It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-Grown Meat a Reality, But Who Will Eat It?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
awesome. I can envisage "microwavable" versions, where you put the thing in a machine, press start, and in an hour you have fresh meat!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
You think this is nasty?!

GEEZ! You need to be shown a video of what goes on in animal farms and meat processing plants.

I've been to a chicken slaughterhouse and I will tell you that what I witnessed bore no relationship to the descriptions I've read. The process was such as to make the horror stories impossible.

Properly run slaughterhouses might be unpleasant, smelly, and grisly, but they are not inhumane unless those who are involved make it that way, which is of course illegal.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Personally I would not eat it, but then again I already has eliminated the meat out of my diet.

No, I am not a vegetarian, I am just into a diet that includes plenty of fish including raw fish as in Japanese cuisine and chicken perhaps once a week.

But then again is about personal choices.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I wonder if it will be packaged with a disclaimer, that states that its lab grown?

Will people be able to taste a difference?

And on second thought, I wonder if this stuff will be distributed to fast food chains, restaurants, and other eating places, in order to keep prices low? without the public's awareness.

[edit on 20/6/2008 by agent violet]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You don't know much about farming or ranching do you?

No, sir. Actually I do.

You wouldn't be here to share your opinion, if it were not for American farmers and ranchers who put everything they own on the line every year to put food on the tables of the world.

And you know this how? Are you a fortune teller now? You can't tell a man's fate by using timeline's of occurrences between past and present and using the "what if this had not happened" statement. In fact I'd probably still be here, just eating a little bit less meat, but that's all speculation and non-sense and no one can ever truly know this. BTW, I was in reference to animal farms, in case you missed it *wink wink*

You should be ashamed of yourself for such a ignorant, thoughtless statement.

*hands you a mirror*

[edit on 20-6-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Properly run slaughterhouses might be unpleasant, smelly, and grisly, but they are not inhumane unless those who are involved make it that way, which is of course illegal.

Not inhumane, hence the formerly verbalized "slaughterhouse"... something smells a bit fishy.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Where's the bone? Nah.. Just let me be with my real meat that has bones. I wouldn't want to eat only fillets.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

You want it you got it.

I'm sure sooner than later they will soon create meat with bones to satisfy those that are unsatisfied. We all know how business works; please the demand and the demander eventually gives in.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Not inhumane, hence the formerly verbalized "slaughterhouse"... something smells a bit fishy.

Is English not your first language?

A slaughterhouse is a place where animals are killed and prepared for use as food.

If they are killed painlessly, then there is nothing inhumane about it.

If that bothers you, keep eating your tofu.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I would rather eat the scientists. There is no way in hell I am eating that shmeat crap. If the food runs out I am eating democrats. Of course they can give you the trots since they are 99 percent full of crap

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Who would eat it? Try asking some little boy or girl in Africa who is starving.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Would I eat lab meat?

Yes and no.

Artificially grown flesh could be an excellent source of cheap and widely available meat. This has the potential to feed millions upon millions at a fraction of the cost (both monetarily and environmentally) of conventional farming/fishing/hunting. It could be seamlessly integrated into processed food such as chicken nuggets, fish sticks, fast food, etc.

However, there will still be a large market for traditionally grown meat stocks simply for the sake of flavor. Lab meat will probably be rather bland and tasteless, or will taste... "off", due to artificial flavoring. This is because the feed the animals eat, their environment, the water they drink, their age, their health, and various other factors add to the flavor and texture of the meat. This is much the same reason that grapes grown in Napa Valley have a different taste than grapes grown in France or China - and therefore, make huge taste distinctions between even identical types of wine. For another example, look at the difference between Angus Beef and Kobe Beef.

So yes, for general nutritional needs, I will gladly eat lab grown meat. However, I will still eat hunted or specially raised meat for the occasional taste treat.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus

So shmeat? I personally love the idea, much better than my idea of growing a cow, cutting off one leg then realeasing it to the wild.

What are poeple thoughts on this, as a vegetarian would you eat it?
is it possible in the future we could buy these meat sheet in supermarkets?

I would much prefer to eat this when craving meat, then to kill and eat somthing that has a real concieness like us. Think of them as meatplants

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

Most of our meat is "grown in labs" already. Big giant climate controlled labs. ( ie: un-natural environments.)
I didn't read the links, as I find the whole idea reprehensible. If we were meant to have meatplants, nature would have provided us with pig roses and chicken stalks.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Uhh. I'll eat it. Seriously.

If it tastes good, and it's not poisonous (or at least not too poisonous,) I'll eat it.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Interesting. I was just reading a few weeks ago about a guy named Ray Kurzweil, a futurist, and meat grown in labs is one of the things he thinks will happen in the future. I guess he got that one right.

If it's cheap enough, I think that people who refuse to eat meat on ethical/moral grounds (like that animals are tortured or that kind of thing) might eat this. Those are the kind of people who still like meat, but have decided not to eat it because they don't want to contribute to animal suffering.

On one level, this shmeat sounds really weird, but if it was safe and no more expensive than regular meat, it isn't really any worse than a lot of the other manufactured foods we eat.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I guess it's a good idea in theory, but it just seems a bit weird, I don't know why.

Mellon believes that all our food should be grown lightly on the land, using the riches of the Earth and the power of the sun — not in a factory.

Maybe it's because of that, it just seems a bit unnatural to eat meat that has come from a lab and a factory.

And it would have to have been tested for a few years to make sure there are no dodgy side-effects.

If they could get a few of these factories running in third world countries then maybe they could make a difference

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well I am a Vegetarian, I don't like the idea of killing other animals unless I need too, and as I currently don't I wont. I think its a personal choice though and I don't want to turn this topic into a debate.

On the grounds that nothing dies I would not have the same problem eating it as I do meat from the traditional sources. I would want to know if its safe and if it was I would not eat it often if I ate it at all. There could be all kinds of other reasons to object though.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I will not eat it. I just don't want to eat something that is going to make me think of things like soylent green and the Matrix while I try to enjoy my dinner. I would rather eat twigs and dirt.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I see no problem with it as long as it's safe, tastes fine, and isn't too expensive. Really, how is this gross? I don't understand. Meat is meat. If nothing has to be killed to get it, then I'm all for it. Is humanity still too barbaric to accept such a thing?

[edit on 21-6-2008 by GrayFox]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join