It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get the average Americans opinion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86
reply to post by beforetime

i don't make a lot of money, i work as a manager for a luxury RV rental business in Austin texas, i make 10 an hour, have a house, a car, pay all my bills, and i still have a little left over every month to play around with/put into savings.

DO that with a wife and kids.. lol

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow! There are some lucky people out there, so far I haven't heard anyone's testimony indicate a REAL struggle. Things have changed a little here in NYC, and I notice it daily. There are scores of vacant newly built condos, that have been so for over a year. The price of groceries has of course risen, but not on all products, just things like rice, flour, meat, milk. Produce is still basically the same.

I pay $1200(2BR) in rent, and the credit companies can screw themselves until I find any possible way of paying off some of my debt. I've simplified everything in my life, because I feel it's the only real preparation I can handle for what's to come. No car, I spend $86.00 a month for my METRO PASS, and I cook everything I can. I look at all advertisements with disdain, unless it's abuse prevention or something like that. I'm no longer a "consumer" in the average sense. And the media FORGET IT! I stopped watching TV to assure that my own obervations are the closest thing to the truth that I'm going to get.

People we are all hanging by a very thin thread, a thread that some people think is infinitely strong, I pray it's stays that way, because it's a long way to fall.

Oh!, and the immigration thing cannot be used as an excuse anymore, because they've been regulating the sh*t out of that, and shooting the crap out of anyone who's from Mexico, their numbers are less now...so have fun picking produce for crap money in 110 degree heat.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

i have a g/f that i have been living with for the past 3 years, we have been together for 5, and guess what. she works too because things wouldn't work out if she didn't

you see unlike some people, i am making the choice not to have kids, at least right now. i couldn't possibly think of bringing kids into the world the way it is. maybe in the future but not right now.

i understand that things are hard, but i imagine it has a lot to do with people make poor choices in the past. the gov't is not to blame for you lack of education, or lack of drive to make things work

i take care of two horses for dogs, and as of right now, i have a friend living with me so i can help him get on his feet (we have basically been supporting him for a bout a month now) and i was still able to go out and buy myself that wii i have been wanting for a while

it's not that hard if you stop finding excuses for why they aren't working, and start looking for ways to make them work.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

junior you obviously don't have much of life's experience the way you are spouting off . what you prefer and what really makes the innovative things of this world tick are two completely different things . some of the most important inventions of all man kind were created and marketed by poorly educated people .
just read up about the history of our country and you'll discover that some of those people could hardly even read or write .
how much education do you think the man who pioneered the first powered and controlled flight of an airplane here in the u.s. had and for that matter why dont you and your superior education or drive tell some of us less educated people who it was . let me give you a hint ,,, no it wasn't the wright brothers they were 3 years to late .

how about the california aqueduct . did you know that a ditch digger who was very poorly paid was the man who engineered it ? and to think that a lazy un educated no motivation ditch digger could possibly be more of a sucess than your superior being could possibly be .

i am so sick of hearing the supposedly highly educated people of this world talking sh## about the people who may or may not be so educated without knowing the history of what really makes the world go round .

spelling edit

[edit on 17-7-2008 by ironman433]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

you see unlike some people, i am making the choice not to have kids, at least right now. i couldn't possibly think of bringing kids into the world the way it is. maybe in the future but not right now.

i understand that things are hard, but i imagine it has a lot to do with people make poor choices in the past. the gov't is not to blame for you lack of education, or lack of drive to make things work

Karma is going to bite you in the but hard if you don't watch you attitude. You better hope your girl-friend doesn't get pregnant with triplets and you find out what its like to have to struggle and not even have the TIME to go better your life.

Try and be a little more humble junior, its an honorable trait.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Im not sure what to think.

Yes gas is MUCH higher, but I have not seen a significant change in food prices. I have been living in Alaska for the past 4 years, where EVERYTHING costs more, sometimes, twice as much, as the lower 48. So, really I have only seen gas rise. I have not been affected by the economy in a negative way at all. Gas higher, I drive a little less. My lifestyle has not changed and Im not suffering for it.

I dont know anyone - friends or family - who is being significantly affected. Maybe paying more in gas, but everyone seems to be fine by re-adjusting budget.

Neither me nor them live in some lala land. Im being completely honest when I say - I see no ill affect...........yet.

Another observation I have. I am moving from Alaska, literally right now. I am driving and taking a cruise/ferry out of the state (week + trip). There are STILL TONS of people driving (huge RVs) on the road, and our cruise ship (both) have been 100% full. I have talked with staff of the ship and gas/hotels....and they have not seen a reduction in tourism. In some places, I couldnt even make a hotel reservation, due to being completely booked. So obviously tons of people are not being negatively affected by the economy.

Take what you want from this, but these are my observations. Not affecting me yet. Ask me again in a year
My response could be VERY different - though I hope not!

[edit on 17-7-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

i understand what you are saying, and im not saying that someone without an education is incapable of inventing something, or doing something worth while.

what annoys me are people complaining about making 6/hour. those jobs are normally meant for 16 year olds who are just making a little extra money, those are not the kind of jobs that gornw people are supposed to have, when they have a family to take care of. it's not that hard to find a decent paying job, that will train you to do whatever.

im young and naive about a lot of things, but i don't believe it is naive to think that a lot of the problems people have in life are brought on because of their lack of planning ahead or drive to be educated to keep up with the world.

like i said, i have a HS diploma and i am still able to at very least scrape by with a little extra every once in a while.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thanks for all the great posts so far. It is nice to hear the various opinions and how they vary through out the country and even abroad. To clarrify what I meant by the average American is just what we are seeing. Real people that have honest opinions and emotions and are willing to share them with the rest of us.

I applause those who are being considerate of people's posts and not kicking them while they are down. Sometimes people are left with no other option other than minimum wage jobs without relocating which costs money they don't have and should not be judged without knowing their full story.

Thanks again and keep the info coming. It's great to get first hand information from so many places at once.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

people that complain about making 6/hour or being over looked for promotions because they don't have an education, it's the evolution of the world, and if you aren't equiped properly to keep up with the world then you will fall behind.

i wouldn't say i have a bad attitude or that Karma is going to come back around because im saying that people who fail, normally have nobody to blame but themselves.

there are situations where it isn't entirely their fault, but that is a different topic for another thread IMO.

like i said in a prvious post, i am still young and you can consider my naive, but this isn't rocket surgery. if you fail, you have nobody but yourself to hold accountable.

in my experience the people that cry for the most help, are generally the ones least willing to help themselves.

also, i realise i will most likely get flames for what i am about to say but, if my g/f were to get pregnant, we have both come to the conclusion that the best thing for everyone would be to have an abortion, having a baby is not something i take lightly, and it's a huge responsibility that neither my g/f nor I am ready for. and i am not ok with just pawning it off on someone else. so if my SO get's preggers, and we are not ready, while ultimately it is her choice and i would stand by her 100%, i would not want to carry through with it, unless i was fisaclly and emotionally ready for one.

the being said, i don't see abortion as a means of birth control, just a way of fixing a situation that could very well screw up not only your life, but the life of the unborn child.

we take all of the precautions one would be expected to take, when they are not ready for a child.

[edit on 7/17/08 by SRTkid86]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by airteck

while i understand you aren't directing this at me, let me just take this time to reitterate

i am not some compassionless slob who doesn't care about the well being of others, or the kind of person that will "kick someone while they are down" instead, what im trying to do is shed light on the fact, that there are a lot of people out there who will be "comfortable" with their low paying job, while at the same time blaming their low rate of pay on immigrants, and people with college educations (lol)

what im saying, is that if you are in a position that you don't want to be in, embrace the TRUE American spirit and go in search of what you want. we came here for freedom, from a lot of things. and one of those freedoms that American's hold dear, is the freedom of self determination, every decision you make in your life will have ramifications. im not calling anyone dumb or saying that they don't deserve more than they have. im just saying that sitting around on a internet forum complaining about your crappy job, is not very productive. spend the time that you complain about things, on trying to find ways to make it better, and i bet that you would have far less to complain about.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I used to have extra money, but lately the prices of just basic foods are going up 10% overnight. I could be synical and say that our government will fix it for me, but that's a joke.

Milk is 3.88 and gas is 3.99

I drive a lot slowed than I used to, and I drive only where I need to. Still lots of people are packing the high end restaurants. I figure they either made their money in real estate, have two incomes already, or they are just using credit. Lots of people live to project an image of their station in life. If they are regulars at a high end restaurant, they can't just stop going. It's personal.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I talked to an employment person in Louisiana and found out quite a few things:
Almost half of the people who apply for work (be it temporary or permanent) fail drug tests. You would think they would put the weed away before looking for work.
Many show up on construction sites drunk or high.
Many quit the job before the day ends.
On the other hand, I went to work as a temp at a packaging company and was told be the supervisor that if we did a good job, we could get permanent jobs there. I talked to one "employee" who was still a temp after working more than two years there. No benefits, and no permanent jobs. So even if you are a good worker, there are no benefits out there.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

yes, that is true, it appears only a select few people luck out and get jobs with companies who can afford to get benefits for their employees.

but making 10/hour with no benefits, it much better than 6/hour with no benefits.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

I definately agree with you on that one. I just wanted to point out that there are problems on both sides, with workers who don't care and those who do. The construction jobs on a temp site payed $12 to $15 an hour (not bad in LA). The roofing jobs paid $6 to $8 an hour which is not fun when it is over 100 degrees and high humidity.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

people that complain about making 6/hour or being over looked for promotions because they don't have an education, it's the evolution of the world, and if you aren't equiped properly to keep up with the world then you will fall behind.

i wouldn't say i have a bad attitude or that Karma is going to come back around because im saying that people who fail, normally have nobody to blame but themselves.

MOST PEOPLE are hard working. The fault lies with multi-national corporations and a compliant gov. WE dont need FREEtrade we need FAIRtrade. Manufacturing in America cannot compete with slave-labor. WE DONT need a global economy that is a trick pulled off by the IMF and multi-national corporations that want to become ever more rich and greedy at the expense of the country that gave birth to them, that was built on the backs of our working class parents and grandparents. Who wants to wok themselves to the bone 60-80 hours a week to just survive go home and kill some time to just go back to work again

We used to be a different nation and could become that nation again if the youth would wake up and stop listening to those that want to control you.

Wake up please.

Wake up.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

your post was nothing more than meaningless rhetoric and had little no relevance to the topic at hand.

i understand that you think a world economy is going to be the death of us. but what if everyone started at a young age (of course with the parents hlep) started to prepare themselves for the REAL WORLD, not some make believe 1800's world where you can produce everything in house with no outsourced help.

perhaps if more people would focus on going to school, getting an education, and working hard. they wouldn't have to be the person that got fired from their landscaping job because a mexican is more than willing to come in and work twice as hard for half the price.

im not the one who needs to "wake up" here, this is 2008, not 1808. college education is important, being driven to stand out from the other 6 BILLION people in the world is important. it is also important to understand that YOUR MISTAKES, are YOURS, not mine. not the governments but YOURS.

if you can't grasp that the world is evolving and is not about to go back to a secluded each country to his own kind of economy, without some SERIOUS bad stuff happening. then i don't know what to tell you.

if you WANT to succeed bad enough, and you work hard at it. you are at least going to know that you tried your hardest, and while it may not have worked out how you wanted it. you gave it 100% and did whatever you could. sitting around and complaining that we are poor, and it's not our fault (even though all of these people that are giving us the shaft are ELECTED by people like you and me.) is not the answer to our problems

once again though, im not directing this at anyone in particular other than the kind of people that my posts describe. if you work your ass off everyday but just can't seem to get ahead, i feel for you. but whining about it is not going to get you anywhere... take the time you would spend complaining and find a solution to your problem... because believe it or not, there is one... there is pretty much always one.

think of how our founding fathers would feel looking at the vast majority of "hard working" americans. they would see us as fat lazy slobs who have been indoctrinated by gov't programs and MSM that everything that happens in this country that is bad is not only the gov't fault but should also be taken care of by the gov't..... this is the kind of country that i think they would have dreaded the most. we have literally become a fat spoiled country, who when something goes wrong they kick and scream, until the gov't sticks it's teet back in their mouth.

i for one am tired of it, what happened to self accountability, and understanding that if you want something that you have got to go out and get it. not sit around and whine, saying that it is unfair because someone has a company that started before you, and worked hard and succeded.

it's not unfair that these companies are using other countries for labor. more power to them, it's called maximizing your profits. whyt he hell would you want to pay someone 10/our to answer phones when you can pay 3/hour in another country (it may not be right, but who are we to tell them they can't do that?)

it's unfair that i have to work my ass off everyday, to pay taxes to a gov't that turns around and gives handouts to people who are perfectly capable of making it themselves in life, they just don't want to. i have no problem with helping someone who truly can't help themselves. but i have seen so many people trick and cheat the system, that now that very same system disgusts me, and i think it should go away all together. you either sink or swim, that is how i was raised, and that is how i will raise my kids, and that.... is exactly why i will be more successful in life than others. because i understand that if you want something, you have to work for it... you aren't entitled to have it given to you, just because of the country that you were born in.

the only thing in life that you are entitled to is, just that... your life, not and education, not a good job, not cheap gas, not food, not anthing... you are born, and given life from there you have to make everything else work for you. it's just that in this day and age... people have had it so easy that they think they shouldn't have to sacrifice and work hard for stuff.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

I am a cocky asshole lol

But you have it complete right... the Internet is the great equalizer, I perhaps exagerate... I work alot, a whole lot, but I can do 22 hrs on a monday if I choose to and be available Tuesday during the day to go shopping or anything else I like...

It's not even about the pay, which can be good... it's about the whole lifestyle of it, I really think people are idiots who complain about jobs when we have been given an internet to communicate on, people use it to bitch all day lol...

I have a friend who whines alld ay about rent prices and store fronts and... i'm like Holy Crap man... so Ambercrombie and Gap hold the main retail space...so what, your entry level a server is 100 bucks a month and it beats foot traffic anyway... I think it's okay that big corp control the street front because they keep things kind of safe and can afford the upkeep...

and supply students and kids with jobs... no adult should be looking at these places for a life...

here's my list of why the internet rocks the work place and anyone who's not nuts needs to be working it...

1: No boss in my personal space ever

2: No Gas and transpo costs it's green work, this is 10-15 hrs aweek back at my life to work or play with, the gas crisis is something i'm not even a part of

3: I can take any and as many sick days as I need

4: I can work as long as I like an 8 hr day is for a retard, when I do work I do 18, get it out of my way...a work day is a lost day as far as i'm concerned breaking up 40 hrs work into 120 hr week is mental

5: I live naturally, eat when i'm hungry, sleep when I need to... I breath real air, I don't have to eat crap fast food in a food court for lunch nor choke on it... I live by my bodys clock not the mans

i'm 12 years younger for this reason alone than people my age at "regular Jobs"

6: I can have a drink mid day, or leave... I have no "behavior guidelines" to follow no way I have to act or fake persona to put on... and I can handle it

7: I can do things when I want... one thing I hated was watching my dad work all week up at 5 work all day come home eat watch some tube sleep... wash rinse and repeat until Saturday

and agggggghhh thjen mom takes him shopping and everyone in the whole city is there lol on line the same frackin day... living nightmare... then Sunday it was all for the family

he had no life ever... never an issue for me on the net, i'll work all night when others sleep and have my family time, my personal time...

8: Costs, No rent for space, no gas bill, no special clothing, no commute fees like tolls, no having to buy an outside lunch...

9:... Disease and health, touched on this up there but it needs deepness... I don't get the flu at the office every year, I sit on my patio and get sunlight not flourescent light, I breathe non conditioned air most of the year, I'm almost never in rush hour traffic inhaling tons of carbon monoxide...

this alone changes my whole life...

and... peope think a drink or a smoke or the sun will give you Cancer r heart disease... WRONG, A Boss over your shoulder will, stress constant fear of your income being taken gives you cancer... flourescent lights and rebreathed air weakens you immune system 20x more than a cigarette does... sitting in traffic will cause hear tdisease 10x faster than food will especially if your not forced to eat what your forced to eat on a 15 min break...

it's always evil unless you have a great job Mc Crap burgers or Taco Hell... always some garbage place to eat set up by a business park in America lol

You get lucky you get a fast food chinese place loaded with msg or a sub sandwich shop... which is okay... but you have to friggin choke on it time wise... so you never digest it right...

The economy is what WE make of it, if your going for mc jobs you have nothing, no freedom, no healtth, no money... nothing, these are jobs you get two of when your 16 to get on your feet... or if you take a fall lol, it's happened to me...

but you never work a "job" if your bright for any longer than you have to.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
New Hampshire

Gas has been running around $3.95 to $4.02 a gallon
Milk is at $3.19 a gallon.
Heating Oil is at around $4.85 a gallon, going to need 3 tanks to get through
the heating season @ 235 gallons per tank.

I work for a Hospital and there have been some major layoffs and
cut back's in the different programs.
The attitude here has dropped through the bottom of the bucket.
This is due to Medicare and Medicade and other inshureance company
cutbacks.

Had to take the Hospital job after being a regulatory software engineer
in FDA, FAA, FEC, for software quality assurance.

Wing-Nut

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You will never get the average Americans opinion on anything on a site like this.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm a landlord.

Average Rent around here: $750

Average monthly cost of property tax, mortgage, and insurance $1100.

You do the math.

Sri Oracle

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join