It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Obama Campaign Nixes Troop Visit...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Pentagon: Obama Campaign Nixes Troop Visit...

www.politico.com

Chief Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell confirmed to Politico that Department of Defense officials cautioned Barack Obama's campaign that his planned visit to wounded American troops in Germany could not be political in nature and that he would be barred from bringing along campaign staff and reporters. He also said that Cindy McCain recently requested to visit sailors aboard the U.S.N.S. Comfort and was denied.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
More of the article:

"Sen. Obama is welcome to visit Landstuhl or any military hospital in his official capacity as a United States senator," Morrell said in a brief interview. "But there is a DoD policy which governs campaigning and electioneering at military facilities that would have to be respected if he were to visit. That distinction was relayed and made clear to campaign, and they made a decision on their own based on that guidance."

Obama turned down a chance to visit and comfort wounded troops because he would not have been able to turn the visit into political gain for himself.

So, again we have Obama's true colors showing - and they are hardly red, white and blue.

www.politico.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've read this a couple other places, too. It would have been easier if they said the whole story at the beginning, and not give it to everyone bits and pieces.

Yeah, the Obamanator couldn't be bothered. Had to get to his 4 star in Paris and shoot hoops.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I agree! It's pathetic that he ignored the wounded troops even if most of them would not vote for him. Obama is a loser!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

On the other hand, Obama may have come up with a new strategy to end U.S. involvement in future wars. He pisses off the troops to the point that they won't fight for him as commander in chief.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It all depends on where you get the story. I read that the DOD told him NOT TO GO, because it would have appeared political (and Obama didn't want to make it political, so he respected the demands of the DOD). Hmmmmm. It's funny how the spin machine works.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

On the other hand, Obama may have come up with a new strategy to end U.S. involvement in future wars. He pisses off the troops to the point that they won't fight for him as commander in chief.

Can you provide a link to the poll results of how many "troops" Obama has pissed off. Or maybe even some direct comments in a published document of troops being quoted as saying Obama is pissing them off and they will refuse to fight if he is commander in chief??

Thank you in advance for the information.

By the way, by troops I mean, our ground troops (grunts and so forth). I don't mean the big wigs in the military.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Source please.

I knew there was a reason I didn't care for him, this just confirms it for me. If it is true that he was permitted to visit, just without his entourage, and he declined, then this should make it out to the rest of the country. If true, it is quite sickening.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick

Source please.

I knew there was a reason I didn't care for him, this just confirms it for me. If it is true that he was permitted to visit, just without his entourage, and he declined, then this should make it out to the rest of the country. If true, it is quite sickening.

Here ya go

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
One more link.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Thank you.

Would it have been perceived as a political move? More than likely. Should he have gone anyways and explained it to the people who questioned the reasoning? You better believe it. At least the thought process behind it was solid however, just a wrong move if you ask me. Still don't care for him, but at least it has nothing to do with this now.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Duplicate post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on 7/25/08 @ 10:19

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CO Vet
Duplicate post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on 7/25/08 @ 10:19

So? This one was started today at 9:51. Which would make the one you referenced the duplicate post.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Senior Obama aide Robert Gibbs noted the senator had visited troops during the earlier part of his foreign tour in Iraq and Afghanistan, including a stop at a combat support hospital in the Green Zone in Baghdad.

Obama also visited wounded soldiers at the Walter Reed military hospital in Washington last month.

"The senator decided out of respect for these servicemen and women that it would be inappropriate to make a stop to visit troops at a U.S. military facility as part of a trip funded by the campaign," Gibbs said.

I noticed it was quiet in here thanks to cowgirl
so I decided to reiterate what the story ACTUALLY said.

More incendiary reich-wing falsehoodery.

For a bunch of people who like war so much....they sure spend a lot of time not fighting it.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
McBush is ignoring that the Pentagon blocked Obama and is saying Obama refuses to visit troops. Of course CNN and MSNBC point out this lie while Fox Noise says McBush is right and we need to exterminate the blacks for trying to move in on a white mans job.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger
McBush is ignoring that the Pentagon blocked Obama and is saying Obama refuses to visit troops. Of course CNN and MSNBC point out this lie while Fox Noise says McBush is right and we need to exterminate the blacks for trying to move in on a white mans job.

Do you comprehend what you read?

They said he could go as long as he did not campain.
As usual, the libroid media like CNN and PmsNBC are skewed in their reporting.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Uh, did you not read the Edited ACTUAL news story? The Pentagon said, and I Quote

"It may be SEEN as campaigning."

So he, in respect, did not go.

Learn to read something not from Fox Noise.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Your opinion based on what, some politically biased blog?

The statement I read was this:

PARIS (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama dropped a plan to visit wounded U.S. troops in Germany on Friday amid concerns the stop would be viewed as a political event. Link

What I find so amusing about this is the4 fact that Obama made a decision to NOT turn a visit to our wounded troops into a political event out of respect and once again those that oppose him still use the situation to try to smear him.

Honestly, we all know he can not win you and yours affection so I do not see any validity to the continually desperate attempts made at making him look bad.

"He was not born in the USA!" "He is a Muslim extremist trying to seize power in the USA" "He dose not wear a lapel pin" "he did not put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance" on and on and on.

I am actually happy that this is all that you and yours can dig up to try to tear him down with.

It reminds me of a lyric from the Flaming Lips:

"How does it feel holdin' it up; when everythings fallin' down?"

Well, how does it feel?

Edited to add my link.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
What I find so amusing about this is the4 fact that Obama made a decision to NOT turn a visit to our wounded troops into a political event out of respect and once again those that oppose him still use the situation to try to smear him.

I don't think people are critical of that, but mainly of this (this is from your source):

"Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman took issue with Gration's statement, saying that the Defense Department did not object to Obama visiting in his role as an Illinois senator but it did not want campaign staff or the media present.

"The Pentagon certainly did not tell the senator that he could not visit Landstuhl," Whitman said. "The issue here is that if you are both a sitting senator and a political candidate, when you are doing things like a visit to Landstuhl, you need to do it in your capacity as a sitting senator.""

He COULD have gone, but the campaign staff, etc, would not have been allowed. He could have gone as Senator Obama, but not as Presidential Candidate Obama. (I think a lot of senators do go and visit wounded troops from their states).

So, how's that working for you?

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krieger

Uh, did you not read the Edited ACTUAL news story? The Pentagon said, and I Quote

"It may be SEEN as campaigning."

So he, in respect, did not go.

Learn to read something not from Fox Noise.

Umm.....if you twist any more, you are going to break in half.

Plus you are changing your argument.

First, you said, "the Pentagon blocked Obama". After proving you wrong, you changed to "It may be seen as campaigning". This is also incorrect.

Here is the exact line from the article: "could not be political in nature and that he would be barred from bringing along campaign staff and reporters."
Do you understand what this means? Apparently not.

It means he was allowed to go but could not bring his staff and reporters. Do you get it now?

This is even worse for Obama because in his head, Obama did not want to see the wounded troops because he could not make a political statement. Hmmm....you would think regardless if he could bring his staff or not that he would want to see the troops. Guess not.

Please stop being brainwashed and stop listening to your libroid media. Try thinking for yourself once and awhile.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join