It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
A high-level Chinese military source secretly disclosed last week that the recent earthquake in Sichuan Province caused a chain-reaction of explosions in the Sichuan mountain areas. The explosions destroyed Chinese army's largest armory, new weapon test bases and part of nuclear facilities including several nuclear warheads. This information is considered China's top military secret.
Nuclear facilities reported safe after China quake
20/05/2008 14:25 MOSCOW, May 20 (RIA Novosti) - Nuclear facilities and radioactive sources in China's Sichuan Province have been declared safe following last week's earthquake, news agency Xinhua quoted the environment minister as saying on Tuesday.
Zhou Shengxian said 32 radioactive sources in the southwest Chinese province had been buried under debris in the quake, of which 30 have been recovered by authorities.
Authorities have located the other two radioactive sources, and they will soon be excavated and transported to safety, the minister said.
Underground testing refers to nuclear tests which are conducted under the surface of the earth, at varying depths. Underground nuclear testing made up the majority of nuclear tests by the United States and the Soviet Union during the Cold War; other forms of nuclear testing were banned by the Limited Test Ban Treaty in 1963. When the explosion is fully contained, underground nuclear testing emits a negligible amount of fallout.