It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This is why Lifting Oil Ban Won't Help... It's the 3rd story.

Off shore production can't start until 2013.
Production wouldn't be significantly impacted until 2026.
Impact on pricing at that time would be insignificant.

This is PURELY political! And unfortunately, it's going to work.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I have to take issue with the cost breakdown.

Federal taxes alone exceed 18 cents/gallon.

Yes, you are correct.

Those prices are a breakdown of each dollar per gallon. At current prices, taxes would be over $.44 per gallon and crude would be almost $3 per gallon.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I said there is warning signs that say bacteria levels are high. Do not fish and swim!!! These signs are there!!!! There is no hotels along this coast. Do you know why? There’s no swimming and fishing allowed so there’s no need for hotels is there now.

I am just curious; what relation do the high bacteria levels have to do with off-shore drilling? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This won't help out the country right now, but I'm sure it's making a lot of billionaire oil tycoons very happy.. By December, our present way of life will only be a fond memory anyhow.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Let me be the first one (in this thread) who will utter the phrase..

"and so it begins.."

Let me express IMO my fears of what will begin:

Spots where many oil reservoirs remaining underground all over the planet exist, mostly spots under local sea levels that have been discovered the recent decades but current technological limits were not permitting a low cost extraction.

With this new philosophy of abroad drilling if adopted by the US Congress many oil companies cartels backed by an US Congress can actively pursue plans for securing oil deposits in near territorial waters of other nations especially if that oil reservoirs are of a good grade, spots where of course we can find numerous political international disputes and tension between different neighboring nations since decades because of this very existence of back then "undiscovered" oil deposits but already mapped and identified since decades with the aid of space satellite aided technology, but probably many of these projects were kept in a low profile from the news sources to the general public for matters of probably national security for each nation that this kind information would affect their internal or external politics philosophies.

What can I expect from an open philosophy from the US Congress to actively seek and utilize foreign oil reserves under a possible territorial dispute between different nations:

A Russian federation with a developing military stretching its arm in to future technologies also actively seeking to intervene and press for their demand of their own slice of this cake also probably enthusiastically baked by a resource hungry demand of a Chinese industrialized giant with an also developing military stretching its hand also in new technologies and philosophies.

Contrary to what we were used to in the past, this new era of active pursue of global energy resources won't be a piece of cake.
We have to think twice and think seriously about what realities we are helping to be materialized and unfold in an both geological and geopolitical uncertain future.

One such case I can find from the top of my head of good grade undersea oil deposits and nations competing for decades is right in one of our current "ammunition depots" of global geopolitics where too many powers compete both discreetly and indescreetly.

East Mediterranean. Keep a close eye on this one.

My 2 dirty oil cents.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Bush mentioned the 'psychological effects' that opening off-shore drilling would have now at the same that he agreed with 'criticism' that the oil will not come online for sometime.

I wonder if he is aware of the the 'psychological effects' that fighting a war built on lies would have on the minds and hearts (not to mention the economy) of the American people. I wonder about the 'psychological effects' of declaring 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED' but instead of returning home, continuing on the fraud for another 5 years after the fact.

I find it more than ironic, that the oil speculation we are forced to deal with is caused in no small part by the mission in Iraq. That instead of ending that conflict (because it is still more screwed up now that it was before we went there), the only solution is to open up our natural resources to the multinational oil conglomerates.

I know this criticism will fall on some deaf ears here at ATS, but the billions and billions of US Tax Payer dollars would have been much better spent on the pie in the sky ideas of 'perpetual motion' or 'free energy'. Imagine the capital spent to line Halliburton's pockets being invested in to the University Research programs nationwide. Sure, we probably wouldn't have perpetual motion, but 5+ years of high funding probably would have made quite a lot of headway in the areas of solar, wind, and fuel cell technologies to name a few.

Sorry for the rant... But to me, the solution being presented seems so disconnected from the reality of what the 'psychological effects' being played on the American People.

I would be 100% behind new offshore drilling/drilling in protected areas if the United States first required the Oil Companies to double current refining capabilities. Meaning, building a brand new refinery equal in size (or greater) for every current refinery. Thus the new refineries would be digital, state of the art, and the old Analog would provide safe refining capabilities (even if run at 50 % capacity, whatever would be needed...) for whatever growth the population would attain before petroleum runs out and America switches to some other energy sources.

But until new refineries are built in the United States, opening up our protected oil to drilling will only give our oil away. If we can't refine it, someone can...

Personally, I think the timing of the need to open more territory for drilling has more to do with the deficit that the United States is operating under in order to continue the Iraq war. The bankers that loaned us that money need to see if the collateral that was put up to finance the war is actually worth anything.

Maybe it is just me, but the timing of the plan, and the plan itself have everything to with 'psychological effects'. But it is the psychological effects of the dollar dumping, homes getting lost, fuel inflating the price of everything at the same time that the dollar decreases, that has the American people so distracted that they are willing to do anything to try to get their own personal budgets under control.

By anything I mean giving away one of our most valuable natural resources away to the highest bidder at the time that our currency is worth next to nothing compared to just 5 short years ago.

The leases for drilling rights will be signed in today's dollars...
DocMoreau

PS...
Two strange things to note:
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Because the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is believed to contain a large supply of crude oil, the issue of drilling for oil in the area has been a debated topic since World War II. The controversy has been a political football for every U.S. President since Jimmy Carter.

Anwar

Anwar (Arabic: انوار ) is an old Arabic name meaning "Luminous".

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

and what will bush say when this "moratorium" is lifted and it DOESN'T lower gas prices (because it wont)

Will that, as well, be the democrats fault?

Its funny after 8 years of mistakes, lies, screw ups, and "uh ohs", Bush has yet to accept responsibility for any of it.

Sounds like a great leader to me :shk:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Well that is obvious, he will be long gone to live with his brothers the Saudi family and his corporate masters will still be reaping outrageous profits.

Meanwhile the new wave of speculations will be reaping the benefits of all that drilling.

And we will be stuck with 200 dollar oil barrel and 10 dollars for gas at the pump and American soverigneity will be sold to the NAFTA.

Who said that drilling offshore or anything this government do was for our benefit?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin

and what will bush say when this "moratorium" is lifted and it DOESN'T lower gas prices (because it wont)

We'll just have to see what happens to prices, won't we? Regardless, it's a good first step to get us out of this Democrat-created mess.

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Will that, as well, be the democrats fault?

Of course. They cannot be absolved of 30 years of bad judgment by one AYE vote just because they've painted themselves into a corner with bad decision after bad decision.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Bush mentioned the 'psychological effects' that opening off-shore drilling would have now at the same that he agreed with 'criticism' that the oil will not come online for sometime.

I wonder if he is aware of the the 'psychological effects' that fighting a war built on lies would have on the minds and hearts (not to mention the economy) of the American people.

Of course he is. Regardless of common belief here, the man is not a reptilian that has a forked tongue darting out of his mouth as he rubs his hands in glee over a rising body count.

I find it more than ironic, that the oil speculation we are forced to deal with is caused in no small part by the mission in Iraq.

Wow! That was profound!
War has an effect on prices!

That instead of ending that conflict (because it is still more screwed up now that it was before we went there), the only solution is to open up our natural resources to the multinational oil conglomerates.

No. We could continue with the failed Democrat policies of the past. We could become "green" overnight, and wear floral bouquets and dance underneath our solar panels, in our Victory Gardens.

I know this criticism will fall on some deaf ears here at ATS, but the billions and billions of US Tax Payer dollars would have been much better spent on the pie in the sky ideas of 'perpetual motion' or 'free energy'.

If I were King, I would have spent it on bikini research!

I would be 100% behind new offshore drilling/drilling in protected areas if the United States first required the Oil Companies to double current refining capabilities.

You can blame the Greenies and the Democrats for that one. They are the ones who have played the NIMBY game for the past 30 years.

Bush wanted to open refineries on closed military bases years ago. Thank the Dems for squashing that.

But until new refineries are built in the United States, opening up our protected oil to drilling will only give our oil away. If we can't refine it, someone can...
Someone else can and already does. We *do* import refined oil products, you know.

But both projects can be started simultaneously and worked on concurrently.

Personally, I think the timing of the need to open more territory for drilling has more to do with the deficit that the United States is operating under in order to continue the Iraq war.

Maybe, maybe not, but stopping nearly a TRILLION dollars a year from leaving the country sure won't hurt. It will, however have an added benefit of squeezing terrorist financing.

Maybe it is just me, but the timing of the plan, and the plan itself have everything to with 'psychological effects'. But it is the psychological effects of the dollar dumping, homes getting lost, fuel inflating the price of everything at the same time that the dollar decreases, that has the American people so distracted that they are willing to do anything to try to get their own personal budgets under control.

It is *very* psychological. Wall St. runs on emotion as much as numbers. Wall St. performance affects every American.

PS...
Two strange things to note:

Anwar

Anwar (Arabic: انوار ) is an old Arabic name meaning "Luminous".

Uhh...it's spelled ANWR. It's an acronym for Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ah well it's all in line with screwing up the world. I'm sure the anti GW skeptics will be happy with this.

We don't need aliens nor NWO nor illuminati nor reptilian undergound bases nor mind control from HAARP etc etc. We can screw up the human race by undoing millions of years of natural carbon sequestration by releasing it all into the atmosphere.....HOW DUMB CAN YOU GET! DUH!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ok here's some pictures from the gulf.

This is what Florida will look like after some years of drilling!

These pictures were taken just last week.

Here's a nice clean ocean from Florida. Notice the difference. Less than a year old for these pictures.

Notice you can see a jellyfish in this one. See how clear it is.

Here's a picture of key Biscayne bay it's not even nasty. It is clear and beautiful!!!!!!!!

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I am not sure if you saw my post above but I will re-ask the question it contained;

I am just curious; what relation do the high bacteria levels have to do with off-shore drilling? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Look if you want to go swim in that nasty brown oil water go right ahead. As for me I will not go in. You will have to ask them what the relations is. However, that water didn't get nasty all by itself.

I can stand on the gulf and count hundreds of oil wells. They are just lined up out there. You can see them with your own eyes.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

You will have to ask them what the relations is. However, that water didn't get nasty all by itself.

I was asking you because you have made, in my opinion, the connection between off-shore drilling and high bacterial levels in the Gulf of Mexico. Are you just speculating that this phenomenom is caused by drilling? It would be my opinion that most bacteria would have a difficult time surviving in water that has a high petro-chemical concentration.

I can stand on the gulf and count hundreds of oil wells. They are just lined up out there. You can see them with your own eyes.

I have seen them for myself; I just doubt that they lead to high bacteria levels in the Gulf of Mexico. Other enviormental issus I can understand but this one needs to be demonstrated to be true before I accept it as fact.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Nice try there skippy.
One problem, if these "conditions" were caused by Offshore drilling, then we sshould see the same conditions, only more severe, the nearer we get to an offshore oil platform, right?
Like maybe directly under the derrick?

See, as anyone whose ever dived a rig knows, drilling actually reduces the seepage of oil into the oceans (which is natural BTW) by removing the underground pressure which causes oil and gas to seep out of the floor. Furthermore the structrual elements become such great artificial reefs, that many places wont allow old rigs to be removed due to environmental concerns.

Now, are you willing to stop typing out of your ass? Or you just gonna keep on saying the same crap thats been debunked over, and over again?

Oh a BTW, I webt swimming in Carravelle texas just a few years ago, and the water was beautiful.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

What I have typed has not been debuked thank you very much. Everything you have said is your opinion only.

I have several pictures that show the differences between the two.

You know I could care less what the government does to these coast lines.

However, when floridas is ruined the same as the gulf's I don't want anyone especially you say you were not told!

I can bet my bottom dollar that before the gulf oil wells the gulf was just as beautiful and blue.

People will see flordia's water will get nasty, ugly, brown, dirty. Then they will come up with a few excuses like you do as to what it is. But none of you who believes this is the best thing will ever say the oil wells did this.

Only people with eyes wide open knows the truth.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

What I have typed has not been debuked thank you very much. Everything you have said is your opinion only.

No. Its a fact.
Fact, Drilling for oil reduces seepage of oil into the ocean.
Fact, Every oil rig worlwide has become a massive artificial reef that supports thousands of species.
Fact, the "bacterial issues" you are claiming are caused by oil drilling isn't.
Fact the biggest killer of sea life in the gulf is Algae blooms, also known as red tides, which are often brown.
Fact, you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

I have several pictures that show the differences between the two.

No, you have several pictures which show that an one particular time there was a bacterial contamination in the water. And others that showed next to nothing.

You know I could care less what the government does to these coast lines.

Then why lie like you are?

However, when floridas is ruined the same as the gulf's I don't want anyone especially you say you were not told!

Dont worry there skippy, if you're right well know long before that, what with hell freezing over and all.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Before you keep make a fool of yourself you should go to these coast and have a look yourself.

Now I have stated without a lie the truth as to what these coast look like. I have been to all these coast lines in less than a year.

So I know what it looks like.

Also the gulf coast line has been this way for well over 15 years when I first went and saw it.

So its not an over night problem. It's been this way for years and years now.

Where you been that you don't know how nasty it is.

Not at the coast that is for certain. So you have no right to argue about something you know nothing about.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Before you keep make a fool of yourself you should go to these coast and have a look yourself.

Sadly its too late for you to avoid looking like a fool.

Now I have stated without a lie the truth as to what these coast look like. I have been to all these coast lines in less than a year.

So I know what it looks like.

But obviously you have no idea why.
Again, everytime you post. You make you look even dumber.

Also the gulf coast line has been this way for well over 15 years when I first went and saw it.

Well thats becasue, its due to natural conditions. Outflow from the Mississippi, different sendiment and geologic profiles, water turbidity, etc. Subjects you have obviously never heard of. As an example the "black sea" really is black. Its due to geologic and water trubidity issues though, not from oil. The areas you are discussing have a very different natural profile. Ever been to the carribean? Ever notice how beaches on islands only a few miles apart have very different looking water?

Where you been that you don't know how nasty it is.

Not at the coast that is for certain. So you have no right to argue about something you know nothing about.

Son, Ive been there. Recently. Again, stop talking, because all you are doing is proving your own ignorance. And thats a no-no here at ATS dontchaknow?

[edit on 7/16/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join