It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain's Secret, Questionable (Military) Record

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
His ordeal during the Viet Nam conflict was not unique. Others, just as honorable, and just as heroic, suffered the same fate- some even worse.

That is NOT a qualification to serve as a public servant.

It does NOT justify overlooking the things you do or say.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Once again flyersfan we agree on something but keep quiet about it people might start talking.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

I don't think anyone is downplaying the fact that McCain was tortured. He served his country, and has been commended for that service.

The issue is whether or not his campaign is varnishing the truth in regards to his overall military service. It seems there are a couple of versions out there that aren't quite in line. Apparently, the spin doctors are at work.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
This is rather distressing for me to read.

I was once John McCain's biggest fan. I wanted him to become president back in 2000 and I think what the Bushes did to McCain that year was far worse than anything Bush did to Gore or Kerry (although I did support Bush in 2000 at the end). McCain always was an honest, knowledgable man and I thought the man was a role model. In fact, when McCain was diagnosed with melanoma, I remember PRAYING, yes, I prayed for someone I hardly knew, that McCain would survive the ordeal.

Now to come here and read this, just shows what you know about people. Nobody will ever doubt or trash his military service. But jeez, does he have to be dishonest about it???

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What i want to know is why would anyone want an EX POW in office?

I could see a war hero. But a guy that got caught? Running the entire military?

Seems like he has never had an exit strategy in his whole life..

What we need is a reporter or two to try and get files from the other side.. (Of the war)

And see what he did/said while there .. I mean we really don't need a traitor in office again do we?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I did not like it when John Kerry was Swiftboated. I thought it was a despicable tactic used by the GOP with a "win at all costs" mentality to tarnish the reputation of a distinguished veteran.

I feel the same way about McCain. Don't even go there.

Do you admire the GOP so much that you feel like you want to be like them? Please do not let the last eight years of NEO-CON knuckle dragging bring the DFL down to their level.

If you want to attack McCain on the issues, or question his candidacy based on his political performance... fine with me. I'm right beside you. But I will not allow another Veteran to have his service to this country questioned and maligned simply because they are in an election.

Save the slandering of Veterans to the Limbaugh and O'Reilly pinheads.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Good question. Do POWs automatically get 100% disability?

I was curious so I did a little "searching". The answer is ..... NO!

P.O.W. Benefits

For POWs detained for 30 days or more, such eligibility covers any of thefollowing illnesses that are found at a compensable level (at least 10 percent disabling): avitaminosis; beriberi; chronic dysentery; dysthymic disorder ...

*****SKIP*****

The base rate of VA monthly compensation, according to degree of disability, ranges from $103 to $2,163 per month. Veterans rated as 30 percent or more disabled qualify for additional benefits based upon the number of dependents. Dependents of those rated 100 percent disabled may qualify for educational assistance.

Now this says that the maximum pay out for 100% disability is $2,163.00 a month, so that would be $25,956.00 a year, then the government will raise it according to how many dependents the veteran gets.

Well, does anybody know how many dependents McCain can claim RIGHT NOW!

Because somehow he is getting almost $60,000 a year, over TWICE the maximum ($34,044.00 more), from what I can understand, it only goes up if you have dependents!

PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF

The ability to overcome the handicap of disability varies widely
among individuals. The rating, however, is based primarily upon the
average impairment in earning capacity
, that is, upon the economic or
industrial handicap which must be overcome and not from individual
success in overcoming it.

*****SKIP*****

Total disability will be considered to exist when there is present any impairment of mind or body which is sufficient to render it impossible for the average person to follow a substantially gainful occupation; Provided, That permanent total disability shall be taken to exist when the impairment is reasonably certain to continue throughout the life of the disabled person. The following will be considered to be permanent total disability: the permanent loss of the use of both hands, or of both feet, or of one hand and one foot, or of the sight of both eyes, or becoming permanently helpless or permanently bedridden. Other total disability ratings are scheduled in the various bodily systems of this
schedule.

I'm sorry, but from what I can dig up about this, I cannot understand, at least not right now, why McCain is catagorized as 100% disabled or why he gets so much above the maximum payout!

Does anybody think McCain has any "impairment in earning capacity"?

Because that's the way the VA rates disabilities!

I don't think he has any problems or disability at all earning a living and making money!

And don't foget his statement during the primaries, he said he was "as healthy as a horse", then remarked how old and healthy his mother was, or something like that.

[edit on 6/17/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
All I know is that he is definitely brags way more than any real ex-POW would. I know ex-POWs are not quick to share their stories. They are not quick to brag about it as they are not proud of it.

He seems to try and use this as his justification to create sympathy for his warmongering cause and justification to be president like he earned the right. But you know, I could quite honestly care less about whatever his deal really was or his arrogant self-entitlement.

Let's be realistic here...

What relevance does it have to being president and running a country?
You have to know a lot more than how to be captured by the enemy and how to crash planes to be a president. You also have to be a good liar and he is not even close.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by endrun
Flagged. Nice find, Grover. After doing so

If he's elected, we'll have another 8 years of Bushoid policies. Horrifying thought.

Not as horrifying as Obama, the least experienced and most liberal senator in Congress. The presidency is no place to be an intern, and that is what Obama is. Add that his wife is a racist and he associcates with radicals. My money and my vote is for McCain. And when Obama looses there will be rioting.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
In the thread regarding Obama's brother pronouncing him Muslim, I stated my opinion that it was entirely possible for his brother to perceive him as such and for him to have attended studies to that effect early in his life, but also for him to not be Muslim, and thus not being deceptive (his potential deception being the only aspect of the thread I felt required a response, as his religious beliefs are inconsequential to me).

Likewise, I feel that it is possible that McCain may have had influential connections and help in his Naval career, but still have served honorably and with distinction subsequently. I say this despite disagreeing with his espoused policies and stances on a wide range of issues and despite planning to vote for Obama.

My point is that, in my opinion, two seemingly contradictory scenarios need not be mutually exclusive. I don't have all of the facts and, as a skeptic, have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

[edit on 6/17/2008 by AceWombat04]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by endrun

If he's elected, we'll have another 8 years of Bushoid policies. Horrifying thought.

Uhmmmm...Presidents only serve 4 years at a time. Unless your falsely assuming that McCain could even be half as good as Bush. I'm sure because of his age and propencity to pander to Democrats, he would be more on the lines of a Jimmy Carter, George HW Bush. A 1-Termer! 4 years and out!

It's nice to see some critisism of McCain's military record, especially by people who got so upset at the treatment of John Kerry. I think the left liked to use the word "Swiftboating" Does that ring a bell to anyone?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Well,

It didn't take long for people to start abusing Mccain and his military record.

Maybe he didn't serve in the military at all!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow Mr family values cheated on and left his handicapped wife who waited on him while he was a POW?And he wants to tell me how to take care of my family?Nice.Another question.Having been a POW for so long will take a toll on your body how about the toll it takes on your mind?This man may not be fit to serve.

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's disgusting that people can actually defend that piece of trash. There is nothing questionable about his record. John McCain is an admitted traitor. The last thing this scum deserves is the presidency. But perhaps the American people deserve him.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Tricky63

I hope you didn't take my comments as an endorsement of Mr. McCain.

I am just sick and tired of the notion that that because he was a POW it automatically makes him worthy of praise.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think I am going to start a spreadsheet of all of you guys on ATS who whine like little girls whenever Obama gets ANYTHING negative said about him legitimate or not. Then I'll compare that to the same weenies in threads like this who call McCain names, belittle his service, call into question his character, call him a liar, a crook and a cheat and "little bush 3"

I will label it:

"The Hypocritical Whiny Little Girls of ATS"

Then I'll post it in some hall of shame.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not saying you can't say all those things, you certainly can.. You can say what you want, be an ass, lie, distort, even name call.. but the hypocrisy needs to stop. It seems conjecture, lack of context and outright lying is OK when it's for your side but oh so aprehensible when the other side does it right? The Liberals here are EXACTLY the same as the conservatives they bash all day long...

I find it HIGHLY telling that in EVERY Obama post where there is any question about him, be it chraracter, upbringing, citizenship, religion, or even POLICY you have shills who come in and bemoan the RACISM and HATRED of the commenters and then they come into these threads and gleefully post insults, conjecture and parrot lies with smug holier than thou attitudes..

You know who you are..
or worse.. maybe you don't??

[edit on 18-6-2008 by gormly]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by Tricky63

I hope you didn't take my comments as an endorsement of Mr. McCain.

I am just sick and tired of the notion that that because he was a POW it automatically makes him worthy of praise.
No not at all and even if you did thats your choice and it should be respected.Imo hes not fit to be president.Something is wrong with that guy.The flip flopping. The laughing he does for no reason at all like there is some joke inside his head that nobody eles can hear.His thinking that its not important to bring the troops home.The list goes on and on.The man is weird.Hes not fit to lead this country.My father served in nam.He didnt serve with McCain but he was known by the guys in army intel and he wasnt thought of as a hero.My dad is a calm kind of guy and it really takes a lot to get him upset,however mention McCain's name and he gets kind of crazy lol.He doesnt really talk about his job in nam other than saying it was one of his jobs to "find out things".He says McCain is fraud and he just leaves it at that.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
I think I am going to start a spreadsheet of all of you guys on ATS who whine like little girls whenever Obama gets ANYTHING negative said about him legitimate or not. Then I'll compare that to the same weenies in threads like this who call McCain names, belittle his service, call into question his character, call him a liar, a crook and a cheat and "little bush 3"

I will label it:

"The Hypocritical Whiny Little Girls of ATS"

Then I'll post it in some hall of shame.

Dont get me wrong here, I am not saying you can't say all those things, you certainly can.. You can say what you want, be an ass, lie, distort, even name call.. but the hypocrisy needs to stop. It seems conjecture, lack of context and outright lying is OK when it's for your side but oh so aprehensible when the other side does it right? The Liberals here are EXACTLY the same as the conservatives they bash all day long...

I find it HIGHLY telling that in EVERY Obama post where there is any question about him, be it chraracter, upbringing, citizenship, religion, or even POLICY you have shills who come in and bemoan the RACISM and HATRED of the commenters and then they come into these threads and gleefully post insults, conjecture and parrot lies with smug holier than thou attitudes..

You know who you are..
or worse.. maybe you don't??

[edit on 18-6-2008 by gormly]
Can you please add me to your list.Being a whiny little girl on ats sounds like lots of fun.I can even wear my grandma's easter hat and my wifes old prom dress for the group photo.Oh and ill need to get some new shoes and a purse

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Put it this way APC. If a torturer was going to rip out your fingernails with a pair of rusty pliers, would you tell them the information they wanted to know?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join