I love this place.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by thirdeyeflight]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness

It is not occult in the way the term is used by the average person. That term in everyday language use has extremely negative connotations. Sort of like how people call something "satanic" without having a clue what the term actually means.

I disagree. Perhaps the "average person" is ignorant to the meaning of the word occult, however that does not mean it has negative connotations. For example, calling someone "elite" may have negative connotations as well, depending on the context. I still believe that someone saying it's "occult" is confusing the word "cult," which is sort of a self-inflicted insult.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeflight

Unfortunately I have already done a lot of reading on the rituals and I feel that I have spoiled some of the surprises, but none the less I am looking forward in learning the craft and being a better man. Thank you all for the great feed back. I love this place.

[edit on 28-7-2008 by thirdeyeflight]

Well, the important thing is the experience. I think you are taking a really healthy attitude toward this.

Most of the masons I know are very curious and skeptical. Even though there is a lot of formality in the degrees and meetings don't be afraid to ask hard questions.

I have made a couple of faux pas in lodge before because nobody spent a lot of time with me on etiquette. I thought I might give you a couple.

When lodge is in session don't cross your legs or slouch. It's more of an etiquette thing but a lot of the older guys especially are picky on this. If you get to sit in one of the officer positions it's especially important to not cross your legs and keep your feet flat on the floor.

Don't walk between the WM and the altar. Of course there are times in lodge where it will be necessary but don't cross on your own without asking. Again this is symbolic and most people don't pay attention to it but it's good practice.

Finally if you wish to speak or are called upon always stand up before speaking. Just an etiquette thing!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
When you become a Mason, you will know the true meaning and reason why we call eachother brother. Not because of some "occult" thing, but because you will be treated better than a friend would treat you. Example; when I first joined the lodge, I did not know anyone. The lodge had a dinner and I went. My Brothers made sure I did not eat alone, by myself. They have always made sure that, I am comfortable, and have made me feel at ease and like a king. I have told them that I have never been treated so special. The only thanks they wanted was for me to do the same to a new brother. I am now a Master Mason, and I do my best to make a new EA, or brother feel the way my Brothers made me feel.
I have been called several things, since I became a Freemason. I wore my ring one time to the mall, and was talking to a sales lady about some necklaces for my daughter. She seen my ring and with fear in her eyes she quickly left me there and would not speak with me again. So there is a price we pay for being who we are, because of the misinformation.
Also, when I was an EA, The officers told me that because someone has a ring or displays Freemason symbols that does not make him a Mason. You have to be careful of those who portray them self as Masons.
I know you will be happy you joined, because it will be one of the best decisions you have ever made.
Remember the old saying " No good deed goes unpunished".
You will be laughing at the anti`s with the rest of before you know it.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
To the OP:

You will learn a lot on this forum by reading the contributions from regulars like ALightInDarkness and Masonic Light.

You will also learn a few things from the anti-masons too. Specifically: how we are perceived by some members of society. Whilst distasteful, often ludicrous, and sometimes offensive, it is still worthwhile to pick through this stuff.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
It isn't occult at the 32nd degree.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
well I would say in reference to your question the word occult should be defined as:

hidden from view.

The word has more to do with an eclipse than magick in this sense.

the obscuration of the light of the moon by the intervention of the earth between it and the sun (lunar eclipse) or the obscuration of the light of the sun by the intervention of the moon between it and a point on the earth (solar eclipse).

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Out of all the times I have seen "average joe" use "occult" in modern language, it has never been without a negative connotation or used as a synonym for "bad" or "strange." Wikipedia, which perhaps exists only as a valid source for measuring public perception of the terms it defines, even confuses it as a synonym for meaning anything paranormal:
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-7-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
one word to the OP

don't fall off the goat

its embarrassing trust me...they grease that sucker up pretty good and make it hard for you to hold on...the best tactic i have notice that people have been catching onto is to grab the ears. that gives them good stability. see me going in and not knowing caused lots of issues and i was allover the place with that goat.

i wish our lodge had a saddle

\

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Be careful, this is ATS, someones going to take that and then post "PROOF OF MASONIC SATANIC GOAT BESTIALITY!!!!! SOMEONE CONTACT JIM MARRS!!!!"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join