It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Real and Keep It Simple: How To Prep When Time Is Short and Money Is Tight

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It seems as if things are just spiraling out of control. Bad news is followed by worse news. And now this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

So what to do? I mean really, for those of us who aren't hard-core survivalist, it's just too late to be chucking it all, moving off the grid and eating MRE's.

Now I am not totally unprepared - I have been stocking up on a few things but, realistically, food only lasts so long and my house can only hold so many extra hard goods and staples. Not to mention I don't have gobs of extra money lying around to cushion from the rising costs of goods and gas.

I'd like some basic ideas that would be quick, easy and not ridiculously expensive. Any must have books? Printable links? I've got BoB's, that's a given in this forum. I also have Lloyd45's Top 100 Items but when you are just pretending in the suburbs, waiting for the SHTF, what can you really do?

[edit on 18/6/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I would recommend requesting a copy of the cheaper than dirt catalog. All of the things that get mentioned here like the folding solar panels, folding saw from chainsaw chain, and the yo yo fishing reels sets are all in there as well as tons of other stuff and civy mre s and all sorts of gun and sporting goods. Just check your local laws first on stuff.

From there I would take a day at Cabelas and plan on eating lunch in the cafateria and doing the afternoon too.

You just can't go wrong with hunting and fishing equipment and there are tons of reading resources as far as local fish and game in your area.

Being prepared is a whole lot more about being able to camp, hunt, gather and fish, than a giant pile of noodles and cases of sauce.

On line never gives you any ideas as to quality. It has to be seen.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If you cant go on a shopping spree to get everything you need try to focus on barter items to get what you need after the collapse.

Toilet paper MAY get you some food at first before people get used to living without it. Store a bit.

In the long run a needle and thread will be nice to trade for. People will need to mend clothes and sewing needles may not be so easy to find in the US. Who mends clothes anymore?

Distilling alcohol is illegal, so don’t do it! But LEARN HOW, it isn’t hard to do!

Making gun powder can be dangerous and sometimes illegal, so don’t do it! But LEARN HOW, it isn’t hard to do!

Water is super easy to store but most people don’t do it. A thirsty person will trade some food for a gallon of clean water; store as much as you can. You need it too.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There is one advantage available to people who live in suburbia that isn't available to the 'hardcore survivalist' groups.

The ability to know what's going on in the world.

It'll be those living in population centres which move first, if they're still alive of course...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

What got me thinking about it is the check points and wristbands for the Midwest flood victims. Not to mention the $4 plus gas. I mean how far can you bugout on that, right!?

Being prepared is a whole lot more about being able to camp, hunt, gather and fish, than a giant pile of noodles and cases of sauce.∞ Illahee

Thanks for that - it's my new ATS quote of the week! My husband is about done with all of the noodle and rice purchases.

I just want to be impactful but realistic.

Another thought I have is: What are some round-up or sucker-traps to look out for. (That's right...I can ride tinhat style real easy-like!) What I mean is, if the SHTF and things go hostile short OR long term, the CorpGov will be looking to round up malcontents and dissidents - just like me - but I'm sure they will be stealth about it.

I'm a big believer in the "Slow-Crash" theory and I want to know what strategies will keep myself and my family safe as well as what tactics to look out for.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

The best thing to remember is keep it simple. Get some high capacity weapons(m4 or ruger mini-14 and and 10 30 round mags, and a semi-auto pistol with at least 5 15 round mags) and at least a 1000 rounds each. A good tactical vest to keep your mags handy and a quick draw holster for your pistol. I have an Uncle Mikes Archangel holster that i can draw my pistol and be ready to fire in less than 2 seconds. Get a bugout bag so you don't try to take everything including the kitchen sink. Get a good first aid kit, some pain meds with an anti-inflamatoy ingredient, an extra change of clothes (military BDU's are best),a couple of good quality knives (Ka-bar's are the best), a cleaning kit and some basic tools to maintain your weapons, a good pair of binoculars, about a 100 meters of parachute cord (it's very thin yet extremely strong) and 2 or 3 days of freeze dried food.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

All that ammo and weaponry is your idea of keeping it simple!? Can I come stay with you during the collapse?
As for the rest, done and done.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Sure, the area i live in is mountainous with lots of caves, and a bunch of silver mines. And lots of wild game to eat. Very easily defended.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hmmm...is it true that according to the Patriot act (r maybe this was in II???) that with many of the items on this list (fuel, generators, firearms/ammo.), it's illegal to posess more than enough for simple, personal use, where simple personal use is defined as a one- to two -day supply unless you have a business that demands these items to be on hand to make a profit and or keep your business going?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I agree with arming yourself. Heavily. More than wondering where you'll find your next meal, you should be seriously thinking about whether or not you can kill another human being who is intent on killing you for your supplies.

Look, all you need to survive is a reliable source of water, a reliable source of food, and the weaponry to protect and defend your resources. Rain and well water will keep you hydrated — just boil it first. As long as you are armed and there are looters (and there will be millions of looters), then you'll have a source of fresh meat.

I don't have to think twice about this — pulling the trigger on a marauding thief is as natural as putting down a rabid dog. The only thing I seriously wonder about is if I can eat human flesh... But, I mean, once you waste a looter, it would be a real crime to allow the hundred pounds or so of fresh meat to rot in the street.

However, without refrigeration, the only way to preserve the meat for any extended period of time will be to dry and/or smoke it. So you'll need a reliable source of firewood, also, but that shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
SO my strategy will be to have a reserve of all of the barter items people will be desperately wanting:

ticket
airline size bottles of liquor
ciggies
coffee
staples
pain killers
feminine supplies
baby needs

...and Annubis standing behind me with a gun.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

The firewood is definately not a problem where i live, and there is lot's of wild game so i wouldn't have to eat humies.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

sounds like a plan

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It states absolutely nothing about stockpiling ammo. That would be regulated by state and local laws. In idaho where i live we are allowed 1200 rounds per weapon.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
KJ,

If you could outline what type of scenario you're wanting to prepare for, i.e bugging-in or bugging out, I'd be glad to help.

It's nice to see that people are planning ahead for the bad times that are rapidly approaching us.

[edit on 6/20/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I posted a list that says all you need for survival in any situation. That combined with basic survival skills and a knowledge of edible plants is all someone needs.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Could you post a link to the thread so we can all look it over? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Scroll up it's in this thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well that's the big question, right!?

If it's a slow crash and the standard of living just gets very low, I guess it's bug-in. Knowing your surroundings and neighbors is much more beneficial for long term success.

If it's something that causes societal break down, bug-out to a location an hour and a half away. However, having formerly lived most of my adult life in a hurricane zone, WHEN to B/O is the key. Availability of gas, traffic and not wanting to get stopped along the way are all issues.

I guess what it boils down to is 'uncertainty' and that is just something I do not tolerate well in my personal life. Mama likes to be prepared.

The other thing is money. If it's an economic crisis, I guess goods will be more valuable than money but one can only afford to buy so many supplies until your relatives just think you are a bit looney. And there's only so many places to put it. And how to store it? And will it go bad?

It's just a lot to think about and prepare for, especially if you would prefer to remain somewhat optimistic.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

That's why i like where i live. A 10 minute walk from my house and no one will ever see me if i choose.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join