It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praetorians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I was curious if anyone has heard of the Praetorians, and if they actually existed, and if so, what exactly were they? Any information would be useful

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Praetorians

(pret�r�enz) , bodyguard of the ancient Roman emperors. Growing out of an early troop that served as bodyguard to the general commanding in Rome, they were formally organized in the time of Augustus. The number of cohorts (from 500 to 1,000 men each) forming the guard varied, but in the days of the later empire it was 10. The Praetorians under a prefect attended the emperor wherever he went. They had special privileges and, in the period when the empire declined, held almost unchallenged authority. Constantine I disbanded them in 312.

education.yahoo.com...

Is this what you are talking about???

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malkavin
I was curious if anyone has heard of the Praetorians, and if they actually existed, and if so, what exactly were they? Any information would be useful

Do you have any information? Did you search Google? Please post what you have.

Thanks,
kinglizard

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It also seems to be some sort of PC game.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I know about the game and the roman term for them, but I heard someone where it was a secret society of some sort as well. Didnt know if anyone had any information on that.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The Praetorian Guard was the personal guard of the Roman Emperor. They were like an ancient secret service... except they also helped make political decisions. They were quite a force in their time, numbering as many as 5000 at one point, I believe. It was them that removed more than one emperor. The most famous record fo their action was when twenty of them mobbed caligula and HACKED him to death. good times.

I heard they disband after the fall of the Western Roman empire- did you hear different?

DE

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Weren't they the "bad guys" in the movie The Net with Sandra Bullock?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yeah, they were, I just didnt know if that came from some sort of actual society, or what.. Since all fiction is based off reality

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady Lily
Weren't they the "bad guys" in the movie The Net with Sandra Bullock?

Indeed they were, and as part of the movie promotion, many "supporting" websites were set up so people would find them after watching the movie and wanting more info.

The sites are somewhat easy to identify - they are usually single-page websites with no links anywhere else on the same site, and if you do a DNS lookup on them, they're all registered by the same people.

So be careful what you believe - it could be part of the Hollywood Marketing Machine.

- Media Assassin

top topics

join