It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get the average Americans opinion?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Average American, Just so happens since 2000 I have been part of a panel. I'm your average 54 year old white male. Ha me! In the past year its gone from a struggle to pay for and keep what I have. Now it what can I sell or pawn to be ok for a day or two. Stuff I loved like CD's, Extra tv, Tools big market for these, the jewelry went long ago, I cryed when my wife/girlfriend pawned a few thousand in bling for a few dollars for milk diapers and toilet paper. Yard sale 10 cents each for my shirts like new. Guess I didn't need them. Next month we turn of the land line phone. I've had this number for 35 years, gone to save 50.00 a month. It won't make a difference. Looking into bankruptcy as a way out of credit card debt. Sure I knew better than to use them. But the man had me by the balls, for a no crime crime. Fines, year long class to make me a good sheeple. two years on trial, 26 actual days in court, where the judge, DA, were not available but I had to spend the day wait in court, two f ing years of there crap. Every deputy knew my girl and me, there comments they don't make men like him anymore he's a keeper. The shocker my attorney last billing for a few miscellaneous hours $10,000. Total of 47,000 dollars. Convicted of having the ability to cause bodily harm to another. Not bad they wanted me to plea to 4 felonies. My girlfriend who told everyone that I never have or would harm her in any way. Didn't matter the DA said there was a eye witness who at trial said she heard me yelling. Yep I was. Didn't know it was a crime. So the nest egg is gone, check to check living? I'd need 2 more checks to really stay where I am. But I still love life and try to do something fun with the family every week. Kicker my then 17 year old son offered a $50,000. A year entry pay at DHL. I thought all he did with that lap top was play games...bil

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It's been a couple of months.... how you southern neighbors holding out with all the negative economic news?

I hope you all are hanging on and hope for the best to make through these hard times.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here in DFW the economy is strong, though I am keeping my fingers crossed that the aftermath of Ike won't change that.

Gas is about 3/69, and milk is 3.00, since that seems to be the barameter.

I really think this is hyped, to a large degree, and I hate to seem callous, but I think a lot of the people who are "Suffering" are simply seeing the unpleasant effect to their cause coming back to them now. By that I mean the people who bought an expensive vehicle, huge McMansion, and ran up a credit card debt.

Somewhere along the line the AMerican Dream was warped into "We are owed every possible convenience" instead of "We are going to work hard to earn our status." Of course illegal immigration and outsourcing don't help, but I think those aresimply an offshoot of the larger public's general attitudes towards working.

I am keeping my fingers crossed because if this does turn out to be as bad as the media gods say, I think it will be good for us in the long run: although we will suffer it will help us to re-balance, and be a stronger country when our focus returns.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
No responses lately.

I am really curious for updates on how this crisis is affecting peoples personal lives. We all know about the economic problems that are here, but is it affecting your personal lives as well yet? If not do you think they will soon?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well I'm a small business owner and we're getting hit hard as are all the small businesses everyone is holding on to their money prices have gone down for some things but nobody trusts that ,I honestly don't think anyone is going to stop holding their breath until after the election. I'm not and I'm doing the same thing no big purchases no unnecessary purchases. it's obvious we can't believe the sunshine and butterflies the current regime keeps trying to shove down our throats,and if the Republicans win this I know things are just going to deteriorate more. You can't run a platform of screw you taxpayers we have hard times ahead you guys are going to have to get used to no pensions no ,no home values no public services and oh by the way we're going to hit you two more wars on top of the ones we already have, and expect everyone to buy and consume like people who have disposable income. Not gonna happen

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

As a small business owner.... is the slowdown sustainable for you, or is it threatening your business? I hope it never gets to the point that you lose your business. I am only trying to get an idea of how far the economic crunch has gone, and if has just lowered your standard of living or threatens your ability to make a living.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
well if it goes on indefinitely,eventually it'll kill us. So far we're hanging on but I can't say we're prospering ,just treading water . It's tough to think how many people are on a downward spiral ,there is only so much you can do to conserve resources,unless they are replenished somehow you will run out. Job loss is at a ridiculous rate to the point that it effects everyone I know directly or indirectly

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join