It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah meteor?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Residents of Utah saw a fireball streaming through the daylight sky, even hearing a sonic boom at times as it passed overhead. Some reported a UFO to authorities, who quickly determined that it was a meteor passing very close to the Earth.

NASA had a representative tell the media that meteors are a 24/7 event. Some are so close that they can be seen in daylight. Have any of you heard of that before? Plus, if it was so clearly seen as to be within our atmosphere, where did it crash? Why didn't anyone see it hit the ground? Look at th epicture below:

www.rockymountainnews.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well, it is definitely burning up. Are you alluding that this wasn't a meteor?

Also, this photo isn't from Utah. Why are you posting this photo in relation to this article?

Edit:

NASA had a representative tell the media that meteors are a 24/7 event. Some are so close that they can be seen in daylight. Have any of you heard of that before?

You just posted a picture of a daytime meteor. The photo is in the evening, but this is not at night.

Plus, if it was so clearly seen as to be within our atmosphere, where did it crash?

The picture you are trying to relate to this article was "sofa sized". Meteors routinely burn up in the atmosphere before they hit the ground. This either breaks them up in to small pieces or completely disintegrates them.

[edit on 6/11/2008 by apolluwn]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by apolluwn

No im just giving people an idea of what was seen.. And no i dont believe it was a meteor, why didnt it crash into earth? Nasa say it just scimmed past our atmosphere, Dont believe a word that comes out of nasa..

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Well, a lot of information that comes out of NASA is dubious, but that doesn't mean meteors don't routinely burn up in the atmosphere. They do and many would not leave much, if any, indication they had traveled through our atmosphere.

By the way, sorry for the edit above. Should have just replied again.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

That is very speculative for you to assume it appeared anything like that.

Jim Rickard of Denver saw the meteor while he was driving to work. He said it was green-colored and seemed to move slowly.

"It would compare to landing lights on an aircraft," he said. "Noticeably bright but not brilliant."

That is not like the picture at all.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Ok i believe you, relax.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Relax? I am completely relaxed.

I was just saying that there is no way it appeared like that from the description in the article. I wasn't coming after you or anything.

Just letting you know it was pretty over-dramatized with that picture. That's all. Honest.

It probably looked like this:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

That looks like a shooting star moving very quickly, one resident must of got a photo of the real one.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

A shooting star is just another name for the path a meteoroid makes when it enters the earth's atmosphere.

Fireball is a term that defines its brightness.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Yeah but the residents said it was moving slowly.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Here is the link, it is the right picture, just found it..

www.ksl.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

It was skimming the upper atmosphere. Think of it this way; The higher a plane is in the air the slower it appears to move, correct? Same thing here.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

You said this picture wasnt utah, it is..

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther

They did the same thing you did.

Schoolboy's photo amazes Nasa

Edit in reply to your post:

KSL news report was in 2008. Cites "NASA" for photograph.

BBC report was in 2003 and the kid is holding the photograph. It was sent to NASA.

Simply put.. It isn't from Utah.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
And just a quick follow-up. You can see from the pictures he is holding that this was moving anything but "slowly".

Daytime fireball in Brazil (very bright outside):

Daytime fireball from 1998 Leonid Meteor shower (early morning this is more accurate as to what it might have looked like):

My belief is that some people made it out to be more than it was...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I dont believe you, your tryna do mind control on me..

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
WOW!

I hope that was a joke.

Otherwise, I am really glad I just manipulated the internet for my ingenious scheme to control your mind!

I went through a hell of a lot of trouble to convince you a meteoroid was what went through the skies visible above Utah, didn't I? Hell, I even got the BBC to change the articles to corroborate my fanciful story about a kid that photographed a meteoroid and its its trail.

Believe whatever you want.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

It was a joke, calm down.. I messed up on this thread did'nt i, Thanks for not losing patients with me

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
You didn't mess up at all. You just wanted an answer to what seemed like an interesting story to you. It certainly didn't help that a news organization posted a story almost two years after the fact with a photo of a meteoroid that looks like it was about to become a meteorite attached to the article.

The picture had nothing to do with the Utah incident. I think its an honest mistake on your part, but seems pretty blatant on theirs.

As for my response, I'm sorry if I jumped the gun there (I was really hoping that you weren't serious), but my sarcasm sensors don't work very well over the internet.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Much apreciated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join