It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we at another 'Technological Revolution'???

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Are we at another 'Technological Revolution'???That is the question,with CERN going online in a few weeks we are now able to recreate the beginning of the Universe and make Black Holes,Hell we will be able to create WHATEVER WE WANT TO!I do not think most people comprehend the significance of CERN and that it gives us the ability to re-create the Universe.This should take us 100's of years ahead of what we are now as far as technology is concerned.I think that this IS the marker of the revolution that leads directly to FTL travel and thus communication with other species in the cosmos.

Well what does everyone else think??!!

en.wikipedia.org...

www.cern.ch...

Picture of CERN

[edit on 6/21/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
black holes dont exist, they were first made up in sci fi, then some egg heads thought they were a good idea and used them to fill in the holes in the standard model
except, they keep having to change the model to take into account the effects they keep observing

try plasma cosmology, makes much mroe sense
and as for the tech revolution, dont think so, another 5 years or so i think, then we will really start to see some serious new stuff

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I do not know what will humanity get from CERN but it is definitely a "small step for man giant leap for physics" potential. Two things however worry me.
1: I allready have problems understanding certain concepts of "modern" physics of last century , with this thing operational i can only imagine amounts of publications and Nobel prizes that will eventually make me even more confused. But it is my personal problem that should not interfere with technological progress of course.

2: I hope they did their homework. Tiny black holes are of course tiny, but their are BLACK HOLES! Be careful guys, i do not want to see event horizon from that close. I would rather slow but sure approach over fast and "interesting" one.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by babylonstew
black holes dont exist, they were first made up in sci fi, then some egg heads thought they were a good idea and used them to fill in the holes in the standard model
except, they keep having to change the model to take into account the effects they keep observing

try plasma cosmology, makes much mroe sense
and as for the tech revolution, dont think so, another 5 years or so i think, then we will really start to see some serious new stuff

"The idea of an object with gravity strong enough to prevent light from escaping was proposed in 1783 by the Reverend John Michell[6], an amateur British astronomer. In 1795, Pierre-Simon Laplace, a French physicist independently came to the same conclusion.[7][8] Black holes, as currently understood, are described by Einstein's general theory of relativity, which he developed in 1916. This theory predicts that when a large enough amount of mass is present in a sufficiently small region of space, all paths through space are warped inwards towards the center of the volume, preventing all matter and radiation within it from escaping."

Full article

I think you may have it reversed as far as which came first SF or Black holes.

Apparently these people feel that Black Holes exist.
Hubblesite:black holes

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Deson]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I thought I might share a thought I had after reading how astronomers in the 18th century viewed black holes.I find it difficult to grasp how they thought back then,which shows IMO the massive mindset differentials that occur as the species progresses technologically.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've heard about this before, is it that thing where they hope to find the answers to how atoms mass are created or something? but they don't really know what will happen when they do this?

When are they going to do this experiment? Is it june or july?

Sorry I'm confused

[edit on 21-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It goes online in July...................some experiments will be creating anti-matter(in larger amounts),identifying the Higgs Boson(God particle),creating micro-black holes,and recreating the 'Big Bang'.In fact a new,2nd generation internet called the 'GRID' has been developed,along with quantum computers to analyze the MASSIVE amount of information.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
It goes online in July...................some experiments will be creating anti-matter(in larger amounts),identifying the Higgs Boson(God particle),creating micro-black holes,and recreating the 'Big Bang'.In fact a new,2nd generation internet called the 'GRID' has been developed,along with quantum computers to analyze the MASSIVE amount of information.

Can't wait to hear the results!

Do you know what day in july? I'll go check.

Edit: can't find any day, maybe they haven't announced the exact date yet. Or I'm bad at finding info.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The 14th comes to mind,but I am not sure,you should go check.Some scientist think that it will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth.(I guess like scientist thought the 'A-Bomb' would start a unstoppable chain reaction and destroy the planet,lol)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The 14th comes to mind,but I am not sure,you should go check.Some scientist think that it will create a black hole that will destroy the Earth.(I guess like scientist thought the 'A-Bomb' would start a unstoppable chain reaction and destroy the planet,lol)

Yes I heard that, there are other threads about this I have read, it's just a bit vague in my mind, but I am very interested in what they will find or what will happen to the world haha.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think(along with many other scientist and individuals) that nothing besides good will come of this.It is paranoid and absurd to postulate that 'uncontrollable black hole' will form from a micro-black hole that will only exist for nano-seconds!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I think(along with many other scientist and individuals) that nothing besides good will come of this.It is paranoid and absurd to postulate that 'uncontrollable black hole' will form from a micro-black hole that will only exist for nano-seconds!

Yes I would like to have what you wrote in the first post more

I'm sure there will be many threads about this when closer to the time right?

I'll be here reading about all the news about what they have found out.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yeah I'm pretty sure CERN would be a disaster. There is much more easier ways to do the things we have dreamed.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Does anyone know what kind of security they have at cern? I can't recall anything said about the security of the site in any articles ive read!!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hell we will be able to create WHATEVER WE WANT TO!I do not think most people comprehend the significance of CERN and that it gives us the ability to re-create the Universe.This should take us 100's of years ahead of what we are now as far as technology is concerned.I think that this IS the marker of the revolution that leads directly to FTL travel and thus communication with other species in the cosmos.
Well what does everyone else think??!!
I think CERN is the European Council for Nuclear Research in French. I also think you are confusing it with the LHC. The ability to create stuff in particle accelerators is not new. About communications with ET and re-creating the Universe, where did you get the idea??!!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nablator

As far as recreating the universe this new largest particle accelerator in the world will give us the opportunity to re create conditions impossible with smaller accelerators.The more power you have(the longer kinetic potential) the more exotic and powerful situations you can create.As far as et goes I am betting that we will discover new 'sub spatial' dimensions,likely ones that the ets use to communicate.Yes I know CERN is the European Nuclear Research Agency,the LHC is owned by them.Acctually I first learned of them by reading the Dan Brown book(and soon movie)Angels and Demons,a good read.

[edit on 6/22/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I wonder if CERN should be its own forum on ATS. Got a feeling it will be very popular soon. That is if we all aren't sucked into a micro blackhole.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Good point.................

I am willing to bet we wont be pulled in a black hole!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I wonder what kinda sounds that thing will make when they fire it up, would suck to live above it, hearing some partical explosions goin on under you all day...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be funny if Cern , when creating a black hole, we get sucked into it, back to the big bang,, so we are our own creators.

Ama

top topics

<<   2 >>

join