It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is going on in dubai?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
A Helluva lot more than any of us could have imagined. I have to say, years ago, I was highly interested in visiting Dubai and even living there, but only because of the cultural diversity, frequency of growth and limitless potential it seemed to possess. I admit, I was aware of hydropolis--I thought it was kind of cool, however, I had no idea about the islands, Dubailand, and other jaw-dropping detractors. Now the place scares me away. Dubai, gaining so much attention, will probably set itself up for a great fall in the future. The description "modern-day Atlantis" seems most appropriate in this case.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
i wouldn't start packing my bags yet peeps!!

www.uaeprison.com...

(takes a second for the whole page to come up, but there are a lot of issues w/ human trafficking etc., arrests being made for even a trace amount of drugs not even on your person, but in your system, etc. Not sure if it is worth the risk. a lot of those stories are very sad and warning bc some of not for the weak stomached, like me.)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think you will find its just oil money being turned into tourisim money

for the rich and famouse of course.

perhaps its a sure fire sign that the oil is running out fast, now that all that oil money is being used.

thanks for the link was intresting.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I do not think the whole dome idea is cost effective, cheaper just to build underground (perhaps some type of forcefield or self-building dome). I think there just trying to reclaim the hanging gardens of Babylon. The space port actually might have just been a concept as they have been attempting high and low orbit craft, but i perhaps they had there people look at the technology and decided it wasn't feasible yet so not to invest billions.

Edit added dome stuff in ()

[edit on 22-7-2008 by leomurray]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Dubai has an enormous amount of wealth, I’m sure that explains a lot.

I know only one person who has been to Dubai and besides having a different culture and largely differing religious practices people there are not that different from you or I, but the gap between classes is astounding (and a little more obvious there) and the highest class is a greedy bunch just like any other such class in the world, who care little for those below them.

“Should we give money to poor kids? Nah lets build bitch'in skyscraper!”

[edit on 22-7-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's funny that someone mentioned Atlantis, the fake islands in Dubai reminded me of the "rings" that Plato describes around the fabled isle. Such a built up and wasteful place worries me that they're courting disaster.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

www.uaeprison.com...

(takes a second for the whole page to come up, but there are a lot of issues w/ human trafficking etc., arrests being made for even a trace amount of drugs not even on your person, but in your system, etc. Not sure if it is worth the risk. a lot of those stories are very sad and warning bc some of not for the weak stomached, like me.)

Right. Like it's not happening in good old America. www.boingboing.net...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'd rather have them build on desert land. At least they're not displacing forests (unlike those Brazilians.
)

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I've seen most of the stuff before. World's current tallest building (not even complete), world's largest marina, world's tallest hotel, amusement park on the boards to be twice the size of Disney World, massive engineering efforts to make dozens of man-made islands...yet it's craziness for real, and totally captivating too. I look up Dubai city every once in a while just to see what the heck else they have coming down the pike. I don't think it is other-worldly craziness though. To be honest the think the catalyst for the development is twofold. One Dubai is a relatively small and liberal mid-eastern country; therefor they acknowledge pretty openly the insanity of relying on a finite resource (oil) to to be the backbone of their economy. Because of their liberalness, they can entice foreign investment and tourism without westerners feeling they're supporting terrorists (whether they would be or not is a whole 'nother story). Secondly, emerging states always have a chip on their shoulder. The UAE wants to show the world that is "has arrived" on the world stage and what better way to do that than building some of the most amazing things humanity has ever seen?
Except for the multi-mile high platinum monoliths our reptilians overlords constructed during man's infancy and have long since fallen...but again, that's a whole 'nother thread too!

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

I instantly thought of this is why oil prices are at an all time high to fund this project, nice to know that I'm not alone in this thought. I'm sure it is for other dastardly things to come for those who oppose in the end.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by homo_borg

Originally posted by justamomma

www.uaeprison.com...

Right. Like it's not happening in good old America. www.boingboing.net...

*sighs* yes. ya got me. lol and funny, now that you mention pointed that out, first instict was to say "yeah, but at least will treat them better while in our custody. (thinking of all the horrible things arabs have done) Guess that propaganda they've been doling out on us for so long is pretty darn effective, huh? *sighs again* waterboard torture really scares me though just as much as being beaten silly. dang you for making me get rid of some of that one sided view
lol

*snipped* up world we are living in.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kacou

That's an Emaar development, right? I thought they went on 99-year leases?

I may well be wrong though. If so, thanks for the correction, and I'd be happy if you'd fill me in on the details. If you reckon it's drifting too far off the thread topic, u2u them to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I lived and worked in the UAE for 6 months back in '93. Mostly in Abu Dhabi but I also spent time in Dubai as well. It's a beautiful country especially in the late winter and early spring when I was there. There were tons of Europeans working there as well as a lot of European tourists. The Emirates are actually the richest folks in that part of the world and are light years ahead of the Saudis in economic diversity. While they do have some lavish displays of wealth, they are basically the financial center for international trade in the area. Their oil wealth has been the principal on which they've created their financial success but they are just some of the smartest traders in the world. They just forgave the debt that the Iraqis owed them. I've kept an eye out for them in the news now for 15 years. These guys are serious about their investments and are jumping in with both feet into Iraq. My best guess is that they've put their foot down on all sides of the conflict and since they are the big money guys in that part of the world, the fighting factions know that if they ever want to get back to killing each other that they're going to have to give it a rest until they can squirrel away enough money to pay for their armaments away from the all seeing Emirates banking eyes. These guys had enough money or juice to kick out the US Air Force and Navy after the first Gulf War despite some fairly tempting offers from the US gov't to establish bases there. There's still a very small US Navy presence in Al Fujairah but both Al Dhafra and Jebal Ali are now closed or very greatly reduced to the best of my knowledge. If and when Israel and the UAE ever established full diplomatic relations, the Saudis will be in big trouble. The UAE is a fairly moderate Muslim country that has a powerful voice amongst all Muslims. The Saudis are both the keys and the stopping blocks to the Middle East peace process. The Saudi Wahabists are the ones funding and recruiting most of the anti-Israeli extremism in that section of the world but even with rising oil prices there are many unemployed Saudis where as both Israel and the UAE have to import foreign labor to keep their economies moving forward.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I know some people who have gone there and one that lives there.

It's a great place from what I hear, it's unreal. Like nothing you have ever seen. Everything is so clean and spaceious, beautiful beaches, everything new, rich etc etc

From them I hear it's a great place to visit. I wouldn't worry about that drug news thing, sounds like a rare thing.

I think most speak english? Plenty of beautiful women too from what I hear.

Definetly a place to visit one day.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Having all this zillions of dollars and getting bored from bying the lastest bentley their lives must feel empty. Living among people who have everything you have and it to be impossible to be different than anybody else in the community, i do think that many ultra rich people will become very unhappy after a while living under a dome with eachother. It will make things worse.

On the otherhand it is a great idea to protect yourself from poison in the air without wearing a filtermask. Having all these riches and just have it in the bank is also worthless. And there is always the chance it can be lost by some economic crisis. Better do something with it........than give it away to somebody in need (do not answer that)?

I am (almost) sure that the rich bad guys are prepared for the end of days with their own retreat somewhere in secluded private places. I read somewhere that the Bushes are building their private hideaway in Argentinia (like the nazies?). The royalty of The Netherlands somewhere in Africa. I wonder where the British Royalty will be.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Actually back then when I bought the flat at Dubai marina it was a freehold and I believe still is. I signed the possession purchase contract 6 months before 911 events with Damac Properties. I will not post the price I paid for it, but I can tell you that after one year the price of the flat didn’t move a % for some time.
Then as soon as US started the war in Irack, the price of the flat rocketed sky high. Then I sold the flat in 2006 with a profit which could shadow any real estate yield in the world. In fact I was choosing the buyer.
Regarding the topic at large, I was a little confused about Dubai. When I was there I always felt that this city was artificial but then looking back I know that what the Emirates wants to do is just to create they own history starting from the oil wealth. This tribe nation had come from Bedouin life style to mega modern cosmopolitan metropolis in less then 45 years. There are not any other nations that have achieved this momentum changes in such short time.
The number plate in Dubai as the Burj Al Arab as effigy, a symbol of Dubai new acquired identity.
All nations have started some where they history, Dubai is staring now.
One aspect also about the success of this city is that, emirates like to do business on trust which follows their Arab tribe culture. They trust you only once never twice. And they generosity is not only legendary but been proven by many business man and economics that work there.
If only one thing is strange and relevant to conspiracy theory in Dubai I will have to say that it is the relation with Israel. You can't get a job in Dubai if you have a stamp from Israel customs. Many will say it is this way in all Arab country, but not really. Qatar as not such sever attitude to Israel.
I have been in many Arab circles when I was in Dubai, and what I could understand is that, they are not such good friend to Persians and Zionist a like.

Kacou.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Plenty of beautiful women too from what I hear.

Oh yeah. No shortage of those. All colours, shapes and sizes. All dressed to the nines, too, because that's the way they do it in Dubai.

And best of all, everyone in Dubai is there for a strictly limited period of time (or thinks they are at least). They're only there to make as much money as possible, then they'll go off to live somewhere more like a real country. No more conducive conditions for rampant, joyous irresponsible fornication could possibly exist.

Lonely boys and lonely girls, far from home...

God, it was fun while it lasted.

kacou, thanks for the information. Much obliged.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
wow looking at those pictures just tells me
that its probably the most futuristic city in the world and very artificial looking. its going to be the safest place on earth for the wealthy and ironically its in the middle east next to war and poverty and Islamic fundamentalists. its a green zone alright. but pple never really live there because it doesnt feel like home to anyone, its a place to have fun and get rich nothing else, no one really plans on spending their lives there, its afterall an arab country.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
They have already said that oil is finite so that these are the plans to turn their economy into one for tourists. It is no secret.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kacou
The spaceport I believe is off the drawing board now.
Something more strange instead!
They are talking about encapsulating Dubai with a giant dome like glass where by Dubai will generate his own “temperate weather” when the rest of the world will succumb to harsh pollution.
Again, it is what I heard from the grapevine.
Kacou.

I suspect paranoia creeping in again instead of knowledge of existing practise. They already have the largest indoor ski slopes in the world with REAL SNOW and it generates lots of tourist dollars. So it does not take a genius to work out that huge environmentally controlled atmospheres of varying climates will generate even more tourist dollars. In addition residents would be able to pick a climate of their choice and know that it will remain constant. No hurricanes for the Florida climate. No blizzards for the arctic climate.

Would billionaires pay to have luxurious homes with an absolutely guaranteed climate of their choice? DUH!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join