It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court says 'gay' rights trump Christian rights

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, that's what 'they' say. He said/she said.
Apparently there is a youtube video that shows them following police instructions;

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
It is my guess they were asked several times to behave themselves - tone it down - etc.

They may even have been asked to leave and refused. I doubt they were arrested and charged without cause.

The reason why I asked is because I am a gay man. If it went down like the biased blog that started this OP states, then yes, their rights were violated.

If it happened the way that most media is telling it, then yes these christians drove over the rights of the gay people out the door (as Christians say..."shoved it down our throat"..yet they're the ones who are worried about tings being shoved down their throat HAHA). Period. And should be prosecuted.

Edit: What I mean about this remark....

It's about time. Really.

What I mean by this remark is.... I'm soooo sick of the heteros in this world choosing my life. Enough said.

[edit on 7/21/2008 by Griff]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Calling ConWeb unbiased is ludicrous. They clearly have an agenda to counter conservative portals. That is bias. The OutFest organizers own website was less biased than ConWeb.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
reply to post by intrepid

You are trying to say two wrongs make a right. You are in favor of bias against the religious. You are just as bad as the religious folk who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long. Good on you.

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought "maybe I am just a little biased?" Have you ever looked in the mirror and said to yourself " Am I satisfied with the life I'm living"? [Bob Marley...rest his soul]

If so, what does it matter to you? Do you speak to God? Everyday? So do I. Does that make you better than me? No It doesn't.

I know my God inside and out. Do you? Because your bible/preacher tells you so? I remember that brainwashing song as a child (the bible tells me so). Don't get me wrong. I do converse with my God evey day. And he tells me you people are the doomed ones. Read revelation sometime.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Griff

The Philly 11 were representing Repent America, not a church.

That is so funny because I could have sworn the first page was a"Christians link" and "All Others". Yeah, unbiased as about as much as the pimple on my rectal exam that I kinda think you want to check out. Cause ya know..."Queen:
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
".

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

The Christians countered a flamboyant, over the top, in your face, public display of gay pride (which is what I believe these events are meant to be) with their own counter event. Though I think they should have chosen another method of airing their views, I believe they had a right to speak their minds in a public setting. They did not have a right to disrupt the event. I think they were walking a very fine line with their protest. The fact that the city and police dropped all charges against them speaks volumes to what side of said line they were on. If the city and police had grounds to charge them on, they would have been charged. They didn't.

I applaud your approach to this issue. Your choice, if you consider it one, to be gay is up to you to make. You shouldn't have anything rammed down your throat that you don't desire to be there. The consequences of your choices are between you and your Creator, if, however, and whatever you recognize that to be.

Personally, I haven't had sex in over six years, and I greatly miss intimacy with a woman I know loves and cares for me, and that I feel the same way about. Consequently, I occasionally masturbate to my fantasy of what I think she should be like. That is my choice, and I live with the consequences of it. I know God still loves me and forgives me for my struggles in the flesh. I believe the situation will eventually be satisfactorily resolved. In the meantime, I confess my weakness, ask forgiveness, and seek to overcome the urges of my flesh through the strength and ministry of the Holy Spirit, which dwells within me.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It troubles me, silly as this is, that this entire thread seems to have been dancing around the point, missing it nearly every time.

It is completely irrelevant that the event was orchestrated for, or for the benefit of those who insist that their sexual predilection be the basis of their identity. If ANYONE hold a gathering under legal terms (per whatever city/government ordinance) has the right to expect to be free to exercise that gathering peaceably, and without disruption or confrontation.

It's the law. Gay, Christian, Hoola-hoop aficionados, whatever!

It's NOT a case of - is this thing called 'Gay' moral or amoral, (or even anti-moral/evil). That is a separate issue 'imposed' upon the ruling by the media and those who seek it's attention.

Simple lesson for Protestors, learn and practice your craft per the law. That's all.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

You are just as bad as the religious folk who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long. Good on you.

"As bad as the religious folk"? Admitting the christians were in the wrong again. Freudian slip pt. 2? And they instigated this conflict.

"...who have mistreated your precious gay people for so long."

Not precious to me man, I'm not gay. I'm logical though.

I AM. And it's getting to the point it is personal. Anyone want to find out how much... just U2U me and we'll see how much a nelley queen can kick some ass. Sorry to go off topic, but this just breaks my heart. I can't believe so-called "Christians" can be so hatefull. But, then again, from a lifetime of being persecuted (real persecution..not psuedo-persecution that religeous people feel) all my life may have just made me a reall asshole and biased in this matter.

Can all you "Christians" say the same?

Edit: I couldn't get the quotes right so, I'm not really quoting Intrepid but Icarus. Sorry for the confusion if any.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

There is no "Christian stranglehold" that has abused the government for years. That is a figment of your imagination. There has been a conservative stranglehold which has hijacked Christianity as a marketing ploy, and very effectively, I might add. The backlash is destined to be just as disastrous as the stranglehold, imo.

So, who you going to vote for? McCain? A Psuedo-Christian? Who wants war for a thousand years? I bet that's what Jesus wanted for our planet 2000, 1000, 500, 100, 50, 20, 5 years ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Well, that's what 'they' say. He said/she said.
Apparently there is a youtube video that shows them following police instructions;

Who took the video? How many times were requests made by police?

Are we sure its from the same event? Who would have chosen to document this situation between protesters and police.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words - but I also know it may not tell the whole truth.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Why does anyone need a permit for free speech?
Especially if it's a small, non-violent group?

Because small, non-violent groups can become big violent ones in a matter of seconds.

The point still is, would you people disregard a gay group's right to protest a funeral (a religious event)? I mean, come on, you psuedo-christian extremists. Realy look in the mirror once.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Fascism masquerading under the guise of Christianity is still fascism

You know. The more I read of your posts, the more I like you. Although, you would consider myself an abomination (maybe...maybe not). I think you started a good debate thread and I'm glad to be a part of it. Even if we may not agree.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I do have to say:

If this is the truth, then yes, I believe their rights were violated. As far as them being arrested under federal offenses.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

There is no "Christian stranglehold"

Are you joking? If there was no such thing gay marriage would be legal in our secular country, you can bank on that. I've written over a dozen papers on this, there is no sound argument against gay marriage until you get religion involved, and if you think you can even counter that please visit my participation in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't want this one to gear off topic, but I'd love the challenge there.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Personally, I haven't had sex in over six years, and I greatly miss intimacy with a woman I know loves and cares for me, and that I feel the same way about.

Sorry to go off topic, but, I just wanted to say: You'll find her man. She's out there. And I applaud you for holding out for her. Unlike many think, we homosexuals and heterosexuals are the same. I didn't have sex for 5 years until I found my current love. Just remember.....the less you look, the more you'll find......take it for what it's worth.

ministry of the Holy Spirit, which dwells within me.

I can totally agree about the "Holy Spirit" if that is what you call it. This is the spirit that tells us right from wrong (among other things) and I get a feeling, you're a good person. Even if we disagree upon this subject.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Who would have chosen to document this situation between protesters and police.

Just a guess, but maybe people wanting to keep their freedom and record it being erroded away? I know it's the thing to do nowadays for legal confirmation. Maybe this is why, maybe not. We may never know what happened between filmings. But, as much as I hate to say, they probably did have the right to be there if they were not disruptive.

Edit: But just remember, we homos have the same rights and just keep pushing us. You (universal you) keep on pushing us down. One day we might just push back.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
As a former (perhaps I should say now celibate) homosexual/bisexual who identifies as a (definitely not mainstream) Christian, I can assure you that people who protest against gay celebrations like this are trying to catch flies with vinegar. All they are accomplishing is reinforcing stereotypes in the minds of those they supposedly seek to reach. If you really have a burden to reach a homosexual (and not just bash them), then go to a gay bar and sit down next to any of the lonely souls you’ll find there, have a beer with them and get to know them. If you really follow the teachings of Christ, you wont have to tell them, they’ll eventually ask what makes you different, and you’ll have your opening. Just don’t expect instant success, and always wait to be asked. Be more caring than judgmental, and that alone will set you miles apart from the norm; the gay and/or Christian norm.

IMO, ‘Christians’ who bullhorn gay events do so not for the benefit of the homosexuals, but to look good in front of each other, much the same reason the gays are having the event in the first place. This is also why you find so much outrageous behavior at gay events. It turns into a competition to 'out gay' each other, just like Christians end up rolling around on the floor talking gibberish trying to ‘out Christian’ each other. Silly humans.

As for the OP topic, what The Redneck said.

Originally posted by Griff
Edit: But just remember, we homos have the same rights and just keep pushing us. You (universal you) keep on pushing us down. One day we might just push back.

You mean like Stonewall? What was that, like 40 years ago now? Let's not pretend that it's still the bad old days. There’s been lots of pushing back for a very long time now. The very topic of this discussion is proof of that.

yeah, yeah, an edit

[edit on 21-7-2008 by resistor]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
If you really have a burden to reach a homosexual (and not just bash them), then go to a gay bar and sit down next to any of the lonely souls you’ll find there, have a beer with them and get to know them.

Careful telling homophobes to go to a gay bar. They might just have a good time.
It might even keep them out of airport restrooms.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu

Originally posted by resistor
If you really have a burden to reach a homosexual (and not just bash them), then go to a gay bar and sit down next to any of the lonely souls you’ll find there, have a beer with them and get to know them.

Careful telling homophobes to go to a gay bar. They might just have a good time.
It might even keep them out of airport restrooms.

Yeah, that's a giggle, but if someone is having gay sex anywhere, you can hardly call them a homophobe. Closeted, perhaps. Hypocritical (like the gov stooge you are referring to), yes.

And I would recommend that everyone have a couple of pints in a gay bar. You might realize that there's a lot less swinging from the chandeliers, and a lot more hum drum normality than you thought.
I would recommend a dive, too much attitude in the upscale joints.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Just a guess, but maybe people wanting to keep their freedom and record it being erroded away? I know it's the thing to do nowadays for legal confirmation. Maybe this is why, maybe not. We may never know what happened between filmings. But, as much as I hate to say, they probably did have the right to be there if they were not disruptive.

[7/21/2008 by Griff]

I was raised Christian.

I've been to the Long Beach Gay Pride twice. I am not gay - I worked at a predominately gay company .

I believe what I believe - from my own personal experiences.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join