It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get the average Americans opinion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm up in western Canada where the economy is still strong and thankful for it, but I am looking for some first hand discussion on whats going on in the States. I am looking for insight on how this has affected personal lives of US citizens.

Is it really that bad down there or is the media just blowing things out of proportion as usual?

Has the quality of living dropped for you so dramatically or are we just hearing the worst case scenarios?

I appologize if a thread like this is already started, and if there is a thread already please post the link. I am more willing to hear and believe the current economic troubles and how it's affecting the typical americans life than Mass Media and the worst of the worst that's going on.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
well..

minimum wage is 5.45 cent a hour

a gallon of milk cost's 4 dollar's
which is allot when u have 2 kid's

gas cost's 4.20 cent a gallon here where i live.

2 onion's cost me 4.50 cent yesterday at walmart

average rent for a 2 bedroom house is 600 dollars a month rent.

50 miles round trip to work everyday...
poor people's car's are not new ..thus bad gas mileage..some are lucky to afford a car..and if they do it get's 10 mile's to the gallon.

Mexican illegal immigrant's flooding America by the thousand everyday..
taking farm job's..factory job's using fake social security number's of dead people .

if you add it all up after utility's water gas electric...lets say 300 a month for those.

ok 600 for rent
let's say 200 for grocery's

60 maybe 100 for gas to go to work a month.

then utility's 300 water gas electric .

that's 1200 dollars a month to live.

lets say we make 6 dollars a hour and work 40 hours a week.
thats 240 dollars a week.
after tax's most get around 180 dollar's a week cleared money.

do the math 180x4 is 720 dollars we clear...

so a average working man... has to work 2 job's just to have basic necessity's for his family.

of course this isn't the same for people on salary.. sitting on they arse..
giving order's to the working class guy.
they make more money ect...

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, I have to agree with this, except just up that monthly bill for gas and food every month by ALOT, not to mention the diesal truck which I noticed yesteryday was at 4.85. 3 years ago its was 1.92.
Jobs are hard to find especially if your in construction. Illigal Immigrants. Thats all I have to say about that. That subject makes me madder than #&**)
Tough times here for everyone.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by airteck

This is mostly just sensationalism. While it's true that fuel and food prices have increased, I've noticed that most parking lots at shopping centers are still full of cars, and the movie theatre parking lots are still jammed with people paying $8.00 to see a movie and another $8 for popcorn and soda. People are trimming the fat off of what they spend money on, but America is still full of gluttons who have it far better than they know.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You know , I was just thinking last night, and this thread reminded me of it.

If you got someone from regions all around the world to report how it really is,

we would have a true definition of how the news really is, rather than what we are told on tv.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Some good points but remember the US is a pretty large place and what one pays for gas or Milk in one area is not what others pay in theirs.

I only pay $3.19 for Milk and $3.75 for a gallon of gas Thats in eastern Oregon I'm glad I moved from the Cities when I did I once lived in Southern Cal then back east in Maryland.

I have fresh air and green trees

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

yes we got some bad glutton's most work in office's went to college to know how to do our job better than us to tell us what to do about the job site's.

like a average working stiff work's for a factory or construction company.
for lets say 15 year's...know's everything there is to know about his company's job's site's..
they still give a snot nose kid out of 4 years of college a job supervising you....
has never held a jackhammer..rode a bulldozer..nothing but grade's from a school make's him better at your job somehow.
and we wonder why America is screwed up atm.

we value educational system's over on job experience.
which isn't right.
i assume all country's do that thought.

Oh and temporary service's...they give you a job in a factory....and possible hire later on in 90 day's.
In our state the worker's common Joe worker.
Has to go to temporary service's for a job.
Let me explain..

I go to unemployment office look for a job... give the lady a referral number ect.. the referral say's go to Kelly service's or Nesco service's ect..
So basically you go to a unemployment office looking for a full time job..they send you to a temp service's..
because the factory pay's the temporary service's... the actual starting wage of there company let's say the factory pay's 11 dollars a hour fulltime. the temp service pay's the low class working man 6 dollar's a hour.
see my point we always got a middle man taking our money .

and the factory's only hire or take application's once you work for the temp service for for 30 day's..in 90 day's they have to hire or fire.
90% of the time they let them go.
and the circle goes again.

and you don't even get to draw unemployment..because you was never Fulltime.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by beforetime]

[edit on 16-7-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Quality of living is okay, from my perspective. The stories one hears, however...

I do notice that, as well as inflation making prices higher, to maintain the same quality of life seems to be requiring a constant awareness and change of buying patterns.

For example, I now pay $3.29 for a half gallon of organic milk, as that's the only type I've found that doesn't taste slightly of bleach. Quality of products seems to be on the decline, even as prices increase.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine

If you got someone from regions all around the world to report how it really is,

The news from this side of the water shows a huge lack in confidence in the US economy.
It also shows an actual current recession which the US government have yet to admit to. Massive spending and loss of jobs to China and India also looks to cause big problems in the near future.
Its the speculation in the Stock market and Corporate profiteering (eg Exxon Mobil) that is being highlighted as the main problems.

Things are also getting slightly tighter here in Ireland. Many of the problems are as a result of the closeness of the Irish economy to the US.

Fuel has gone up by 10% over the last 15 months. Unemployment has risen sharply. Immigration has slowed dramatically and emigration has slightly risen. Food is slightly more expensive as a result of the Oil situation. House prices have plummeted by up to 30% in some places. Borrowing interest rates are up and inflation is rising.

AND the stupid government are trying to curb how much we drink by bring in earlier closing times in pubs!!! Again!! Alongside constant price rises in Alcohol - This is the worst part by far

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I don't find it to be half as bad as the media portrays it to be, but then again, the MSM is all about the doom and gloom.

Things have gotten more expensive, and perhaps a lot of people have had to cut back on some things. For the most part though, it's business as usual most places. As dbates pointed out, the malls are still full, people are still driving and taking vacations, and everything is fine.

Things got a little tough for my family a few months ago, but I took a part time job and we are living the same way we were years ago.

The situation is whatever you choose to make of it.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Some good points but remember the US is a pretty large place and what one pays for gas or Milk in one area is not what others pay in theirs.

I only pay $3.19 for Milk and $3.75 for a gallon of gas Thats in eastern Oregon I'm glad I moved from the Cities when I did I once lived in Southern Cal then back east in Maryland.

I have fresh air and green trees
Hey Slayer69, I'm in the Willamette Valley, you are paying more for milk than I am. It's about 2.98. Gas is about the same. Nice to see Oregon represent. We do have it good here don't we, all the way around.?!
I haven't felt the economy get bad yet, just a lot of complaining about the price of gas. There are still a lot of cars driving around. And people are staying home and having some great BBQ's. When times get tougher, people come together more. We also don't have extreme weather here. A few earthquakes now and then, some flooding in low areas.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by airteck

NOt there yet but it can be on its way. It is sensationalized like the PP said.

but my husband is a mechanic. He barely has work and is done by 10am everyday.

People are cutting back when they can and it is starting to be felt. But I think it is in the preliminary stages right now.

But everything is expensive.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I agree there is a lot of complaining going on but when you consider how people live in other parts of the world

I think people need to stop buying huge pick up trucks and over priced gas guzzling SUV's maybe then the price will go down when they go out and get a fuel reasonable vehicle then maybe the price of milk will go down because the cost of transporting food stuff wont be affected by fuel costs

imho

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I dunno, I love my SUV, especially where I live. I want better forms of fuel so I can keep and enjoy my big rig.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It's as bad as you've heard, with the exception of people who have enough savings, (and/or) are little richey bitches that don't have to deal with what the common man does. The Fall of Empire! After the Soviets, did any of you "REALLY" think we would last all that long? Hope you all know how to hunt and fish......

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'll also point out that the last 3 and perhaps 4 generations of Americans have NEVER wanted and as such, will continue on in the tracks of the last generation until we all drop. Are you really all to ignorant to see this????? We KNOW no other WAY! (Present company included!)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by airteck

Can we get the average Americans opinion

Might I digress for just a moment before addressing your question?

I really hate the term "Average Americans". I'm not sure when this term started but I feel it is demeaning to any countries population calling them "Average citizens"

Our politicians use this term all the time. What the hell are they? Above Average Americans!!! All countries are made up of a diverse group of citizens. To lump them all together as "Average" really pisses me off.

Soooooooo on to your question and mind you I am not attacking you or your title I just have a little pet peeve going there.

Our sensastionalized media loves to pound the doom and gloom drum whenever possible. This generally takes place (in my opinion) more so when a Republican is the POTUS or Congress has a Republican majority.

I would agree with other's observations concerning malls, shopping centers, movies and the like. I was on Newbury Street in Boston on Sunday having Brunch with the "Fam". There was a 2 hour wait at a very expensive high-end restaurant. The streets were mobbed and most people were carrying bags from stores.

The price of fuel does not reflect an accurate picture of the entire economy.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Do you think that this economic adjustment( if I can call it that) will make America re-think how we focus on life in general? Let me explain.

We currently work on average 50 hours a week, to earn enough to pay off the interest and bills on ridiculous luxuries that is the standard set for North America (Canada is just as bad).

We have houses that could provide shelter for multiple families, Electronic devices that provide us with most of our daily interactions instead of Family interaction. Boats, RV's, and anything else that shows off your status.

Do you think that its time to go back to the simpler things in life? Or are we addicted to the wasteful lives that are now the norm?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
I dunno, I love my SUV, especially where I live. I want better forms of fuel so I can keep and enjoy my big rig.

So do I but mine is not one of those over priced never "off road" types if you know what I mean, I think if somebody gets good use out of their vehicle then no problem I'm talking about those who never use ttheir vehicle for what was designed for

Back on topic
As far as the MSM it's not as bad as they make it out to be. There is plenty of work were I live, good attitudes except for the price of gas but again it's no way as bad as most of the world.

And if people start complaining about imaagrrants taking their manufacturing jobs remember it was the white collar guys who moved factories to other parts of the world for cheaper labot not the immagrant.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
What is an average American, I look around today, and you just can't say.

You look at any news on a national level and it is all politically driven while in the midst of an election year.

The price of gas has gone up, so has utilities. My wife and I don't travel as much as we have in the past. We still out at least 5 days a week. I still send my kids mad money or gift cards to restaurants ( they all love Applebee's).

Can I even say that I am or my family is average, no...

I will say something here that illustrates the economy is slowing down, in my opinion, but it is a weird example.

Last summer, my youngest daughter went to Germany, Italy, Greece, Macedonia, and a Med cruise on a school trip. 18 kids went on this with 6 parents.

This year, only 5 other kids where with my daughter when they went to Germany, Spain, and France for a trip. Only adult was the teacher sponsoring the trip.

I can't believe there aren't that many kids who didn't want to go to Europe this year, I just think the parents thought more about home costs than sending little Johnny or Suzie to summer in Europe.

Personally, I'm still a busy guy making a living. Housing has slowed some but new construction never really affected me. I've got some crews working and my circle seems happy and complete.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join