It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we at another 'Technological Revolution'???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Although CERN will be going down pathes that we have not tread we are still using matter/particles already created to "create" new experiments. Whereas they may/may not duplicate conditions at the big bang I feel maybe some are using would "create" a little bit loosely. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Found some info on the network security of LHC (wouldn't want any pesky hackers on their network now would we china!
)

As part of the latest phase of openlab, CERN has launched a specific computer security initiative, investigating the fields of malware protection, anti-spyware, intrusion detection and intrusion prevention. The NetGate project, coordinated by the Helsinki Institute of Physics, was instrumental in ensuring Stonesoft was chosen to be the sole contributor of network security products.

And imagine if any terrorists gained access!!

Although considerable effort has gone into ensuring this grid is a secure computing environment, the weakest link in the chain remains local security on any given site open to visiting scientists and other staff

from; Grid Today

I also have found an interesting pdf written by the LSAG (LHC Safety Assessment Group) about the potential risks of cern found here; LSAG Cern Web

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dskys

Good post,thanks for your contribution

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hey guys, getting closer to the time now. Any news?

Anyone else excited a little bit?

I'm wondering whatever they find out, will they release it to the public? Or only some info?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It's been delayed to the end of the month.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Good point.................

I am willing to bet we wont be pulled in a black hole!

Thats an easy bet to make, considering you wont be around for payout if you're wrong.

Nah, I don't think this will do any damage either. Just another collider experiment.

When at the end of the month is this supposed to be back on?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
A couple questions to the OP:

1: you mentioned they were using quantum computers... I was under the impression that these were still in the concept stage? Someone tried to build one recently but it didn't work out if I remember correctly.

2: All this talk about "recreating the universe" when conventional science still doesn't understand how the universe works. I find that a bit presumptuous. It's like everyone's got their fingers crossed, but they really don't know what's going to happen.

The "Higgs boson" is purely theoretical and based on our conventional model of physics. It's partially what's holding the current model together, and we don't even know if it exists! What happens if they don't find it (again)? Will they just wait until the next big supercollider or finally go back to the basics?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join