It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-Grown Meat a Reality, But Who Will Eat It?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Lab-Grown Meat a Reality, But Who Will Eat It?

www.npr.org

Vladimir Mironov, a biologist at the Medical University of South Carolina, is among a handful of scientists culturing meat from animal tissue. His work involves turning formless, textureless patches of the stuff into mass-produced form — like meat sheets, or what one might affectionately call "shmeat."

"I personally believe that this [is the] inescapable future," he says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So shmeat? I personally love the idea, much better than my idea of growing a cow, cutting off one leg then realeasing it to the wild.

What are poeple thoughts on this, as a vegetarian would you eat it?
is it possible in the future we could buy these meat sheet in supermarkets?

I would much prefer to eat this when craving meat, then to kill and eat somthing that has a real concieness like us. Think of them as meatplants

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OK, I am not even a vegetarian and for some reason this seems odd and revolting and fascinating all at once. When I clicked the link to NPR the pic of the "shmeat" made my stomach turn.
I will assume that this is far less cruel than slaughtering animals but EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Obs out

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think you'll find most vegos have moved beyond craving meat. So in most cases it's more a point of what will meat eaters choose? Yes it is a bit ewww but then, so is the disgusting offal products that most people seem to pass off as 'meat'.

I think as consumers, everyone can agree it would be good to at least have the choice?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This reminds me so much of Star Trek tech. In the biblical account of the christ figure he had supposedly taken small amounts of fish and bread and then multiplyed them.

I've had some textured vegetable products that were very much in textured strands like chewy meat, but, they had to add certain flavors like sweetners. I believe I had heard of plants possibly being designed similarly.

I think this is a long way off in our reality, but, as far as using this on a space station, Moon or Mars base, it might be necessary.

I like the idea of recreating a persons own organs to replace their other ones. Eventually though, we will probably know how to make repairs within the body naturally as suggested in the biblical miracle healing stories.

Most likely this knowledge is kept for the elite or rich.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If it will be cheap enough it will be popular. Taken that not only protein but other minerals/fat/other stuff will be available.
There is a post here discussing who will and who won't.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
But anyway - lab grown meat (shmeat) will be surely eaten by lab grown people. Shpeople ,that is.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thanks zeroknowlege i didnt know there was another post on this matter.

Another thing to consider is, would Human grown cells ever be grown for meat?
Like maybe for people who crave human flesh(not me, i find that wierd)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow! The possibilities are almost limitless.

Tissue samples of exotic animals and even humans could be grown in the lab and someday we might even be able to buy a "Mr. Meat Culture" at WalMart and do our own right in the kitchen.

You could eat yourself and serve yourself up for dinner when friends and family gather for the holidays. "This is my body...."

Ritualistic cannibals could eat their enemies and loved ones alike without all the mess and legal hassles involved with actually committing murder, unless murder is half the fun.

I'd eat cultured chicken and fish, myself, as long as the industry was heavily regulated and inspected and the price was considerably less than conventional chicken and fish.

I have no problem at all with killing animals for food.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Excatly GradyPhilpott, People could finally answer the question"i wonder what i taste like?"

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea. I've got no problem with killing animals for food, but I think lab grown would be better, and it would allow the average person to be able to get rare and exotic meats from around the world for the same price as any other meat. I look forward to being able to purchase koala steak and ground Bob.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So now anyone can savour the taste of Paris

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

I've been waiting for this to make its economically mainstream face known. There's always been talks of it before, but nothing like this. Now we're considering the industry and economics of it.

Sure! I'd eat it! I personally trust anything created by a bunch of scientists who'd rather spend their life trying to improve Humanity than a bunch of fat, lazy chicken farmers who don't really give a crap any way it falls. Plus, I find it difficult to imagine that this meat could be susceptible to CDC or birldflu etc. We should be protected from all major world diseases if this meat is grown, and vegetarians could again eat meat without the guilt of murder.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

I have to say this is the nastiest sounding thing I've ever heard of in the world.

"Processed meat" is bad enough with what the FDA allows into our meat, a certain percentage of things you wouldn't feed your best friend, but this is beyond nasty.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You think this is nasty?!

GEEZ! You need to be shown a video of what goes on in animal farms and meat processing plants.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

I've seen them, thank you very much. I think it's nasty for a lab to in essence "grow meat", as it's as sick as them growing human ears on the back of a mouse or gene-splicing human parts into a pig to harvest.

That's as bad as Dr Mengela.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Sure! I'd eat it! I personally trust anything created by a bunch of scientists who'd rather spend their life trying to improve Humanity than a bunch of fat, lazy chicken farmers who don't really give a crap any way it falls.

You don't know much about farming or ranching do you?

You wouldn't be here to share your opinion, if it were not for American farmers and ranchers who put everything they own on the line every year to put food on the tables of the world.

You should be ashamed of yourself for such a ignorant, thoughtless statement.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

I admit when I first heard of it the thought also crossed my mind. However I'm choosing not to eat it for a number of reasons, but respect the decision of those who do.

edit: btw don't mind grady he wrote the book on 'ignorance', as well as the foreword and the sequel

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Have they tested to see if it is safe for consumption? I know a lot of things we seem to create have something wrong with it that we usually don't see coming...like our stem cell research etc. Anyhow if it were safe, I would eat it, we could even eat exotic meat that is hard to come by or illegal...would also solve some food problems.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

if it is safe and could be produced at low cost it would solve many problems

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
You think this is nasty?!

GEEZ! You need to be shown a video of what goes on in animal farms and meat processing plants.

I've seen them. Always makes me hungry.

I'm a proud PETA Member

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join