It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Besides refining the offshore oil...
Where are all the offshore drilling rigs going to come from. Most are already being used. Currently even land rigs are in short supply.

www.offshore-mag.com...

Much ado about nothing, except perhaps a little political posturing.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44

The way I see it Doc, once we are producing our own crude we will decrease imported crude and simply refine our own.

Sure, we could decrease importing oil from other countries, and replace that oil with domestically sourced crude. But there is still a big difference in how much oil our economy currently demands versus how much we are capable of refining.
Even if you replace all foreign oil with domestic, we are still 3,485,199 bbl/day short, right now. In 7-10 years when ANWAR gets pumped, our demand will be even greater.

Much of our current price for gasoline has to do with lack of refining capabilities, not the location of origin of the crude. I am not sure you saw the demand numbers I posted, but we outpace the demand of the rest of world by a great deal. We use about the same amount of oil each day as China, Japan, Germany, Russia and India combined.

I agree we need more domestic oil pumping, but more importantly we need a lot more refining than we currently have, and we need our refineries to be modernized.

Here is a graph of top oil producers in the world. We definitely need more production to match our demand.

In my opinion though, more oil pumping doesn't help us fuel our cars and trucks unless we have more refining. Sorry.
DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I tell you what, the big fat rats are here in this nation to make money while screwing the consumers.

In other words they are in the business of making money and outrageous profits not to make gas affordable to the people.

This nothing that a political tool to get some voters and help Dinosaur McCain.

Oops sorry Js I know how much you dislike been insensitive to the conservative politicians.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by DocMoreau

The truth is we aren't even using all the refineries we have available now. The oil companies have shut them down so they don't have to pay the price of running them. The truth is, we could have more gasoline at lower prices if the oil companies would simply fix and re-activate some of the shut down refineries. But that would cost them money...

This is what I was getting at when I said...

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Since the oil companies have not built a new refinery since the 1970s, what do the neo cons plan to do with all the oil they want pumped off shore? I understand that the refineries that we already have are not working at full capacity, but once they are, how will pumping more crude oil help the current situation?

30+ year oil Analog refineries are not getting the job done. Nor are there enough of them to adequately supply the economy of a 300 million people nation completely addicted to using it as their primary fuel source.

DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

30+ year oil Analog refineries are not getting the job done. Nor are there enough of them to adequately supply the economy of a 300 million people nation completely addicted to using it as their primary fuel source.

DocMoreau

That is true. And having a nation as large, advanced, and hungry as the US rely on 30-year old machines is fishing for disaster.

The reason they are not used 100%, 24X7 is obvious: they can't handle that load anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
I have posted it in several places, but it will take at LEAST 7 years before that oil is in anyone's gas tank. I can find my post with reasoning if you want. The US will be living on foreign oil and foreign produced petroleum for a long time to come.

To all you High School graduates out there...don't bother with college...it will takes years before you see any results.

To all you people putting money away for retirement....stop right now...it will take years before you see any results.

Looking for alternative fuels? Why bother....it will take years before we see any results.

Want higher CAFE standards for automakers? It will take years before we see any results.

Speculators speculate on the future of oil. If they know there is going to be a larger supply in the future, then why would they speculate that the price is going up? They won't they will "bet" or speculate the price will come down! Immediate results!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Speculators are now salivating with the prospective that while offshore drilling will take years to show if any oil in great quantities will help US oil crisis, they know already for sure that in China they are getting into the automobile business and at the rate they are getting cars in the streets it will take about ten years before they will surpass the same amount of cars the US already have in the streets.

That means more oil and more gas to satisfy China.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I'm sure the people of China won't have to worry about their government restricting drilling their natural resources like we do.

Anyway we will be drilling for us, not China. It's all part of ending our dependence on foreign oil, and further securing our National Security.

If we didn't have to worry about our oil situation, Iran would be toast by now. So energy independence does affect our national security.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I see a lot of people criticizing the move to lift the drilling ban, even though the latest Zogby poll showed that 74% of voters were for drilling.

What I don't see are any of the naysayers offering any tangible alternatives. And simply saying "Making the switch to renewable energy" doesn't fly because that will take just as long if not longer than drilling new areas for oil. If you're going to criticize one for length of time you must criticize the other.

Got any suggestions, naysayers?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

The same way I have predicted other issues that has to do with common sense over political situations, the off shore drilling will not change anything when it comes to the prices of oil at the gas pump in this nation.

Is nothing than a show and more power to the elite rulers and oil barons.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I've watched so many "predictions" here disappear like a snowflake in July that I can't count them. And it's the same naysaying sheep bleating them out, every time.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

By the time you get a penny or two off your gas prices at the pump my friend the oil barrel will be well over 200 dollars.

What a savings we will have.

That occurs if the energy bubble doesn't collapse first.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well I think it's a start, symbolic or "political posturing" or however you want to see it. Will be interesting to see if the citizens now put pressure on the congress to lift their ban.

If we had started the ball rolling on this, and planning and manufacturing hybrids, and alternate technologies along with the drilling and figuring this out back in the 70's at the last oil fiasco, we wouldn't be in this bad of a mess.

I remember back when I was in 4th grade, long lines for gas, hours and hours long, there were even songs written about it. Inflation went up to what, 22%, oil shortages etc....then what happened....nothing, the price went down, business as usual...nothing solved. Hopefully since gas prices probably aren't ever going back down we stick with it and solve the problem instead of slapping an ornamental bandaid on it!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocMoreau
Since the oil companies have not built a new refinery since the 1970s, what do the neo cons plan to do with all the oil they want pumped off shore? I understand that the refineries that we already have are not working at full capacity, but once they are, how will pumping more crude oil help the current situation?

Here is what a ''neo con'' , The Supreme Ruler, proposed three years ago: Bush Proposes Oil Refineries on Closed Military Bases.

Much of our current price for gasoline has to do with lack of refining capabilities, not the location of origin of the crude.

This source and others claim that refining makes up only 10% of the cost of a gallon of gas as opposed to crude, which makes up 73%.

Taxes: 11 cents
Distribution and Marketing: 6 cents
Refining: 10 cents
Crude oil: 73 cents

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I don’t see this as good news if it ruins the Florida coast line the way it has the gulfs coast line. Florida’s water is beautiful and blue. The gulf's the nastiest, ugliest, brown you will ever see. Warnings signs up not to swim or fish from bacteria levels. Which were like this was before the hurricanes.

The gulf is ruin because of off shore drilling. Fish constantly die and wash up to shore. Its really nasty.

Are you on drugs? The Gulf Cost is Nasty? What, you mean like Sanibel Island, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world?
Dude, next time refrain from typing our of your ass, mmkay?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Why are we all waiting for a man behind a curtain to save us from our "Oil Addiction"?
What everyone needs to do is TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR SELF!
Are you seriously waiting for your local electric company to give you clean cheep renewable energy? Your really waiting for car companies to send you an electric car? and if you REALLY think punching more holes into our earth looking for black gold is going to bring the price of gas back down to $1.50 could you please pass me some of your cool-aid.
The only thing that is going to save you is YOU!!!
Get out stop purchasing new cars and new sneekers every five minutes stop going to Wallmart shop local dont eat so much meat buy some solar pannels and grow a frickin vegtable garden for christ sake.
My grandmother was in the depression, she was so traumatized by POVERTY that she still gardens and recycles and she is well into her 90's do you really want to wait around and feel that kind of suffering?
NO ONE IS COMING TO SAVE YOU!!! you are not special and you never were.
Take responsibility for your selves get solar wind and get your but current with energy saving, efficient life before it is to late.
The rich were always rich and if your on this website and you have less than 70 Million in the bank you are POOR!!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Opening up areas for drilling will not solve the oil problem. All it will do is keep us on the oil bottle longer. We need to kick the oil habit and turn to alternate fuels. Hydroxy is a good choice being clean and renewable.

Praise Bush and the oil cronies all you want, its your dollars your wasting or throwing into the ME pot. With 7 - 10 years before you would ever see one drop of that oil going into your tank, who do you think you will be giving your money to? It sure won't be the US but Saudis.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Boone 870

Originally posted by Boone 870
This source and others claim that refining makes up only 10% of the cost of a gallon of gas as opposed to crude, which makes up 73%.

Taxes: 11 cents
Distribution and Marketing: 6 cents
Refining: 10 cents
Crude oil: 73 cents

I have to take issue with the cost breakdown.

Federal taxes alone exceed 18 cents/gallon.

Add to that the state taxes.

Refining costs vary widely, depending on the grade. California has/had several very expensive "boutique" grades because of pollution, for example.

Distribution costs have risen dramatically due to - guess what? - the cost of fuel.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Shazam The Unbowed

Are you on drugs? The Gulf Cost is Nasty? What, you mean like Sanibel Island, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world?
Dude, next time refrain from typing our of your ass, mmkay?

How dare you cuss me like your all high and mighty!!! You don’t even know what I said. I said nothing about Florida’s beaches being brown and nasty did I now!!!! I travel a lot and have been all over the beaches from North and South Carolina all the way to the keys and all of Florida’s. I have also been to the gulf coast of Louisiana and Parts of Texas. You can see the oil drills out in the gulf you can see the carcasses of dead fish on the shore and warning signs up everywhere not to fish and swim!!!

So next time you want to cuss someone make sure you are smart enough to know what you are talking about!!!

Are you crazy!!!! Just go down to the coast from Louisiana I dare you. Find me blue water there. How about find me a sign that says its ok to fish and swim. You won't find it! Get it!!!!

It's nasty!!!! Cops patrol and tell people of the warnings to the handful of stupid people that dares to go in. Off from Houston just as nasty and brown. Yes the coast is nasty!!!!

I said there is warning signs that say bacteria levels are high. Do not fish and swim!!! These signs are there!!!! There is no hotels along this coast. Do you know why? There’s no swimming and fishing allowed so there’s no need for hotels is there now.

The differences between Florida's coast and the rest of the gulf is daylight to dark. Beautiful blue waters to nasty brown, warning signs up --to stay out!!!

Currently were not talking about Florida’s beaches are we? No!!!! I said though, they would get ruin if this drilling takes place!!!!!!

Flordia would never be the same again once the drilling takes place off their coast.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I came across this article that might interest a few people. Although it's from 2005, I think it's probably still going on today.

Source
Senator Demands Detail on U.S. Oil Exports
Written by ANWR News
Published April 06, 2005

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Oregon, is demanding that the Commerce Department release detailed reports on which companies are exporting U.S. oil, how much and where it went.

Last year the nation exported 268 million barrels of oil. Shockingly, according to Dept. of Energy figures, that's about equal to the amount of oil we imported from Iraq in 2001, the year before our latest war with that country began. It's also about equal to the most optimistic guesses about production volume from ANWR, if drilling is allowed there.

In other words, if we simply held onto our own oil, the United States would have no oil interest in Iraq at all. And it would also negate any perceived need to disturb an irreplaceable wildlife refuge in the search for oil.

But the Commerce Department refused to provide the detail Wyden wants, saying it could only be released to a Congressional committee, not an individual representative. The agency also claims federal law forbids disclosure unless a finding is made that withholding the information contradicts national interests. That sounds like hogwash to me.

Wyden's request is of significant interest for two more reasons. First, it is likely that if oil drilling is approved in ANWR, much of that oil will be exported to Asia rather than sold in the U.S. Secondly, the more obvious reason is that every motorist and politician who can warm a chair is concerned about the nation's growing dependence on imported oil. It would seem to contradict our economic and political interests to worsen this imbalance by selling off our own supplies.

In a letter sent Monday to Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez, Wyden demanded release of the information, calling it "directly relevant to the coming Congressional debate on how to address our nation's dependence on imports of oil and other petroleum products."

I'd call that an understatement. But Wyden faces an uphill battle to get a committee to demand the numbers. Though Wyden is a member of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, it and all other Congressional committees are controlled by Republicans. And as we've seen, Republicans these days aren't very interested in facts, especially if those facts contradict their agenda.

It also might interest you to know that there are 150 LESS oil refineries operating in the US now than in 1980. So it's not a matter of new refineries being blocked, the oil companies have no interest in building new refineries here and are shutting down their old ones, or more accurately, shutting down their independent competitors' refineries. Oil Refinery Statistics

Do you all know the "De Beers Business Model"? They control most of the world's diamond supply and have manipulated the price for over a hundred years, by the simple fact that they can raise the value by limiting the supply. They have huge reserves of diamonds and huge tracts of land locked up in mining leases all over the world, that would make diamonds next to worthless if they were released.

This is exactly what the big oil corporations are trying to do right now, and the public and politicians are falling over themselves to give them what they want. Nobody's even asked the most simple and obvious question - if we give you rights to take our oil from our wildlife and coastal preserves, what's a gallon of your gas going to cost us then?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join