It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court says 'gay' rights trump Christian rights

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Your argument, IMO, is not misguided but I believe it is false. By that, I mean that I believe the Philly 11 should have just been "detained" and set free somewhere else away from the festival. If they returned, then they should be arrested. Did this happen at all? Or where they just arrested on site?

It is my guess they were asked several times to behave themselves - tone it down - etc.

They may even have been asked to leave and refused. I doubt they were arrested and charged without cause.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You are trying to say two wrongs make a right. You are in favor of bias against the religious. You are just as bad as the religious folk who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long. Good on you.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Regardless of the fact what the preacher in your irrelevant example was doing was wrong, the arrest and felony charges against the Philly 11, "for their own protection" amounts to bias and a civil rights violation. You had your mind made up about this situation from the moment you saw it was a Christian protest of a gay pride event. That's bias, as well.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

At OJ's trial they would have called this jury nullification. It is a form of the fallacious "two wrongs make a right" argument. With perspectives such as this becoming the norm, it is no wonder the US is going down the tubes.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

OMG get a life. You are nothing but an attack artist . And then have the balls to claim persecution .

If i see a wedding at a local park . Do i then have the right to get my bull horn out and gather 10 of my atheist friends and blab about how there gonna get aids from there wedding cake? Or how possible it is they may die in a car crash on the way home so for there own protection we cant possibly let them leave?

Do i have to believe these things for it to be ok or just claim an affiliation with some group and say we have rights ?

Mind sending me your phone #? I feel anti-U and need to know where to start protesting.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

The Philly 11 were representing Repent America, not a church.

In order to maintain our freedom of religion and speech, RA has chosen not to be a state registered 501(c)(3), so please contact your tax adviser for information on donations made to aid in missions work.

Also, there are many tax exempt charity organizations, such as United Way, that have followed the rules to get that way.

My argument isn't false, it is based on the Constitutional right to free speech.

So, please try to get your facts straight before you add more nonsense to a thread already brimming with it.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

I'm an attack artist? I have been nothing but attacked in this thread. Yours are the most nonsensical of all. Hardly worth replying to. Why don't you mind your own sig and avoid the thread altogether if all you're going to post is senseless blather?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
You are trying to say two wrongs make a right. You are in favor of bias against the religious.

WOW!! Did I hit a nerve? At least you admitted to christianity's wrong against gays. That's a positive step.

You are just as bad as the religious folk who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long. Good on you.

"As bad as the religious folk"? Admitting the christians were in the wrong again. Freudian slip pt. 2? And they instigated this conflict.

"...who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long."

Not precious to me man, I'm not gay. I'm logical though.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I can freely admit that Christains have been wrong before, and I expect they will be wrong again in the future. It is no Freudian slip.

No, you didn't hit a nerve. You are just parroting the same weak argument I've refuted all through this thread and it is wearing a little thin by now.

I shouldn't have used the word "precious". Please forgive me. I do believe your logic, a construct of man, will only get you so far, though. Many things happen in life that defy logic. Not all of them are bad, either.

edit to add: Whoever is starring my posts on this page, I want to thank you for your support. It means a lot to me right now.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

Now to your deflection scheme . Do you care if i protest in front of your house cause i don't think the same as you. Can me and ALL my friends sit there on the city walk with our megaphones telling you we think your corpse is going to rot and be rejected by mother earth as not being worth to fertilize anything on her planet? If we are on the city walk its perfectly fine right?

My argument wasn't good enough cause you have nothing to counter your own logic with that don't make you look like the fool you are ,.
Your an attack (read spin artist) cause you take things that people say and try to make it seem like its not an issue. You don't address it you shrug it off and reword things to demonize it .

BTW stay on topic . My (If you know how) My sig refers to your superstitions. Not HUMAN RIGHTS which IS the topic at hand . Tho you spin everything into an attack on an off subject thing .

[edit on 21-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

At OJ's trial they would have called this jury nullification. It is a form of the fallacious "two wrongs make a right" argument. With perspectives such as this becoming the norm, it is no wonder the US is going down the tubes.

I happened to live in Los Angeles during the OJ trial and that was a total farce. First of all his peers were not middle to low income blacks who worship him as a sports hero - someone who made it - who became successful. OJs peers were the wealthy elitists. Don't even bother using that to prove any point - other then it should never have been moved out of its jurisdiction - - if the law was followed.

I am fully aware of - "two wrongs don't make a right". But ya know what - - this is a secular government or is supposed to be. And has been abused for years by a Christian strangle hold. That hold is now being fractured and shattered in all areas of justice. As it should be.

These protesters were by intention aggressive - hateful - abusive - and uncooperative to authorities. If justice is teetering on a tightrope of who is guilty - - I happily push each and every Christian who was there off the tightrope - - and they can pray there is a net.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

this is a secular government or is supposed to be. And has been abused for years by a Christian strangle hold. That hold is now being fractured and shattered in all areas of justice. As it should be.

There is no "Christian stranglehold" that has abused the government for years. That is a figment of your imagination. There has been a conservative stranglehold which has hijacked Christianity as a marketing ploy, and very effectively, I might add. The backlash is destined to be just as disastrous as the stranglehold, imo.

These protesters were by intention aggressive - hateful - abusive - and uncooperative to authorities.

You can't support this from the evidence. But you are welcme to your self delusions, as are we all.

If justice is teetering on a tightrope of who is guilty - - I happily push each and every Christian who was there off the tightrope - - and they can pray there is a net.

Careful, your bias is in full view now. Who cares what the facts are? These people deserve maltreatment because of past wrongs done in the name of Christianity.

I was living in LA during the OJ trial, too. The prosecution was a three ring circus, and failed to prove its case. You have that in common here.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

There is no "Christian stranglehold" that has abused the government for years.

YES! There is and Christians are fighting to keep that stranglehold.

Fortunately - - enough people have realized the bias and unfairness of it - - fought back - - and are beginning to make a difference.

This is not a Christian nation - never has been. Christians just try every way they can to make people believe it is.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You can't support this from the evidence. But you are welcome to your self delusions, as are we all.

I'm really tired of you referring to anyone who does not believe as you do Delusional.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Here's something from wordpress. Maybe Christian.?
Here

The civil rights complaint then followed.
“While, in its decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit did ultimately side with the city of Philadelphia, it did make some important rulings which should serve to support the rights of Christians to speak in the public square. In its decision, the appeals court rejected U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence F. Stengel’s decision from earlier this year in which he ruled that the Philadelphia 11 should have been prohibited from engaging in their constitutional rights on the public streets and sidewalks because ‘once the City issued a permit to Philly Pride for OutFest, it was empowered to enforce the permit by excluding persons expressing contrary messages,’” Repent America said.
Repent America said the appeals court found that despite the fact that the event organizers had a permit, the Philadelphia 11 had a constitutionally protected right to be present on the public streets and sidewalks within the event area and convey their message.
The court’s justification for supporting police actions against the Christians was based on “the court’s perception that the Philadelphia 11 were ‘disrupting the event,’” the organization said. “The court came to this conclusion even though the Christians were not charged, arrested or even threatened with arrest for being ‘disruptive.’”

Here's something from conWebBlog
It looks pro-gay.

It's REALLY hard to find anything in mainstream news!

Why does anyone need a permit for free speech?
Especially if it's a small, non-violent group?

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

It's REALLY hard to find anything in mainstream news!

Why does anyone need a permit for free speech?

Especially if it's a small, non-violent group?

Who exactly are you referring to as a small, non-violent group?

You don't have to be physical to insight violence. The Christians were verbally aggressive and abusive. Too bad they weren't arrested and convicted on a hate crime.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Fascism masquerading under the guise of Christianity is still fascism, not Christianity. Most of the rest of the US has been taken in by this subterfuge. If you had ever truly taken the time to know what the teachings of Christ are all about, you would know this. But, why bother? You have your boogeyman. Stereotype away.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I'm not asking you to believe me. I'm asking you to believe the facts. There is no evidence the protesters were aggressive. As a matter of fact there is plenty of evidence they weren't. Nor is there evidence to support your claims they were hateful, abusive and uncooperative. Just the opposite. You are self-deluded in regard to this case, imo.

If it is any solace, I am tired of you, too.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

I'm not holding a public event to espouse my views. You have no legitimate cause to picket my house. You are deflecting, not me. Your psuedo-logic would be laughable if you weren't so offensive.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Here's something from conWebBlog

Thank you Clearskies. It is difficult to find unbiased news sites. Conweb looks promising.

Anyway - they clearly state: demonstrators were arrested only after they refused to go to an area on the edge of the block party and went instead in the opposite direction.

A reasonable request was made to prevent a situation from becoming dangerous to the protesters safety as well as the safety of the participants.

Everyone interested in this topic should read what Conweb has to say - and their counterpoints to what New World Daily says. Its a very different viewpoint.

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join