It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, how much money would make you happy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
OK, clearly the obvious answer to the question is 'millions' or with the current economic climate you might want to make that 'billions', but how much money would be the MINIMUM you would want to have to make you happy?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Easy...

Enough to pay off my mortgage, cars and credit cards, I could do it right now for under $150k.

I'd be happy.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
About 100k.

Maybe 150.

Actually, millions wouldn't be a correct answer like many people think.

Studies have been done on this and it was found that rich people are not any happier then those that are less fortunate.

The class that was teh happiest was the mid-upper middle class, who were simply comfortable.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Enough money to buy a modest house in which I can purchase a few nice things such as A fast computer. This would be HTPC with 7.1 surround sound. I would purchase energy saving items such as a tankless water heater, solar panels, and some such.

Then enough money to have my own work out area. I'd also like to be able to afford healthy/organic food. I would also like to purchase a modest economical vehicle. I would like to travel around, seeing the world. I'd also like to see my dream come true of building a library of free thought.

This would include a garden/meditation area/nemeton open to all who are committed free thought and personal growth.

However much that is, likely billions.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Studies have been done on this and it was found that rich people are not any happier then those that are less fortunate.

'Studies' funded by rich people no doubt. lol.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I've had some very nice well paying jobs and worked very hard for the money. I have always looked at my position at life during these jobs a quickly realize that it is not worth it. You have to have a real big ego to be even remotely satisfied with having a lot of money. The only good having a lot of money is , is so you can buy things to show off to others that you are successful.

But, there is one thing, everyone that has a lot of money is also massively in debt. That is just the way the system is setup or people just can't help but to over-extend them self to make them look even more successful.

I've had multi-millionaires cry to me because they lost a lot of money on the stock market during the real estate crash many years ago. Like I'm just your flipper remodeler, why you crying to me.

His wife told me that he was so upset that he was being treated for suicidal thoughts!

just goes to prove the more money you get the more obsessive you get and less happy you get. It is just best to live modestly and stay out of debt, plus have plenty of time to do recreational things. That is what a happy life is. Not planning a year in advance to cruise on your yaht for one week then going back to the hellish life of making a lot of money!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Millions..??
Pfft.
No thanks.
All I need is enough to keep my bills paid and food on the table.
Anything else is gravy.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

"Ditto"

Health and food on the table and as least chaos as possible is more my style

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
In my case, I wouldn't ask for a lump sum. I'd be happy with $10,000 per month. Stability is the key with me.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yum, I happen to love gravy and lots of it, including butter and mayonnaise. So for me at least a million bucks for every child I may happen to birth/support would be nice, really.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I used to buy lotto tickets greedily thinking "YESSSSSSSS I'm gonna be a zillionaire!!!!!" But the older I get, the more I'd just like to be comfortable. $150k - $200k to clear debts and mortgage, and a bit extra to top up my kids' college funds would be awesome.

Then I think work would actually be fun knowing when I get a pay, the bank isn't going to take it all away and leave no fun for me! As someone else said, if I did win a large sum, I'd never take the payout. Give me a chunk monthly/yearly and I'd be a happy girl.

Michelle

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well...Money wouldn't make me happier, but it certainly would make some things easier...We are the typical Middle Class Family. Both of my parents work, I work, and somewhow at the end of the month, the bills get paid, We get fed, and I'm still attending University and putting Gas in my Car.

I wouldn't want it for me, I would want it for my parents. I am a student, I have 2 wonderful parents, I have a car, and I have Loans. I would like for my parents to not have to work. I would love if my father could retire. He deserves it.

The things I'd like to do:
- Pay off their Mortage & all Forms of Debt associated with their names
- Pay off my debt, my student loans, student line of credit, and credit card
- Pay for all my school fees: tuition, books, housing, food etc. (8 years worth ish)
- Buy Property in Southern BC so my parents could retire
- Build two houses on the property
- Set up Education Funds for Potential Children (not mine, I dont plan on kids at this point, however, I have a few cousins who could use the money).

I can't put a price on it, since I dont know how much it would take. But a couple hundered thousand could check a few of these off my list. First order of Business would be the Mortage and My Student Debt.... The rest will follow after.

- Carrot

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Enough to buy crazy laser eyes.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Sure, millions would be great, but really all I would like (in a lump-sum format, say in a lotto, or poker tourney windfall) would be about 80-100K.

Enough to pay-off my debt, put a down on a home, and invest some away for retirement. I could be debt-free, car included, with about 25K.

I don't mind working, but then again, that might be because in my profession I'm outnumbered about 99-1, female to male ratio.

If I could just get rid of my debt, I might just have enough to take one of those ladies out!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I would love to pay off my studies I guess. And probably invest in property and build a portfolio also for the possible future. Don't need anything other than that. I'm quite content with my living status.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The sweetness would only last a little while if someone paid you a large amount of money.
After a short period of time, you would just get new problems that would trouble you just as much as the old ones.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

I just got out bidded on a condo I like here in the Seattle area.. I'm looking at places around 190k. Would be nice to have 20% down on a 200k place. So that's 40,000 + 4,000 (pay off my truck) + 75,000 (to start a business, go back to school, etc) + $120 (2 tanks of gas) = $119,120.00

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Admittedly I play the lottery occasionally, but I play the provincial one with a typical jackpot of a few hundred thousand verses the Nationwide one with a prize of millions.
I truly just would like enough to buy back my house that I had to sell.
All I need is $350,000.
Geez that's crazy to me..but true.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Enough to buy a nice house fully paid so id never have to worry about that,

Thats about it for me,

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Interesting that only one reply said that they would like millions/billions as they could use the money for a project for others on a large scale.

Why limit yourself to only enough money to survive?

I have yet to see any rich people unhappy. But, there are plenty of poor in total despair and misery. You can't compare a millionaire having a bad day on the stock market with someone who has children who are starving. The rich aren't unhappy, they just have 'bad hair days'.

If you are rich you choose to be stressed by what you choose to do with your money, if you are poor you're stressed because you have no choice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join