It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, how much money would make you happy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I aint gonna lie... I want loads of money... but then I am only 21! who wouldn't want money!!!

I would ask for 5 million, put 3 in a high intrest accounts, ensure my family never had to work again if they wished, make accounts for my nieces-nephews to receive when they are 25.

Erm.. then the rest would be....???

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
probably about 10,000 dollars. get me a little 4,000 dollar car, pay off my drivers license, get some fillings, and go to school.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That's the way to see life! I haven't had the millions, but I was in the circle and experienced it first hand. No way in heck is it worth it!

Hmmmm! I'm not sure if your siggy is making me nervous or just simply paranoid!

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
give me enough money to fund my own private army of hot girls that will cater to my every whim damn hefner i hate you

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You mean now?

About $70.89 should do it.

I might need a little more down the road, but for now, a tank of gas, a 6 of Corona and some slimjims would be nice.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
A friend told me once that money is not the measure of success but the by product of success. A poor man can be successful if he has everything he needs. So it depends upon how much a person needs, compared to the perceived needs that support the grasping of the ego.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Ok, so you didn't say long term so I am going short term. This may sound modest to you. I could survive happily on two grand a month. That would be a lot to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Sure, there are some things I could do with loads of money, but generally it is not an issue for me. What I want cannot possibly be acheived with any amount of money, 'cause I want things money cannot possibly buy. Peace, love, proesperity & happyness cannot possibly be purchased with money, and even if they could then that would leave me with a cheap feeling - like I didn't earn it.

If I was given money I would buy some nice things for people I know & myself, contribute to my parents retirement fund, & then donate the rest.

[edit on 26/7/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Roughly about $108,000.00 would do me just fine. I could be perfectly happy with that amount. It wouldn't go to me but my son. I figured that would be just about right for him to go to college.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

LOL

Actually it was done by one benign group.
I heard a segment on it on npr. It was interesting actually.

Though we think that the rich are happy because they can do what they want, basically it comes with a lot of unwanted qualms, and I can kind of see it.

They are eternally bored. If you lived in an amusement park, eventually you would get bored of it.

There is nothing to look forward too. Nothing to gain. You already have it all.

That is why so many still work, something to do.

Then they have all this money, while so many are poor, and they do know the stigma attached to it and see it everyday. yet they face too much pressure from family and peers to give it away.

Becasue of their social standing, they are forced to conform to socialite ideals. They always have to put up a front, and be someone who they are not. I imagine it is very suffocating sometimes.

We have all seen titanic, where Rose confronts having to be a socialite. That kind of behavior of forced acceptance still carries on with socialites today.
That is why they never marry poor, or non-socialites because those not in the society don't know how it works or would understand because they have not been raised that way. Even A list actors/actresses are considered third string.

There is a reason paris hilton does act out I think. She is rebelling.

It is kind of interesting when you really look into it.

This is why the upper middle class is the happiest. They have enough to be comfortable, but not enough where they still have something to work for and look forward too. They still have dreams...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

I truly believe this. The happiest person I know is my best friend. She is a zookeeper. She LOVES her job, loves her coworkers. LOVEs going to work everyday, and gets a great amount of satisfaction from it. It gives her a lot of love and pride.

She makes 18k a year.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
ok lets leave the romanticism away from this thread.

There is nothing bad about money, its like guns its not the gun that kills you its the shooter or when was the last time you saw a gun on trial? right, same with money.

Now as for me i culd use like 10 g's a month that would taqke care of me for life so i could devote my life to something else other than working my life away like a freaking slave to this system we have.

what money can buy me is time to do what i really wana do, and that is to work on all of my side projects starting from my graphic novel all the way to building a microwave emiter into my car.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
$25,000. That's all I need to buy a modest house and fix it up. I already have a job and career I love that would pay for all my expenses each month and take care of anything I want to do.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I feel blessed in that I am selfemployed and my income depends on my efforts.

Knowing my patterns; If I had more money than I could use and not have to work; I would selfdistruct in short order.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by UFOpsychiczebra

enough money to pay my student loans
Credit cards and enough to buy my house which would be around 340k UK

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
ok lets leave the romanticism away from this thread.

There is nothing bad about money, its like guns its not the gun that kills you its the shooter or when was the last time you saw a gun on trial? right, same with money.

Now as for me i culd use like 10 g's a month that would taqke care of me for life so i could devote my life to something else other than working my life away like a freaking slave to this system we have.

what money can buy me is time to do what i really wana do, and that is to work on all of my side projects starting from my graphic novel all the way to building a microwave emiter into my car.

Well said and honest.

All this rubbish about the rich being unhappy is a con tick. If they are so unhappy with all that money why don't they give it away? There is no one stopping them is there?

Money = time, as razor1000 stated. Actually a similar thing was said by the author Terry Pratchett in an interview when he was asked what is the best thing about having wealth and he said "it buys me time, instead of having to clean my house, mow my lawn, I can pay someone else to do it and then I can CHOOSE what to do with my time".

Money = choice.

Choice in the best education. Are those who cannot afford, but want to study, higher education happy?
Choice in the best healthcare. How many poor people die due to no or poor healthcare? Are they happy, are their families happy? Or are some happy with a lifelong debt for health bills?
Choice to live in the best areas. Do you enjoy high crime and pollution?
Choice for your children and their ambitions. Does it make you happy to see your child’s nature talents wasted due to your lack of money?
Etc...

Are those who deny money can make you happy prepared to state that they honestly wouldn't want those choices I've listed above?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I wouldn't ask for a set amount. It would be more along the lines of if I wanted something, I could reach in my pocket and pull out the exact change for it.

I know I would end up getting bored with money, but I could always find something, somewhere to do.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan
I know I would end up getting bored with money, but I could always find something, somewhere to do.

Not much you could do without any money though is there?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join