It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Asian students generally get higher marks than Latinos?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Why do Asian students generally get higher marks than Latinos?

www.latimes.com

With about 2,500 students, Lincoln High draws from parts of Boyle Heights, El Sereno and Chinatown.

Both the neighborhood and student body are about 15% Asian. And yet Asians make up 50% of students taking Advanced Placement classes. Staffers can't remember the last time a Latino was valedictorian.

But what is it? O'Connell called a summit in Sacramento that drew 4,000 educators, policymakers and experts to tackle the issue. Some teachers stomped out in frustration and anger.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
2 groups of American imigrants...

The officals are trying to figure it out.

Can you?

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
It all goes back to the home the kids go back to. Parents that care about their child's future will have children that care as well.

This has nothing to do with the kids' DNA, it is the apathy of the parents.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Most of it has to do with the culture.

As immigrants Latinos generally tend to put more emphasis on working and less on education.
Asians tend to emphasize the importance of a good education early on. Since the brain is like a muscle, the more you use it the more you develop it.

What's so difficult about this?

Another thing about these two cultures is you'll never see Asians or Latinos begging for money at some street corner somewhere, like you see American Blacks and Whites doing all the time.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Its cause old Asian lady's (30+) ARE CRAZY!!! They flip out and through things that you have never heard of at your head for even speaking loud in there house.

If my mother was Asian . I bet i would have got straight AAAAAAAAA's just to not get beat to hell .. But that's just my experience with them .

[edit on 17-7-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
"Issues" like this really burn my britches. How come everyone has to be so damn politically correct about things like this?

The reason that Asians get better grades than Latinos (mexicans) is because their (latino's) parents dont care to pay attention to their child's performance. The fact that a great deal of latino families are composed of parents who dont even speak the language that their kid's homework is in!

More importantly, WHO CARES?! Why should I or the general population care WHICH minority gets better grades? The asians work harder at home, big deal.

Things like this dont do a thing to help the situation at all.

Way to go dividing us up even more.....

ps. at the rish of sounding politically UN-correct, I bet the white kids are chubbier, the black kids fight more, the nerdy kids read more, the hot girls are sassier,and the "tough guys" are in sports.
SOMETIMES STEREOTYPES ARE THERE FOR A REASON.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Asian kids generally have been the smartest kids in class ever since I was in school 30 years ago. Yes, it's because the parents put a very high value on school, grades, and extracurricular activities. They often spend hours doing homework and review each and every night. One time, an asian student in one of my classes scored 98% for her end of year mark and cried. I felt sorry for her.

The asian kids were always excellent at things like strings class, piano, AV club, computer club...

[edit on 17-7-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You would have to look at the socieeconomic backgrounds as well. If both parents have to work to just pay the rent then there is simply going to be less time spent at home to help the kids.

It really can be that simple.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

That may be true but it's also about working smarter.
Both Asian parents will work as well but may make smarter decisions which will improve their lifestyles much quicker.
Another big factor is Asians spend less time focussing on things like sports, things that can impede mental toughness.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Of course it’s the culture at home. The same reason Jewish kids tend to excel. It’s all about what’s expected of them.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
They surpass Americans in marks as well.

In fact, if my readings are correct, they tend to surpass all students at MIT.
and they have students from all over the globe.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Don't mean to be a thread killer, but I started this thread yesterday

Please join

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Theres more pressure in their culture to succeed. But also, I was reading about scientific research being conducted on Asian athletes, due to their anatomy that allowed an instant boost of O2 to their bloodstream, muscle, and I presume brain. This was just over half a year ago, and there was quite a bit about it. Couldn't find it after 15 minute search so will look later.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Um, I don't know.

Perhaps one group of immigrants have their children:
Pay attention in school
Care about learning Put in what is required to achieve "A" grades (homework, studying....)
Tell their children if they don't do well, they embarrass not only the family but all their ancestors also.
They don't waste time watching TV.
Involve almost all socialization intergraded into school/studying/homework.......

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Culture.

White/black/asian/latino .. I don't know if it's race exclusively or if it can be broken down into ethnicities but each has it's own home culture..

Asian kids I grew up with where not "more intelligent" so to speak, but their home life strongly encouraged school first, everything else second. Other races have their own priorities it seems, not to say no black or white or Latino family does not "put grades first" ..

Exact opposite culture for blacks who's family life is degenerative, the exact same as poor whites with the same problem ..

Home life, imo, STRONGLY influences grades.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No one in the school system really wants to get to the truth of this issue due to political correctness. They're afraid of offending people and having an incredibly stupid issue like the one in Dallas over Black Holes being racist.

Anyway, the well-known biologist, James Watson, thinks it is related to genes. Of course, there is, no-doubt, a cultural aspect as well. According to a journal by psychologists from UC Berkley and The University of Western Ontario, Asian-Americans are the smartest of the groups in the US with an average IQ of 106. White Americans come in second with an average IQ of 103; Latinos, 89; African-Americans, 85. That follows Watson's ideas about intelligence related to genetics.

There has actually been some research on intelligence related genes regarding Jews. Kinda neat. Google it.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by alkali
No one in the school system really wants to get to the truth of this issue due to political correctness. They're afraid of offending people and having an incredibly stupid issue like the one in Dallas over Black Holes being racist.

Anyway, the well-known biologist, James Watson, thinks it is related to genes. Of course, there is, no-doubt, a cultural aspect as well. According to a journal by psychologists from UC Berkley and The University of Western Ontario, Asian-Americans are the smartest of the groups in the US with an average IQ of 106. White Americans come in second with an average IQ of 103; Latinos, 89; African-Americans, 85. That follows Watson's ideas about intelligence related to genetics.

There has actually been some research on intelligence related genes regarding Jews. Kinda neat. Google it.

I don't agree with the theory that races are generally more intelligent than others because of genetic make-up. I believe the ability to perform well in school has most to do with culture.

You would most likely find that those groups who generally perform well have a culture that stresses the importance of education.

Everyone (no matter what race, class, gender) has the ability to achieve a high level of success at school. No one has a monopoly on intelligence. If one group of people does poorer in performance than another group its because of lack of effort.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Theres more pressure in their culture to succeed. But also, I was reading about scientific research being conducted on Asian athletes, due to their anatomy that allowed an instant boost of O2 to their bloodstream, muscle, and I presume brain. This was just over half a year ago, and there was quite a bit about it. Couldn't find it after 15 minute search so will look later.

That's interesting.
I wonder if the extra O2 is the reason why Asians don't get hangovers.

They can get drunk and plastered one night and the next morning they are ready to take on a hard days work as if nothing ever happened.

I know this is due to some Asian enzyme that they either possess or lack, can't remember which.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sorry I don't have the link to the article. I have read in the past that one of the factors may be their diets. Asian cooking tends to by healthier for the brain. Combine this with higher academic expectations and it seems you have a pretty strong plus for academic results.

On another note, I had some Asian friends who were born and raised here, they were raised like the average culture and where not any smarter than the average person in academics.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Any answer I could give would be "wrong". So I will say good job Asian kids!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join